fbpx

Harry Potter DH **SPOILER THREAD** DO NOT ENTER unless read!

Home Forums Miscellany Community Harry Potter DH **SPOILER THREAD** DO NOT ENTER unless read!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Pam

I don’t remember much of GoF, so maybe that is my problem, lol. I mean, I wasn’t really SURPRISED that JK put Ron and Hermione together, I just had a hard time seeing it work in real life (yeah, I know, like HP is real life anyway.. Wait, no, what am I saying?? Of course its real, it must be real!! *clutches books with crazed look in eyes*)

Sorry, I just don’t see parseltongue as being the sort of thing that can be immitated. Sort of like trying to immitate german…. 😯

Pam Thompson wrote:

-Not knowing whatever happened to Harry’s aunt and uncle, and Dudley.
      -Harry’s scar not dissappearing. That was his big connection to Voldemort, I was sure that at some point the scar would dissapear. Like a release.
      -Ron speaking parseltongue. He just tried hissing, and “poof”, it worked!? If it was that easy, everyone would be doing it! Parseltongue is a rare and special gift. It doesn’t just come out by trying to hiss like a snake.

Yes i agree, i would have liked to have know what happened to Dudly etc πŸ˜•

No don’t agree with the scar, its a scar why would it vanish? πŸ˜†

yea, that was a little odd Ron speeking that, kinda felt that it was all to easy πŸ˜• But then Ron had Harry say it so many times before. Its like saying hi in egyptian, you may not be able to speek or understand the language but you can say a few things. I guess with Harry and Voldemort its already in their head and they don’t know it wouldn’t be able to write it down if ou see what i mean but can just do it πŸ˜€

Pam Thompson wrote:

I don’t remember much of GoF, so maybe that is my problem, lol. I mean, I wasn’t really SURPRISED that JK put Ron and Hermione together, I just had a hard time seeing it work in real life (yeah, I know, like HP is real life anyway.. Wait, no, what am I saying?? Of course its real, it must be real!! *clutches books with crazed look in eyes*)

Sorry, I just don’t see parseltongue as being the sort of thing that can be immitated. Sort of like trying to immitate german…. 😯

I figured Ron and Hermione out from the start. I knew they were just a matter of time. What surprised me was Harry and Ginny at first. But it made sense as well once I got over my surprise.

Why not, it is just another language? And one can imitate German, it may not be accurate, but you can repeat sounds you’ve heard. Children do it all the time, you know. πŸ˜‰

Kyrin

I think parcel tounge is a little different from that but yea, i didn’t think it was too Odd Ron doing it πŸ˜€

Ok… my take on this book can be summed up with: AAUGH HARRY DID NOT DIE WHAT THE HECK.

And I was so ready for him to die. Sigh. I really wanted him to. And that one chapter where he realized what was going on and has one hour left to live–my God, that was so powerful, SO powerful–and having him not die after that, well… ok, so it was neat what happened afterwards. The whole thing with everyone thinking he was dead, and him having to lie there and pretend–that was extremely powerful. HOWEVER. If he had died, the entire world of HP fans would have exploded into one collective mourning force, and it would have been astounding. It would have been beautiful. I WOULD HAVE LOVED JKR FOREVERRRRR.

As it is… the ending was just god-awfully happy. I’m sorry, people, but Harry Potter can not have an ending like that! The whole thing with the series up until this point has been that JKR is not afraid of killing people. That’s why it was revolutionary, right? That’s why parents wouldn’t let their kids read the series (well, among other things, at least), because it was scary and harsh and people stayed dead. And now look what happens–she gives it a perfect happy ending and fails to kill the main character! There wasn’t even anything left to be resolved! Everything was perfect and SO HORRIBLY HAPPY. AARRG! Why, children’s literature, WHY?!?

