fbpx

Happy St. Paddy's Day!

Home Forums Miscellany Community Happy St. Paddy's Day!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    twindragonsmum
    Participant

Happy Saint Patrick’s Day everyone! Which color do you wear/support the Orange or the Green? If I can find the link I’ll post “The Irish Rovers” song about the dilema of the orange and the green…..

twindragonsmum 😀

tdm

twindragonsmum
      Participant

tdm

Pegasi1978
        Participant

I’ve never heard anything about wearing orange on St. Patrick’s Day, just green. I can’t remember if I brought anything green for me to wear to my parents. I know my son has a green shirt I can put him in though.

twindragonsmum
          Participant

couldn’t find the Irish Rovers version but this one is close and pretty good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujhXe-JRJS0

enjoy! I grew up on this one – family, you know…..

twindragonsmum 😀

tdm

Bob

HAPPY ST. PATTY’S DAY TO ALL!!
              I’m 1/2 Irish myself

Skigod377
              Participant

I thought St. Pattys was on the 15th?? Happy St. Pattys either way!

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!!

GREEN! Most def! We grew up on the rebel songs of the Clancy Brothers & Tommy Makem! (Listened to other groups too, but the Clancy brothers are the ones with me every year!)

Twin, you’ll appreciate this story (though it turned out that not many of my friends got it at the time). Last year we were in town and I told my husband that our friend’s daughter was playing her violin at a Paddy’s Day celebration and we should pop in to watch her. In my defense, it was last minute, it was NOT Paddy’s Day, but the weekend prior, and my daughter, age 3, picked out her own clothes. As we were walking in to a very large (green) celebration, I looked down and noticed that not only were we not wearing green, but my daughter was (of course) wearing an orange sweater! I mentioned it to my husband, and he said, “Is that important?” Haha… at least she was only 3. 😆

twindragonsmum
                Participant

BWWWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!! That’s TOO funny! When I was little, probably 6 or 7 my fav dress for church was an off-white bacground with a green and pale orange plaid design!!!!!!! Nobody in the states really gets the orange thing….. but my son Sean went to school today in his green shirt that has an orange stripe down each sleeve!

twindragonsmum 😀

tdm

darjeb
                  Participant

HAPPY ST. PATRICK’S DAY

FROM

JOYCE AND TRISTEN
                    (WOOF WOOF)

Bob

St Patty’s Day is the 17th!!
                      I’m wearing a shirt that says RIreland and is has Green in it. I have never heard of Orange today either.
                      I just remembered that it’s my co-wrokers b-day also

lamortefille
                      Participant

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Skigod377
                        Participant

Dragon Master wrote:

St Patty’s Day is the 17th!!

St. Pattys was on Saturday…the 15th. Sorry you missed it. It was changed by the Roman Catholic Church to avoid conflict with Holy Monday that falls on 3/17. Today.

Jodi
                          Participant

St. Patty’s is the 17th. A lot of celebrations were held on the 15th so as not to conflict with Holy Week, but that does not change the date of the holiday.

Happy St. Patrick’s!

Skigod377
                            Participant

emerald212 wrote:

St. Patty’s is the 17th. A lot of celebrations were held on the 15th so as not to conflict with Holy Week, but that does not change the date of the holiday.

Happy St. Patrick’s! The date is occasionally moved by church authorities when March 17 falls during Holy Week; this happened in 1940 when Saint Patrick’s Day was observed on 3 April in order to avoid it coinciding with Palm Sunday, and is happening again in 2008, being observed on 15 March. March 17 will not fall during Holy Week again until 2160.

This year, St. Pattys was held on the 15th. I personally dont care and only pointed it out because DM seemed to think it was today. Its not. The church changed it. But as I stated above… Happy St. Paddys. Late or not. 🙂

twindragonsmum
                              Participant

Maybe this will help….. Orange represents the Protestant religion in Ireland and Green is representative of the Irish Catholic Nationalists religion in Ireland. BIG conflicts between the two groups through the centuries.

twindragonsmum 😀

tdm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.