fbpx

Help with painting – mirrors, etc?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Help with painting – mirrors, etc?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Blight
    Participant

Hello everybody – does anybody have any techniques or recommendations in painting a PYO when you have limited arm movement?

I am going through some very bad flare ups since August last year, and my arms have fused closer to my torso so I can no longer ‘reach out’ and thus I cannot see very well what I am holding. I have unfinished PYOs I want to paint as well as other projects, but I don’t know what to do.

My family insists that able-bodied artists use mirrors and third-hand clip attachments to help them paint and draw.

Does anyone have any experience or feedback?

Rachel
      Participant

I’m not sure I can help much, but I can suggest a lazy susan/turntable. That way, all you have to do is turn the turntable to get at the back of your piece. It won’t help much with having to reach up, but it’s something.

Hope your flare ups die down soon ๐Ÿ™

Blight
        Participant

Yeah, I use a Winston Cake turn table ๐Ÿ™‚ That was before I lost more arm movement, and I haven’t tried it again yet.

Heather
          Participant

Although I don’t have any personal experience here, an idea that occurred to me was using a small video camera–like the video app on a smartphone–set up to relay to a monitor placed where you could comfortably look at it. It would take some getting used to, but if the camera was attached to something so it didn’t move, and was focused on what you held in your hands, then it could relay a nice clean image to the monitor.

Of course a mirror could do this a lot more cheaply! But the angle of the mirror might prove difficult to work with, or difficult to set up so that it wasn’t in danger of falling over. The camera’s more flexible: you could set the camera in different places if you needed to look at the PYO from a higher or lower angle. You might even be able to zoom in on an area.

Best of luck to you!

Setsunawolf
            Participant

My roomie’s dad is an artist. He has lost some of his vision, so he has his tv set up to recieve images from his iPad. The tv blows up the area enough that he can now see the area he is working in. I don’t know if it would help with limited arm movement, but it would allow you to paint at weird angles and be able to see what you are doing, so you have the piece in a manner more comfortable for you limited range of movement.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
              Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
              Sun Dragon Koi #3

Blight
              Participant

Thanks! ๐Ÿ˜€ This really helps.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.