And also, the Harry/Ginny coupling never struck me as gold. Sure, it was cute at the beginning of the series, but later on became contrived. 7th book Ginny was so gag-inducingly shallow. She was pretty spiffy in the 3rd and 5th (I think it was 5th) books, but jebus, she’s just this “Oh Harry I love you” character toward the end.

As for Ron/Hermione, that just made me laugh. The bit with the basilisk fangs was so funny. *grin* That, I can live with. Harry/Ginny… well, ok, I could’ve lived with it if they didn’t name their kids Lily and James. LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LA–*gasps for air* … Yeah, I’ll shut up now. Albus Severus rocks my socks, though.

Sorry about the novel. O.O Did not realize it was so long.

Now that I’ve been done awhile, I find myself sorrier & sorrier for Snape. He was never happy: bad home life, never got the girl of his dreams, was responsible for her death, never had anyone know he was good, died not knowing if he made a difference in the end, was never really liked by people… at least Dumbledore was loved…

My deep, dark secret is that I was kind of hoping she would kill off Ron. But to kill off Fred instead? 😯 I loved Fred.

I like happy endings so I didn’t mind that Harry lived. Actually, I would have been extremely pissed if he had died. Sorry, Chessie, I’m shallow that way. πŸ˜‰ I read the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever 20+ years ago and I still froth about him killing off Saltheart Foamfollower.

Severus Snape should go down as one of the truly great characters in literature. And casting Alan Rickman was a stroke of genius. NO ONE, in my humble opinion, does a better bad guy. Ok, who turns out to be good in the end. I just wish he had been in the last book more.

Kill off Ron?? No way! That’s some dark secret! But I agree that killing off Fred was worse. He & George were my favorite characters (in the books; I’m still not a huge HP movie fan). And I agree with the earlier comments, George w/o Fred seems a sad and tragic thing, esp. w/their dream joke shop.
      My dark secret: I was wondering if Dumbledore could’ve been a bad guy, if Snape was going to really be good. (But she wrapped that up nice & tidy, didn’t she?)

I said it was a deep, dark secret. Ron annoyed me – personally I think Hermione could have done better.

I was betting Harry was going to end up as Hogwart’s Defense against the Dark Arts teacher. I wonder what he did do? Any ideas?

Anyone have a favorite scene from the books? My all time favorite was when Mad Eyed Moody turned Draco Malfoy into the amazing bouncing ferret. πŸ˜† I was glad they put that scene in the movie.

Barbara
      Participant

I loved the book. I love happy endings. Though I would have been ok if Harry had died as long as He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named went with. I’m amazed at the world she envisioned and planned out. It might not be the best litery prose ever but it has people of all shapes, sizes, ages, etc. reading. An amazing feat in this day of movies & short attention spans. I cried for Dobby. I criedfor Harry as he marched bravely to his death. I love reading a book that I hate to put down & pulls at me until I finish reading! This series has been an awesome ride and I’m glad I got on the train!

I have to admit that I was really happy that Snape ended up being good, and that Dumbledore’s faith in him had been well put. I now understand exactly why Dumbledore always maintained that he believed and trusted him.

I too was a bit disappointed in the naming of Harry and Ginny’s kids, with the exception of Albus Severus, it would have been really cool if Severus had known, wonder if they told his Headmaster portrait in the office.

I was really sad that Lupin and Tonks died though, course I kinda saw it coming with Dora went after Remus after he’d asked her to stay home with the baby. At least they were together anyway. Poor Teddy though.

Losing Fred really broadsided me. I actually cheered out loud when Neville chopped off Nagini’s head, I was so proud of him. I was also cheering when Mrs. Weasley kicked ass, if anyone deserved her fate, Bellatrix did.

I also liked how Harry took down Voldemort, took him down verbally, completely brought him low, explaining all his mistakes and failures, then letting Voldemort make his last and final error. I liked how he reduced him back to Tom Riddle in the end, taking away his self proclaimed title as well, that was a master stroke, showing Tom he was not as all knowing and powerful as he thought he was, and in front of all his followers, leaving them no doubts about their leader’s failings. Brilliant.

