fbpx

Grab Bag Unicorn Proposal

Home Forums Windstone Editions Grab Bags Grab Bag Unicorn Proposal

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    Matryoshka
    Participant

How would picks be done, if they will be done?
      I can only assume people are going to be bidding high for that privilege but will there be photos of each uni from the batch so they can even see exactly what they’re picking?
      It is often hard to see what the unicorns actually look like from the class photo.

Sarah
      Participant

I don’t mind if some unicorns are auctioned off. I have seen some other “grab bags” auctioned individually from Windstone before, so it wouldn’t break with tradition.

For some reason it would feel a little better if Windstone picked out the auction unis instead of the bidders getting first pick, but really that is a minor point and if Windstone decided to go that way it would be fine with me too. I guess I’ve always thought of the grab-bags as a special event for those with lower budgets so it would be kinda nice if the event remained that way (even tho it benefits everyone, and sometimes I feel like people take advantage of it). Then again there are also the raffle and quest events, so Windstone is already going above and beyond for their lower-budget fans. It would also be really interesting to see how much those with large budgets would pay for the privilege of getting their pick.

I am just grateful for the grab bags in general, it is very kind of Windstone to offer such a great deal for those of us with less funds. I’ve only been able to catch one grab-bag event so far since they sell out basically instantly, but the resulting piece (which I traded to get a uni from a previous batch that I missed but really wanted) is now one of my most beloved treasures. In fact I love her so much that she is inspiring me to want to save up a special fund just to try to bid on some more unique ebay pieces, when I had previously given up out of frustration.

In the end these are beautiful artistic creations that take a ton of time and effort, and if the prices have to rise, or previously grab-bag items go to auction, thats the way it works. Melody and her crew are some of the most thoughtful, compassionate, and generous people I know and I have full faith that they are doing all they can to please their rabid, demanding fans (of which I am one) while also charging enough to make a living for themselves. Looking forward to the next GB event, fingers and toes crossed that I am online when it happens! 🙂

Thank you to everyone at Windstone for all the hard work and kindness you show to us. That you guys even thought to ask our opinions on this matter is yet more proof of your good hearts. <3

(I've worked for many companies before, a lot of small companies that were in it ONLY for profit, they treated their customers and employees accordingly… it is really refreshing to deal with a small company that truly has heart and soul, so thank you!)

fatalbeauty
        Participant

as far as the mentioned price increase again, it worries me that one day these are going to get too high for most of us…I have a hard enough time convincing my husband at the current prices since we agreed to talk it out before making big purchases…..I just worry one day the little guys/gals are just going to be toooooo much….

4 things I'm looking for:
          1. Mother Meerkat
          2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
          3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
          4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

Ok, I am very late on this one, but as a collector in the UK I thought I would have a quick say.
          I’m sort of on the fence with this one, but can I just say that whenever the grab bag any things come out, I ALWAYS miss them completely because they go live and all get sold when I’m fast asleep in bed!
          In this regard, an auction would be fairer to UK collectors like me, as we get more of an opportunity to buy one.

I don’t mind if some unicorns are auctioned off. I have seen some other “grab bags” auctioned individually from Windstone before, so it wouldn’t break with tradition.

For some reason it would feel a little better if Windstone picked out the auction unis instead of the bidders getting first pick, but really that is a minor point and if Windstone decided to go that way it would be fine with me too. I guess I’ve always thought of the grab-bags as a special event for those with lower budgets so it would be kinda nice if the event remained that way (even tho it benefits everyone, and sometimes I feel like people take advantage of it). Then again there are also the raffle and quest events, so Windstone is already going above and beyond for their lower-budget fans. It would also be really interesting to see how much those with large budgets would pay for the privilege of getting their pick.

I am just grateful for the grab bags in general, it is very kind of Windstone to offer such a great deal for those of us with less funds. I’ve only been able to catch one grab-bag event so far since they sell out basically instantly, but the resulting piece (which I traded to get a uni from a previous batch that I missed but really wanted) is now one of my most beloved treasures. In fact I love her so much that she is inspiring me to want to save up a special fund just to try to bid on some more unique ebay pieces, when I had previously given up out of frustration.

In the end these are beautiful artistic creations that take a ton of time and effort, and if the prices have to rise, or previously grab-bag items go to auction, thats the way it works. Melody and her crew are some of the most thoughtful, compassionate, and generous people I know and I have full faith that they are doing all they can to please their rabid, demanding fans (of which I am one) while also charging enough to make a living for themselves. Looking forward to the next GB event, fingers and toes crossed that I am online when it happens! 🙂

Thank you to everyone at Windstone for all the hard work and kindness you show to us. That you guys even thought to ask our opinions on this matter is yet more proof of your good hearts. <3

(I've worked for many companies before, a lot of small companies that were in it ONLY for profit, they treated their customers and employees accordingly… it is really refreshing to deal with a small company that truly has heart and soul, so thank you!)

AGREED!! XD

moonbeam
          Participant

whenever the grab bag any things come out, I ALWAYS miss them completely because they go live and all get sold when I’m fast asleep in bed!

I have the same problem over here in Germany 😉 I was lucky enough to get some of the earlier GBs (no luck with the recent Unis or Poads) but since I stayed awake I was pretty unproductive the next days 😉

Sirithiliel
            Participant

as far as the mentioned price increase again, it worries me that one day these are going to get too high for most of us…I have a hard enough time convincing my husband at the current prices since we agreed to talk it out before making big purchases…..I just worry one day the little guys/gals are just going to be toooooo much….

