fbpx

How do you celebrate New Years?

Home Forums Miscellany Community How do you celebrate New Years?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    twindragonsmum
    Participant

Anybody have any family traditions or a special way of ringing in the New Year? My family usually celebrates together from great gra’ma down to the newest, youngest member. Gra’ma-Great (as she’s called πŸ˜€ ) makes her grandmothers recipe for oyster stew. We usually eat finger foods all day and put together jigsaw puzzles and play board games like monopoly, life and risk. Lots of the time the dads, who are now gram’pas, break out all the old family movies and our kids get to giggle at ‘how things were in the olden days’. The uncles generally play football against all the cousins and later Gra’ma-Great will play the piano and we all sing all the old songs that she taught us when we were growing up in four and five part harmony. At midnight we toast in the New Year with sparkling cider. Our family has five living generations. We all used to live in a 3 hour driving radius in California. This year, though, things will be different. We are now literally scattered to the four corners of the earth. From California to Oregon to Washington State to Idaho to Utah to Arizona to Cape Cod, Massachusetts to Melborne, Australia to Edinburgh, Scotland. So, my little piece of the family will still eat Gra’ma-Greats oyster stew, play board games and eat all day. Then we’ll toast in the New Year with cider. There will probably be sledding and snowball fights instead of football or we may go iceskating at the outdoor rink. Then we’ll run up the phone bill calling the rest of the family at their various midnights to wish them happy new year. Not the same celebration that I grew up with but maybe it’s time for some new traditions. πŸ˜€ So what do you do for New Years?

twindragonsmum

tdm

twindragonsmum
      Participant

tdm

frozendragon
        Participant

hmm….I snore a lot….sometimes I drool….depends on if I have a cold or not….this year I’ll prolly just snore….

frozendragon wrote:

hmm….I snore a lot….sometimes I drool….depends on if I have a cold or not….this year I’ll prolly just snore….

And how does that differs from the every other day again?? 😈

frozendragon
          Participant

Jvargas0667 wrote:

frozendragon wrote:

And how does that differs from the every other day again?? 😈

um it doesn’t that was the whole point….LOL

dragonmedley
            Participant

Nah, we don’t really celebrate it.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
              http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
              I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
              http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Stephanie
              Participant

A bottle of bubblie… two glasses and midnight… that is all without popping the cork off in the house and breaking something… LOL

Pegasi1978
                Participant

New Years is an anniversary of sorts for my husband and myself. Seven years ago (Jan. 1, 2000) we started dating seriously. Six years ago (Jan. 1, 2001) we got engaged. We don’t really do much on the New Years though. I’ll probably be going to bed before midnight since my husband is working the day shift in Iraq and will be at work during New Years for me. I might be able to wish him a happy new years around the time it will be new years for him if he is still online at the time.

me my roommate and my gf are going to sit at home…play eq2 and get tanked πŸ˜†

Since the turn of the Millenium and before I have been hosting New Years parties that include various Martanelli’s apple juice bottles, Fireworks (and fire-dancing), bonfires, s’mores, loud ‘suped cars with various DJing abilities, sword-fighting, poppets of sacrifice, and the same wonderful people year on year.
                  They have followed me from town to town as I have moved and I have done my best to keep up the tradition despite hardships.
                  This year will be no different… I’m “combining parties” with a friend who is new to the traditions and making it easier on my usual crowd who are from Northern California.
                  We sing, we dance, we laugh, we gossip and indulge (usually alcohol and drug-free). A toast is given, the drinks are downed, the ball drops and the count down goes… 3, 2, 1… Confetti sprays and we rejoyce. Then we play with fireworks. 😈
                  Yes, fireworks are illegal in most of the California, but where we were… not too many people cared. πŸ™„
                  I’m actually beginning to look forward to this one.

Here’s a Myspace link to the past parties (my dearest friend Walkz posted these)

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=5033148&albumId=527651

Maria
                  Participant

The past few years I’ve babysat while parents went out celebrate. This year will be no different. That’s fine with me. It’s quiet and relaxing.

darjeb
                    Participant

My b/f and I celebrate with the neighbors. There are 10 houses on the cul de sac and nobody has family in Florida. At approximately 11:30 PM we all start to gather around the large planter in the center of the cul de sac. This goes on until about 3:00 AM. This year I bought plastic wine glasses because in past years at least one expensive crystal wine glass has been dropped and it is a mess to clean up.

lamortefille
                      Participant

I’ll be working, as usual (woo hoo).

Bob

I’ll be sitting in front of a fire with my cats on New Years Eve this year just like the past few years

siberakh1
                          Participant

I normally either travel to some friend’s house from college or do First Night in Saratoga. However, this year I have to work until Midnight *bah*, so my co-worker and I (if he comes back to work Monday… he’s currently out with Bronchitis) will have noise makers and a bottle of sparkling juice to celebrate (since we both have almost an hour commute home.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.