fbpx

Grab Bag Unicorn Proposal

Home Forums Windstone Editions Grab Bags Grab Bag Unicorn Proposal

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    Danzig Moon (Karen)
    Participant

Just a thought to raise a little extra money. On facebook there was photos of the factory. And there was some already painted stuff there that was damaged in some way so that it wasn’t going to be sold. It looked like a shelf of ebay or GB things(a lot of poads). In the comments everyone was writing that they would buy them anyway. And people buy the copper ones knowing that they are damaged. So why not make an area like the special items area and sell them. You would get them out of there and make some money.

This sound’s like a good way to make some money also. We all remember “HOT DOG” I know he ended up as a raffle but he was eventually sold. Some of us like the piece’s that are a little quirky. It make’s them OOAK’s and some of us like those. The special piece’s that have gone camping.

Give us a chance at the piece’s that aren’t perfect. They could turn out to be your real money maker’s.

*** Always looking for Brindles..*** AWD Pieces **** Lavender Coiled Mother with Globe**** if you have one you would like to sell or trade please contact me ?

Jennifer
      Keymaster

In the past, John has been adamant (and for good reason) about not selling messed up pieces. I really wanted a blue SK that had a messed up claw once! Anyhow… That’s why they are sometimes raffle pieces but otherwise never get sold.

The only exception are the copper patinas which use imperfections to a good end as they only add to the aged copper look.

I don’t know if this has changed, or not. You must remember that the company has had to evolve from a nearly strictly brick and mortar retail business to now being a little all over the place, as most of the shops have sadly gone out of business. Back then, to release a piece that was messed up, could have had a negative impact on the company. Now? I don’t know! If you are keen on this sort of thing, you should make a tread to squeak at John (hah!) and present your case. He might consider it, or not! Worth a try.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
        My art: featherdust.com

Jennifer
        Keymaster

I was asked my opinion and I gave it. I care about Windstone as much as the next guy, but when it comes to business decisions and we are asked an opinion question, I don’t see why everyone should default to siding with “what’s best for the company”. I’m sorry if that sounds harsh, but how are any of us to know anything about what Windstone makes on their products, their budget, or what kind of hardware they need to buy?

No offense taken, and normally I’d totally understand and agree. BUT… the first post by Pam DOES say that she is only exploring this option so to help afford a new camera and screen(s), and to me that indicates that they really need more money than they’d normally get from these. Perhaps I am letting my bias of knowing the ‘behind the scenes’ influence how I’ve read that.

I admit that I am also very biased because I have seen so much greed and nasty behavior (mostly via private communication and off of the forum) in regards to the grab bags in the past that I came into this with a chip on my shoulder. I apologize! This is obviously a grumpy subject for me, so I will refrain from being a crakypants in this thread any more!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
          My art: featherdust.com

Setsunawolf
          Participant

I think the idea of picks is more than fair. Windstone does not receive nearly the fair market value for these unicorns. There are many other collectors than just forum members, and this is a good idea to help the business. If a few people wouldn’t buy because Windstone made a decision to help raise much needed funds and sold a few picks, then my suggestion is to raise the price on all the GB pieces. If resell value is 200-300, then maybe that should just be the price. Windstone is doing us, their collectors, a favor keeping the prices low, so those of us who don’t have those deep pockets can afford eBay quality pieces. So I suppose the real question is would you rather loose 5 from the batch to help the company, or pay more money per GB for the chance at the coveted GB?

Frankly, it ticks me off when I see a new GB piece straight from the store posted on eBay for twice as much as the seller bought it for. Now, everyone has a right to do whatever they want with a piece they bought, but that is clearly someone else profiting off of Melody’s work. If anybody deserves that money it is Windstone, and if we can’t support them in something like this….well I think you all can see what I’m saying here.

Pam, you and Windstone should do whatever you think is best and will help offset the cost of necessary equipment for the business. Even if it means putting the entire batch of 150 in the special items part of the store.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
            Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
            Sun Dragon Koi #3

Sikek
            Participant

^ The thing about inflated resell pieces is you know exactly what you’re bidding for. The grab bags are much cheaper in store, but there’s also a much larger risk of the degree you’ll like your piece.
              Not all of the pieces (from what I see) do sell for that either.

