fbpx

HELP! Mother coiled egg problem

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody HELP! Mother coiled egg problem

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer
    Keymaster

kitsunelady wrote:

Blackdesertwind wrote:

Wouldn’t it just come back? 😕

That would be my assumption…so maybe you could seal it up so no more air could get at it after cleaning it off. I have no idea how to gold leaf (my mental image is ‘put down some sticky stuff, attach gold leaf’), but isn’t there something you put over it…? Maybe that would work. o.o;

Actual gold leaf is real gold, and would not tarnish, so there is never a need to seal it.

The gold on Windstones is plated gold, and apparently there was a problem. 😮

Going to move this to Ask Melody just so she knows this is an issue!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
      My art: featherdust.com

BDW
      Participant

Jennifer wrote:

Actual gold leaf is real gold, and would not tarnish, so there is never a need to seal it.

The gold on Windstones is plated gold, and apparently there was a problem. 😮

Going to move this to Ask Melody just so she knows this is an issue!
        Melody knows since Susie sent me a replacement but unfortunitly the other one has the same problem. I didn’t want to tell Melody or Susie because I didn’t want them to send another replacement.
        I just wish I could do something. I’ll have to sell this one for less then what I paid because of it. 🙁
        I don’t want someone else to have the problem either.

Lokie
        Participant

I had the same problem on the egg of an emerald mother coiled. I was able to clean the spot off almost completely with baking soda, but there’s still a tiny dot. I wasn’t sure if the baking soda was cleaning it or just buffing it off, and I didn’t want to buff all the gold electroplating off trying to get every trace of it. The emerald mother is an older piece, so I can’t see it being a new problem. And I had this happen on a horn of a lap dragon I had as well. So if it’s copper in the plating, the spots will keep coming back?

How do they electroplate something? Can the spots be where something is attached to the egg to hold it during the electroplating process? And therefore creating a spot that isn’t getting covered in the gold completely? Just guesses.

kitsunelady
          Participant

Hmm, after all this talk, I went and looked at my Jade Silver coiled mother…she’s got the same problem. o.o;

Bodine
            Participant

This is so very informative,thanks.I live in humid city 70%of the year,this could be a major issue for me.I just started this year so I haven’t had my dragons down here long for this to happen.Can you put gold leaf on the egg and horns and it not take away from the factory “mint” value,so to speak?Will the green come through the gold leaf also? :yes:

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
              (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
              Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Jennifer
              Keymaster

bodine6127 wrote:

This is so very informative,thanks.I live in humid city 70%of the year,this could be a major issue for me.I just started this year so I haven’t had my dragons down here long for this to happen.Can you put gold leaf on the egg and horns and it not take away from the factory “mint” value,so to speak?Will the green come through the gold leaf also? :yes:

Altering a piece does take away the ‘mint’ value, but if you add genuine gold leaf then one should consider that it is a monetary increase in value. Gold leafing is pretty hard to do nicely though, and it’s expensive to do.
                Green should not come though. Genuine gold leaf is actual gold and should contain no metals that would oxidize.
                Note that most gold leaf that is sold through craft shops is not real gold.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com

Bodine
                Participant

Thank you Jennifer.Very helpful.
                  Can you make a section on Windstone care?Just a place to put all these different threads together about care for them, problems like this that some are not aware of,like myself for instance on this matter.ThanKs all for the good info. 😀
                  Thank you much…

Jennifer
                  Keymaster

I actually wanted to put together a F.A.Q. about Windstone care but I am not sure what happened to that project.

I suppose I could still do one and just leave it as ‘unofficial’. 🙂

darjeb
                    Participant

I just checked my brown mother – there are no spots on the egg but she sure is dusty maybe the dust preserved the gold on the egg.

Addition – I have to take that back I just turned her over and there is a great big spot on the almost underside of the egg.

Melody
                      Keymaster

I’m going to get John to look at this and see what he says.

kitsunelady
                        Participant

Here is my egg…I think I have some green in the same spot as you, darjeb.

It looks like it’s hatching. o.o;

machineguts
                          Participant

That second to last pic looks like egg laying time! 😆

Leigha
                            Participant

machineguts wrote:

XD yes it does!

Bodine
                              Participant

machineguts wrote:

XD XD made my day XD XD
                                Thank you Jennifer 🙂

kitsunelady
                                Participant

Erk, I didn’t even think of that. 😆 *is disturbed now*

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.