fbpx

Gypsym Stone and Glue?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Gypsym Stone and Glue?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    WolfenMachine
    Participant

WolfenMachine
      Participant

Well, I’ve gathered from reading some of your replies that you understand the chemistry behind your beautiful statues, so I thought you might know the answer to this question: what kind of glue bonds best with Gypsm stone? I’m sure everyone’s sick of hearing about my Emperor dragon delimmas, BUT, I’m still trying to fix the poor guy, and nothing Ive tried has worked. I tried super glue, but it expands ever so slightly, and its not strong enough, even with a day to cure. A friend suggested “Lock-tite extreme:repair” glue, because it doesn’t expand. It works great for smaller things, but not an Emp.’s tail. Also not strong enough. I’m worried about other things (like Gorilla Glue) expanding or yellowing, or drying so fast that I can’t get the pieces together correctly before the glue sets.

I was thinking maybe something industrial strength from a hardware store, but I dont know. Any suggestions?

Melody
        Keymaster

WolfenMachine wrote:

Well, I’ve gathered from reading some of your replies that you understand the chemistry behind your beautiful statues, so I thought you might know the answer to this question: what kind of glue bonds best with Gypsm stone? I’m sure everyone’s sick of hearing about my Emperor dragon delimmas, BUT, I’m still trying to fix the poor guy, and nothing Ive tried has worked. I tried super glue, but it expands ever so slightly, and its not strong enough, even with a day to cure. A friend suggested “Lock-tite extreme:repair” glue, because it doesn’t expand. It works great for smaller things, but not an Emp.’s tail. Also not strong enough. I’m worried about other things (like Gorilla Glue) expanding or yellowing, or drying so fast that I can’t get the pieces together correctly before the glue sets.

I was thinking maybe something industrial strength from a hardware store, but I dont know. Any suggestions?
          I prefer normal Elmer’s white glue. (Not “craft” glue.) However, if you have already tried other glues, the break may be too dirty to glue perfectly unless you can get all the old glue off. The trick is to put very thin coats of white glue on both surfaces of the the clean break and press them together tightly until they set. This is tough with a tail, but maybe you can hold it in place tightly for a few minutes. An advantage of using white glue is that you can adjust it a little after you have put the pieces together to get the break perfectly aligned.Also, the excess can be wiped off with a damp paper towel. The glue bond will remain soluable in water, however, so no more rinsing the dragon in the sink.
          I’ve also used epoxy.It will work too, but I think the joint tends to be a little wider and more visible. The excess that will be squeezed out when you press the joint together is more difficult to wipe off cleanly, (Especially if you are holding the tail together with both hands! Have a helper!) It will be waterproof though.Epoxy may be the best way to fix a joint that is not perfectly clean.
          Anyone else have any suggestions?
          I am not an expert on repairing these!

SPark
          Participant

White glue is great for holding on chips, but I wouldn’t trust it with something structural. I’ve been using elmer’s craft glue, very thiny, which is a lot like white glue, but has a stronger bond. Just put a male pegasus’s legs together with it yesterday, and so far it’s holding his weight up just fine!

WolfenMachine
            Participant

Hmm…I wouldn’t have thought white glue had so much power. I might try that! I was able to get the surfaces mostly clean. Acetone does wonders! 🙂

Jennifer
              Keymaster

I use white glue for all my Windstone Needs! XD

Seriously though, I do, it seems to work the best.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                My art: featherdust.com

dragonmedley
                Participant

Ditto on the white glue. I’m scared of any other type of glue, actually. That’s how I repaired my green male and white mother.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                  http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                  I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                  http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

I like using Weldbond because it dries clear but i haven’t used it for repairs on something large or superdetailed before

WolfenMachine
                  Participant

I must say, I got a bottle of $0.99 Elmer’s glue…and so far it’s holding! 😯 I was so shocked! I glued a chunk about 2 inches long, back onto my Emp’s tail, and I could pick up the tail and gently shake it and the piece stayed!!

I just glued his tail to the rest of his body tonight, so tomorrow night, I’m going to see if I can scoot him and pick him up without the tail falling off. I still can’t belive that Elmer’s run-of-the-mill glue works better than professional glue or Super Glue! wow…

Edit:I AM indeed able to pick up the fellow without his tail falling off! I’ve done it about 3 times, I’m just so shocked! His tail is very heavy, maybe about the same weight as the young unicorn or a a bit more than a fledgling or young dragon. And it STILL STICKS! I think it does expand a bit, but not as much as super glue.

Maria
                    Participant

That’s good to know. So far I’ve used superglue on all my dragons’ injuries, and it holds excellently and dries fast.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.