I don’t mind the question, I didn’t even mind the idea itself, but some of the comments are starting to make me feel funny/guilted. I don’t mean offense by that.

pdlucich
              Participant

I like the idea of a “scratch and dent” section. As long as the “flaws” are minor, Windstone could still sell the pieces to those of us who don’t mind a little variation. I can imagine an old warrior dragon with a few more battle scars! Don’t give up on pieces that aren’t perfect.

It's not hoarding if it's books!
                Cat hair -- condiment and fashion accessory!

Katrina
                Participant

I agree that windstone should do what they need to stay afloat but if prices rise much more I’ll have to stop buying. I’ve already had to limit myself to just grab bags and PYOs because they are the things I’m least willing to quit buying. As it is, I can justify the price. If it goes up to 200 for a baby uni there’s no way. That’s as much as a weekend vacation to a major city. So I am definitely against a price raise.

Auctioning a few to raise needed money would be ok and probably a smart business decision. Auctioning picks I think sends a bad message. It suggests that those with deep pockets deserve special treatment in something that has long been billed as a treat for those of us who don’t have much.

As far as the damaged pieces go, I know I’d love to have one! It would actually mean more to me if it were imperfect. After all, life is seldom perfect. There’s a great brony video on YouTube that really illustrates imperfection as perfection (heck, there are several), but yes I would love to see them sold rather than go to waste.

Matryoshka
                  Participant

Auctioning a few to raise needed money would be ok and probably a smart business decision. Auctioning picks I think sends a bad message. It suggests that those with deep pockets deserve special treatment in something that has long been billed as a treat for those of us who don’t have much.

Definitely agree with that.
                    Hasn’t there been left over grab bag items sold on eBay after a batch release before anyway? I remember some grab bag unis and poads were listed on eBay by windstone afterwards that sold for high prices.

I really agree with this very much. The prices for auctions are intimidating, and while I absolutely feel like Windstone and Melody deserve every penny, my pockets are only that of a Little Lion and I save for every piece I get.

I was asked my opinion and I gave it. I care about Windstone as much as the next guy, but when it comes to business decisions and we are asked an opinion question, I don’t see why everyone should default to siding with “what’s best for the company”. I’m sorry if that sounds harsh, but how are any of us to know anything about what Windstone makes on their products, their budget, or what kind of hardware they need to buy?

No offense taken, and normally I’d totally understand and agree. BUT… the first post by Pam DOES say that she is only exploring this option so to help afford a new camera and screen( s ), and to me that indicates that they really need more money than they’d normally get from these. Perhaps I am letting my bias of knowing the ‘behind the scenes’ influence how I’ve read that.

I admit that I am also very biased because I have seen so much greed and nasty behavior (mostly via private communication and off of the forum) in regards to the grab bags in the past that I came into this with a chip on my shoulder. I apologize! This is obviously a grumpy subject for me, so I will refrain from being a crakypants in this thread any more!

I have to be honest when I found out that the chances of grabbing another GB Poad were nil because of the crazy asking prices I really rethought my wanting to collect GBs at all. It seems, at times, downright nasty and mean, and it’s very very intimidating. I am really glad I am a dragon girl mostly (okay and a poad girl) but there’s a way the “grab bag game” is played and it’s pretty crazy. I was being told that 200 wasn’t enough for a poad when I was trying to nab one I wanted, and that the unis will sell for 350 and up? THAT’S LIKE AN EMPEROR Dragon! D: It’s scary! The secondhand market for GBs is just outrageous in some ways. I LOVE Windstone, but I would rather give you guys 200 than someone secondhand.

I’m with Hannah, I’m not mad or upset, and I want everyone at Windstone to have everything they need (and everything they want! Because everyone there is sweet). Just giving an opinion.

I love the idea of an “imperfect” section! I would for sure be interested in imperfect pieces.

