fbpx

Has anyone ever donated bone marrow?

Home Forums Miscellany Community Has anyone ever donated bone marrow?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Laurie
    Participant

Laurie
      Participant

They are having a bone marrow donor sign up at work. One of the firefighters daughter who is 6 months old has a rare blood disorder that mimics cancer. She will need to go through radiation therapy and need a bone marrow transplant. I signed up for the donor drive but Danny isn’t too happy about it. He says its too risky and I need to think about my family first. I honestly don’t care about being poked with pointy sharp needles. Has anyone ever donated bone marrow or know someone that has? What kind of side effects did you have?

Adaneth
        Participant

I’ve been on the registry for three years but haven’t come up as a match for anyone yet, sorry I can’t help.

I hope that poor little girl can get a match and pull through. 🙁

Setsunawolf
          Participant

Not an expert here. But I think the real problem with donating marrow is your health insurance doesn’t cover it. So you are out of work for weeks, and have to pay the hospital bill. The other risk is it is very painful and I think you can have negative side effects. This is from the mayo clinic http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bone-marrow/CA00047 But I don’t know how accurate it is, I always take things like this with a grain of salt. After all, they want me to donate, so they don’t want to scare me away.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
            Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
            Sun Dragon Koi #3

Adaneth
            Participant

Maybe it depends on who you’re doing it through. I’m registered with the NMDP (National Marrow Donor Program) and the below is from their website. I don’t want people thinking this costs the donor something!

Who pays for the donation process?
              Donors never pay for donating, and are never paid to donate.

All medical costs for the donation procedure are covered by the NMDP or the patient’s medical insurance, as are travel expenses and other non-medical costs. The only costs to the donor might be time taken off from work.

You can read more FAQs here: http://www.marrow.org/DONOR/When_You_re_Asked_to_Donate_fo/Donation_FAQs/index.html

Generally you’re out of the hospital in a day, I can’t imagine missing work for that long because of a few small incisions.

Setsunawolf
              Participant

My information might be dated. It use to be a very taxing procedure, but I think Andeth’s info is probably more up to date. 🙂

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                Sun Dragon Koi #3

siberakh1
                Participant

I would email the NMDP to inquire about how much time off someone might have to miss or any other questions you might have. They could probably give you a pretty good idea. I know someone who donated (local Olympic speed skater… she went to the Calgary games in 1988.. she was a match for her brother, who is alive and well today because of her donation :)). This was done back in the late 80s, early 90’s though, and I know the procedure is much improved now and I believe a lot less invasive than it used to be (just like many other surgeries), thanks to improved technology and techniques.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.