fbpx

Grandma I miss you already…

Home Forums Miscellany Community Grandma I miss you already…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    twindragonsmum
    Participant

Hey all – just got back from a quick run to Utah and back (I’d borrowed my niece, Hailey for Christmas) so, I’m barely home and checking email and there’s a note from my uncle John about Gra’ma –

Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 14:12:38 -0800
      Mom had another fall. We are at Kaiser ER. She is in a lot of pain. Neck. Back. Knee and leg. They just gave her some morphine. Will take xrays and do blood work. I’ll let you know more when I find out.

The note right under this one had more news but not much…

Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 16:04:30 -0800
      Broken nose. Broken neck. Checking her knee right now.
      They are checking her in

G’ma is 95 years old and has done really well until just the last few weeks. She’s the one who decided to sell her home and move to an assisted living facility because she was tired of mowing her lawn. She is one of the amazingly stubborn, self sufficiant women that I’m proud to share genes with. I know that she won’t want to stick around here on earth if there is something so wrong with her neck being broken that she can’t do anything for herself, yet I’m selfish enough that I’m not ready to let her go… She is a great lady, a spritual giant if you will – if she leaves now i don’t know what i’ll do without her. My dad keeps talking aobut when his dad died at the age of 88 and how that is only 7 years away for my dad and to top it all off Roddy keeps telling me that he’s going to die before he’s 50 – he’s almost 47 and i don’t know if he’s yanking my chain or is serious… I you would please be so kind as to keep my gram’ma and my family in your prayers I would appreciate it more than you would ever know… thanks

beckie
      twindragonsmum

tdm

twindragonsmum
      Participant

tdm

Amanda
        Participant

I’ll send some prayers for her Beckie, she sounds like an amazing, strong woman! *hugs*

twindragonsmum
          Participant

thanks so, so much Eleu; i appreciate it more than you can know

beckie
            tdm

tdm

Rusti
            Participant

Prayers for your family TM. Man, what a mess life makes sometimes.

Anonymous

My thoughts are with you and your family, She sounds like an amazing and strong woman!
                Hugs tight.

Jasmine
                Participant

Hugs and healing thoughts on the way. And hugs to you too. I know this is a stressful time for you.

I’m sending my hugs and healing thoughts as well. For everyone over there!

Bodine
                  Participant

Sending all good thoughts your way.I hope I stay strong like your grandmother.I had one like that too.May your G-Mom pull through with flying colors.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                    (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                    Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

LadyFirebird
                    Participant

She is definitely in my thoughts Beckums! What an amazing woman! It’s hard to let go of people like that but I see your Grandma’s point–I wouldn’t want to be around if I couldn’t do for myself either. As for your husband–I hope that’s just in his head.

dragonmedley
                      Participant

Oh no! Big, healing hugs your way and hers.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                        http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                        I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                        http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

twindragonsmum
                        Participant

got a family email from my uncle this morning —

Mom had fallen a couple of times yesterday (Monday) as well but had not hurt herself. John said she has been a little disoriented for the last couple of days — probably from the dehydration. She apparently had breakfast, but was back in bed when they came for her at 11:30 for lunch and didn’t want anything. John came a half hour later and she was on the floor. Dad

then got this one from dad’s brother, John —

Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 20:59:46 -0800 (PST)

I just got home from Kaiser. Mom just finished eating dinner. She had some carrots, peaches and rice. She was pretty hungry since it was the first time she had anything to eat since breakfast.

Her face is pretty beat up. She broke her nose, has minor lacerations around her eyes and looks like she bit her lip. Her nose is broken, her number three vertabrae is cracked and her knee is bruised and swollen. Her arms are quite black and blue but the good news is there are no new cuts on her arms or legs. She has received quite a bit of morphine for her pain today. She will be in a hard neck brace during the day and a soft one at nights so she can sleep.

The reason they admitted her was that her kidneys were only working about 60% and she was quite dehydrated. For the past few days her legs have been very weak and she has not looked or felt very good. She has been slightly disoriented, but not what I would call bad. Over the last 36 hours she has fallen four time due to what I would guess was her weakness in her legs. She thinks she can do something on her own only to get herself in trouble. Once she is down, she can’t get up. It’s very sad.

She will probably be in the hospital for the next couple of days and then probably for the next few weeks in a nursing care. I am only guessing about this based on my discussions with the staff today. I will know more tomorrow.

At this time there is really nothing anyone can do here other that keep her in your prayers. Thanks for all your support

Gran’ma is the kind of person who plants a garden every spring and then cans and preserves it for the winter months. My favorite is her Pomegranate Jelly. She grew roses that always won best in show at county fair. Gram’pa farmed and when it became obvious that their children weren’t going to be able to attend University for lack of funding, gram’ma started selling AVON and from the proceeds she earned all four of her children attended and graduated from University ie. Berkely, Brigham Young University, Perdue and Yale. During WWII. gram’ma was a “Rosie Riviter” plus she wired the electronic harnesses for nearly every aircraft that came out of the Douglas Plant. She is our first generation American and proudly tells of being at her mother’s swearing in to become a citizen of the United States of America. Gram’ma has 4 children, 18 grandchildren of which I am the oldest, 53 great-grand children and 7 great, great grandchildren.

Sorry to ramble, it’s just that she is such an extraordinary person even if she were’nt related. I don’t know if I can let her go yet, but I certainly don’t want her to feel like she needs to stay when I know she misses gram’pa very, very much. thanks for listening.

beckie
                          tdm

tdm

dragonmedley
                          Participant

Well, if she’s ambulatory, she should be fine. The cervical cracked vertabrae isn’t good, but it’s cracked, not broken or shattered. It’ll take her time to recover, given her age, but with care and time, I’m hoping she can plant another garden…

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                            http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                            I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                            http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

twindragonsmum
                            Participant

thankies, dragonmedly – that helps 🙂

beckie
                              tdm

tdm

twindragonsmum
                              Participant

Haven’t heard anything yet this morning about my gram’ma so I’m assuming she’s at least holding her own. Thanks all, for your prayers and kind thoughts. I’ll keep you posted

tdm

tdm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.