Kiya
                    Participant

Right now one of the challenges to an imperfect piece section is the time to photograph every imperfect piece to put in the store. Windstone would want to document any flaws in a piece so the buyer is not surprised or unhappy. This is a lot of extra labor and kind of defeats the purpose of having a “seconds” area in the first place.

If you sell pristine emerald peacock dragons – you just have to take a photo of one. If you sell damaged/poorly painted emerald peacock dragons, you have to take a photo of each one. What someone sees as a “minor” flaw, others see as a deal breaker.

There’s been some discussion on what to do about that, but no firm conclusions yet. Windstone is open to the idea, there’s just not a concensus yet on how to approach it so that it’s A.) Not overly burdensome to the staff and B.) Doesn’t mis-lead the buyer.

BUT, let’s not hijack Pam’s thread on that topic! Maybe I’ll start another one to talk about ideas on how to sell seconds.

Ultimately, I think the ask here is, “Is there any major objections if on this one occasion due to unexpected (and large) expenses, that Pam somehow offers 5 of the grab bag babies in an alternate method to help defray costs.”

My sense is that if it’s a one time kind of thing being done to accomplish a specific purpose AND it helps keep the overall grab bag price down AND any grab bags removed from the general offering aren’t included in the official class photo – the majority people can handle it on this occasion, but would not want to see it as a regular thing.

Hannah
                      Participant

No offense taken, and normally I’d totally understand and agree. BUT… the first post by Pam DOES say that she is only exploring this option so to help afford a new camera and screen(s), and to me that indicates that they really need more money than they’d normally get from these. Perhaps I am letting my bias of knowing the ‘behind the scenes’ influence how I’ve read that.

Oh gosh, I hope you don’t think I am angry about this subject matter at all! I am of the opinion that Windstone will run their company how they think it should be run – regardless of how I feel about decisions like this. In the long run, it won’t impact them at ALL if I do not buy a uni from this upcoming batch, and I fully realize that.

I did go back and re-read what Pam had written, and I do think since you know more about the situation that you probably know exactly what she is saying – I understand that she is saying they need to raise money for a monitor, but that’s where my knowledge ends. I don’t know how much it costs, I don’t know their profit margin for Grab Bags, and I don’t know the personal opinions of anyone at Windstone regarding them – I was just trying to point out that the average customer also wouldn’t know any of these things, and that I assume that Windstone would want the opinion of those average customers. I suppose I was just taken aback a little when in your first post you seemed so frustrated that people weren’t jumping right on the wagon on this one – we’re not trying to be selfish, and we’re not trying to get more for less – we’re just saying how we feel with the limited knowledge that we have.

^ The thing about inflated resell pieces is you know exactly what you’re bidding for. The grab bags are much cheaper in store, but there’s also a much larger risk of the degree you’ll like your piece.
                        Not all of the pieces (from what I see) do sell for that either.

THIS. Completely this. It bothers me a tiny bit when people talk about how unfair it is that the aftermarket of grab bags is so expensive. Really, it makes lots of sense. When you purchase a grab bag from Windstone you have no idea which one you are going to get. You are GAMBLING! Some people end up with Grab Bags that turn out to be worth MUCH more than the store price, and sometimes not. I have had several grab bags that did not sell for an extreme amount aftermarket, and some that I have had trouble selling AT ALL! It really depends on the piece. I too scoff at the prices that some people try to get from their grab bags, but really – its their business, and if they can get the price that they want because someone was so in love with the piece that they were willing to pay it, then good for them. *shrug*

I don’t mean to offend anyone with my comments, so please know that I am not angry or defensive, I just wanted to point out some things that I’m not sure everyone understands.

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
                        Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Hannah
                        Participant

I have to be honest when I found out that the chances of grabbing another GB Poad were nil because of the crazy asking prices I really rethought my wanting to collect GBs at all. It seems, at times, downright nasty and mean, and it’s very very intimidating. I am really glad I am a dragon girl mostly (okay and a poad girl) but there’s a way the “grab bag game” is played and it’s pretty crazy. I was being told that 200 wasn’t enough for a poad when I was trying to nab one I wanted, and that the unis will sell for 350 and up? THAT’S LIKE AN EMPEROR Dragon! D: It’s scary! The secondhand market for GBs is just outrageous in some ways. I LOVE Windstone, but I would rather give you guys 200 than someone secondhand.

