fbpx

Hannah's REPAINTS thread: "Solar Flare"

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Hannah's REPAINTS thread: "Solar Flare"

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    etruscan
    Participant

That emperor is gorgeous! Are there differences between painting something that size and a PYO (besides needing a lot more paint)?

Hannah
      Participant

That emperor is gorgeous! Are there differences between painting something that size and a PYO (besides needing a lot more paint)?

With the male I stripped the paint off of it, which I regret. Stripping paint off of a fledgling was easy because the scales on a fledge are very smooth and don’t have many lips, and nearly no “pebble” scales like you see on the male’s backside and tail. Those areas, on the male, were nearly impossible to get the paint out of. It took me a couple of weeks of working on it a bit each day to get it all off, and it was MESSY – I mean, covering my desk completely with plastic and wearing goggles type of messy!!

For the emp, I decided to just remove the eyes and gems and give it a coat of white paint (I did this with an Old Warrior recently and it worked just fine). I used regular old Krylon white matte spraypaint and it worked like a charm.

As far as just painting it goes, it’s definitely different from painting a PYO – not only does it require a lot more paint and time, but the production sculptures are just harder in general to paint well! Both the male and the Emp have areas behind their legs and tails that are extremely hard to get to with a paintbrush, where when you’re painting a PYO Keeper for example, the sculpture is almost completely “whole”, as in there aren’t too many difficult knooks or crannies. I believe the PYOs are done this way on purpose – they are already difficult to paint, but to have as many extra “spots” as some of the production pieces have, I think they would be twice as hard! Not to mention how giant the emp is in particular! There was not much I could do as far as holding him – sometimes I had to tip him and hold him at an angle to get to the areas I needed to, but man was he heavy! When I was fixing the Old Warrior (he’s the one in my repair thread that had the smashed hand), I had to keep him literally laying on my left arm while I worked with my right hand because he had to be tipped at such an angle that I could see nearly to the underside of him. I won’t be surprised if when I paint that one I’ll have to do the same thing.

As a side note, I think my left hand is becoming weaker from painting so many PYOs!! XD I tried to unscrew a jar the other day and I just couldn’t do it with my left hand! I hold all of the PYOs that I paint, and since I do so many Keepers I honestly think that my hand has become weaker because of it. I should probably start using a turntable XD

Other than that, it’s pretty much the same process as painting a PYO, just longer and more difficult 🙂

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
        Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Kristi
        Participant

You did an AWESOME job! I love it! Do you do commissions? I might have to have you do my PYO Keeper

Jennifer
          Keymaster

Even using a turntable, hand-painting the bigger guys is often painful. Hard on the wrist, and leaves dents in your hands and arms…

Not to mention all of the impossible to paint with a brush areas, yes. They were never designed to be hand painted (whereas the PYOs were).

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

siberakh1
            Participant

As a side note, I think my left hand is becoming weaker from painting so many PYOs!! XD I tried to unscrew a jar the other day and I just couldn’t do it with my left hand! I hold all of the PYOs that I paint, and since I do so many Keepers I honestly think that my hand has become weaker because of it. I should probably start using a turntable XD

You could always do hand exercises with little hand weights. Helps strengthen the hands and grip. *nods*

KoishiiKitty
              Participant

Windstones, better then dumbbells.

Hannah
                Participant

XD You guys crack me up! I may have to try the hand weight thing – that’s a great suggestion! 🙂

kgronski – yes, I do commissions on PYOs, however my list is too long right now for me to take on any more commissions – I must get caught up first!! If you’re interested, PM me and I can put you on another list of people who would like to be notified when I am ready to take on more commissions 🙂

And oh my gosh Jennifer – I can’t imagine how you do it!! You hand paint the most amazing detail on things (the first thing that comes to mind is your Labradorite Lap!), I’d probably break something trying to get that level of detail XD

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
                  Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

WolfenMachine
                  Participant

hee hee-now imagine hand painting a SK! Okay, maybe dont-that might hurt too much. I dont even paint all that much, and that hurts me to think about. The 8 inch flap cat was intimidating enough!

Bodine
                    Participant

Another beauty Hannah. 🙂

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                      (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                      Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Stephanie
                      Participant

Wow! Stunning work!

Jennifer
                        Keymaster

hee hee-now imagine hand painting a SK! Okay, maybe dont-that might hurt too much. I dont even paint all that much, and that hurts me to think about. The 8 inch flap cat was intimidating enough!

That’s why I haven’t even tentatively asked for one to hand paint! I cannot imagine doing it without a special platform I could put it on and get underneath it or something. Yikes!
                          ((Plus, I don’t think they have any blank ones, and shipping her back and forth would be too expensive))

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                          My art: featherdust.com

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.