There was a good reason for doing to that way too, by pointing out Voldemort’s failings and arrogance, I feel it really made clear that their faith was misplaced from the start. And hopefully humiliated them enough that no one in their group would even consider reviving Voldemort’s cause ever again.

Overall though I really enjoyed the book and was delighted with how it ended and the tying up of all the loose ends. I look forward to seeing the movie series finished. And to my son getting to the point where he can sit long enough to really listen to me when I read the story to him.

Course I have a million questions, like did Harry end up the Defense against the dark arts professor, or did he become an Auror, or maybe even headmaster of Hogwarts. I am leaning towards Defense teacher. Partly cause he was good at it, and also because I think he’d had his fill of endangering his life.

Did Ginny and Harry end up raising Teddy Lupin, or did his grandparents? Whatever happened to the others not mentioned.

Kyrin

Melody
        Keymaster

I love trying to analyse why an author did certain things, and what function certain characters have in a story.
          I was sure that the only purpose Ginny could serve, as a fairly two-dimensional love interest, was to get killed off, or held hostage or something.. I was wrong.
          Killing Hedwig early on had a purpose. You were smacked right in the face with the cold realisation that this story is going to be ruthless. Even more so than the others. After that happened, I was very nervous about which beloved character was gonna be off’ed next. I was just sure Hagrid would get it at some point.
          I really wanted a grand finale’ with Snape, Harry and Malfoy fighting side by side and defeating You-know who together. Oh well, I guess that would of been too cliche’. but I love cliche’s

DantheDragon
          Participant

Here’s an article where Rowling talks about what careers everyone has and whatnot for those who are curious what Harry is up to aside from naming his children after dead people πŸ˜€

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/19959323/

Kyrin wrote:

I also liked how Harry took down Voldemort, took him down verbally, completely brought him low, explaining all his mistakes and failures, then letting Voldemort make his last and final error. I liked how he reduced him back to Tom Riddle in the end, taking away his self proclaimed title as well, that was a master stroke, showing Tom he was not as all knowing and powerful as he thought he was, and in front of all his followers, leaving them no doubts about their leader’s failings. Brilliant.

There was a good reason for doing to that way too, by pointing out Voldemort’s failings and arrogance, I feel it really made clear that their faith was misplaced from the start. And hopefully humiliated them enough that no one in their group would even consider reviving Voldemort’s cause ever again.

I thought that was pretty spiffy, too. I was kind of laughing at the way Harry gave Voldy a dose of exactly his own medicine because I kept thinking “Aaah, Harry has the evil overlord explaination disease!” But all in all it was great to see him do that.

As for Snape, Snape is awesome! Through and through! Of course, the thing with him and Lily was a bit predictable, I can’t count the number of theories I’ve seen to that effect over the years. I’m a bit sad we didn’t see more Snape. His batman exit was one of my favorite parts! Bahaha! Snape-shaped hole in the window…

I did think it was tooo Happy i thought i heard about killing two main characters off, so in that group for me is Harry, Ron, Herm and Voldemort.
            The fact that Voldemort died and it was all well was a little to happy for me πŸ˜€ but great none the less i was shocked and happy πŸ˜€

Me and my best mate thought Ron was a gonna or someone in the weasly family πŸ™ surprised it was only fred thought it might have been more main people.

Aw i wish Snape knew that harry knew he was on Harrys side when he died that was a little sad πŸ™

Yeh go Neville πŸ˜€

Only now after we have read nineteen years on, i cant help but think well what happened after the battle whats eveyone doing now what happened to Harrys aunt etc can harry speak parcel toungue who is head of Hogwarts now is mcgonagal still around? (sorry can’t spell her name)

Ho hum i am disapointed because we will never know those things πŸ™ thats just what i thought though.
            Over all i enjoyed it immensly!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.