But would you purchase a grab bag at $200 that was given to you blind? One that you didn’t even know if you would like or not?

I think that $350 and up for grab bag unis is on the very high end of aftermarket pricing. I have sold some beauties for $250 but even they wrenched my heart to sell. People price things at what they are worth to THEM. I have seen lots of pieces go for much less than $350 – and indeed there are many that I have seen on ebay that do not sell for months at a time when they are priced that high. Honestly, I think that the average price for aftermarket is high at first, but quickly goes down. You cannot sell a Safari uni for what you could sell a recent Candy Corn for, for example. I cannot sell most of my pieces for what I bought them for to begin with because I spent so much on them in aftermarket!

I guess what I’m trying to say is that you never really know the circumstances of why someone is selling for what price, and the best thing you can do is vote with your dollar (don’t pay it!) – something else inevitably will come along 🙂

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
                          Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Lokie
                          Participant

I’m fine with the first five being auctioned off. Several other members already touched on the points why I find it acceptable and they really stated it better than I could. Some points: It’s a need thing; It’s only 5 of a huge batch; Members can already buy as many pieces in the aftermarket so it shouldn’t be an issue that the same member can win all five times.

Personally, from my limited observations of Ebay auctions, the classifieds, and private sales, it looks like a decent amount of “coveted” grab bags are being resold and for a decent bit. Now, Windstone will have a small slice of that pie that members have already been eating. Usually any piece I want goes for more in the aftermarket than I have to offer right now anyways. I might actually pay LESS for a coveted piece through an official Windstone Ebay auction. =P

Kim
                            Blocked

I feel like there has been something left unsaid and I don’t know about everyone else but I actually thought anything over $100 was quite expensive for me to be buying a grab bag. I only bought a poad because I realized they were all special one of a kind pieces so realized they had value but to me if the prices were raised at all I would not be able to pay more as I thought $120 was already too high. I realize for the amount of work and time that goes into them they are worth it but I can’t figure out how people can afford to buy so many of these expensive pieces.

Hannah touched on this too but it’s true that not all pieces actually sell for much more. From the grab bag poad batches I talked to a few people who were selling their poads either for what they paid or up to $150. I happened to have one I got higher offers for but didn’t feel right about selling something for over $200 so I just traded mine for a different one as I thought it was more fair. I was surprised though that some people were valuing unicorns at $350 on eBay because it made me think I would never get one. I don’t think the answer is raising prices. I think the answer is trying to keep prices affordable for the masses and keeping special items and auctions separate to raise more funds. I actually think it’s silly for people to mark up secondary prices if you get a grab bag because you may think you can sell yours for more but odds are if you are greedy about it that when one comes along you like it may be an even higher price you can’t even afford. It’s like Karma.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Danzig Moon (Karen)
                              Participant

Ultimately, I think the ask here is, “Is there any major objections if on this one occasion due to unexpected (and large) expenses, that Pam somehow offers 5 of the grab bag babies in an alternate method to help defray costs.”

My sense is that if it’s a one time kind of thing being done to accomplish a specific purpose AND it helps keep the overall grab bag price down AND any grab bags removed from the general offering aren’t included in the official class photo – the majority people can handle it on this occasion, but would not want to see it as a regular thing.

If this is only going to be a one time auction,then I feel,that would be ok. I just don’t want it to be an everytime thing. I understand the need for US as collector’s to help WS maintain and buy equipment that they need to make US the piece’s that make us happy. This will not drive the price up in the store and that is a good thing.

Just pull them out first and don’t put them in the class photo. Let them stand on their own and just like ebay, you have the choise to bid on them or not. I personally like the not knowing but am I not going to bid on the one’s that are pulled IDK it depend’s what they look like and how much I want to spend. Also if it mean’s I can’t get my normal GB then NO, I will not bid on the 5.

*** Always looking for Brindles..*** AWD Pieces **** Lavender Coiled Mother with Globe**** if you have one you would like to sell or trade please contact me ?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 126 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.