This is my thoughts too. I am not bothered about the auction, there will always be others in the batch I like and honestly most the time I can’t afford a grabb bag even though they are a good deal. So If price goes up, I definitely won’t be able to buy anymore

Setsunawolf
              Participant

Oh! One more thought. If you guys are frustrated with the price increase on these Grab Bags (if they DO go up), please understand that the folks at the factory are just trying to make a living wage off of their time invested. That said, these ARE pretty detailed and that takes time… and I understand the frustration at paying more than before for a grab bag item. In this case, I bet if there were enough squeaks, Melody could do a batch of something much more simply painted (with less time invested) in the future…

I thought this deserved to be quoted.
                If there’s anything about each grab bag batch that I’ve noticed – it’s that Melody amps up the creativity and the detail every single time. Every batch that I’ve seen is worth more than the last due to extra detail alone, in my opinion.

I agree with both these observations. More detail= higher price, less detail = lower price…especially since the time involved for Melody is really the crucial factor.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                Sun Dragon Koi #3

Jennifer
                Keymaster

I know Melody is sculpting a dragon just for grab bags. I have no idea how far along it is, or how big and resource hungry the sculpt is, but perhaps some of them could be painted simply… with less time invested by Melody and co., and therefore be more affordable to us?

The very detailed poads and unicorns are beautiful and dazzlingly intricate, but they must take a long while to paint each, and I don’t think that collectors would mind simple things now and then!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                  My art: featherdust.com

Sirithiliel
                  Participant

I dearly want one of the grab bag dragons. Having them simply painted is probably best, I think…it’d keep the price down, and I think they’d still be gorgeous even if they don’t have complex markings. But mostly I just want to be able to afford one =) so I’d be all for a simpler coloring on the dragon batch

Kiya
                    Participant

I do think it’s a worth-while idea for Melody to do a simpler batch or two. I think that’s the only way they can avoid raising the prices each time.

In general, I don’t think Windstone prices pieces as high as they should. Before anyone yells at me – you’ve seen the postings from John that says they are still losing money a good portion of the year.

Part of this (though certainly not all of it) is because many pieces have stayed static in price or raised very little during a time where the costs to produce them have gone up exponentially. (Based on inflation – Windstone should be raising their prices accross the board 3-5% each year just to stay on an even keel).

I know the grab bags seem like they’ve gone up in price a lot (and, really, they have!), but I think what we’re seeing is Windstone attempting to balance out some of their pricing to more realistic levels with popular pieces that will sell out anyway.

Also realize grab bags painted by Melody cost Windstone more to produce than production pieces because they are using Melody’s time rather than a production painter.

Maybe a simpler batch of dragons _could_ be done by a production painter to help keep the sale price down – I don’t know though! 🙂

Sirithiliel
                      Participant

I do understand, though I’d like to note that I buy grab bags because thy are done by Melody and I count myself lucky to own something signed by her. Done by a production painter, I might still buy one depending on the price, but it wouldn’t have quite the same meaning to me. But, overall, I want windstone to succeed

Kiya
                        Participant

Well, so far they haven’t been able to find someone who isn’t Melody who can paint grab bags (speed/skill/enough imagination to come up with 100s of unique color schemes, etc), so it’s quite possibly a moot point. 🙂

I just think having Melody paint all the grab bags makes it more challenging from a pricing perspective.

Bodine
                          Participant

I do understand, though I’d like to note that I buy grab bags because thy are done by Melody and I count myself lucky to own something signed by her. Done by a production painter, I might still buy one depending on the price, but it wouldn’t have quite the same meaning to me. But, overall, I want windstone to succeed

Same here.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                            (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                            Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Zloy720
                            Participant

Guess after reading all the back and forth I may as well toss my two cents in the ring. 🙂

I have no issues AT ALL with the idea of auctioning off 5 of the gbb unis and I don’t particularly care if its five out of the class photo shown before or after. I have no doubt I wouldn’t win one in auction even if I tried…but it would be fun and interesting to see how it turns out. Although, I would think it a very nice gesture (NOT required, courtesy of their own volition ONLY) if the auction winners would consider restraining themselves from buying a gbb when they hit the general store for sale to the non-auction winners…I think the same person can win all 5 auctions if they are willing to pay the most in each since the point of the auctions is to maximize the money to pay for the new equipment vs. fair distribution of the opportunity to pre-select a gbb.

I certainly am not concerned about Windstone trying something new which is not even being proposed as long-term or constant event, and even if it was I would still greatly prefer that over raising the price of the gbbs overall if it comes down to it!

Like most have stated, it typically takes some pretty deep pockets and a lot of luck to be able to buy one of Melody’s custom pieces off ebay or the special section, so I love the gbb for the opportunities, no matter how crazy, they provide the rest of us so that we too can obtain one of Melody’s amazing custom pieces! Not to mention its also in a sculpt size and price range that is still at this time within reach for most folks with a bit of planning and budgeting. Much higher than the current gbb price and it does start to get cost-prohibitive for most people when you start thinking about what else you can buy or pay off or for with that same amount of money…

I never peruse the facebook photos, videos, or class photo searching out what my rabid favorites should be just based on the photos because we all know how tough it is to really photograph Windstones, and Melody’s work is always gorgeous, especially when seen in person! I have only ever been successful in winning one gbb out of the last several batches, and I love my poad!!!! Absolutely love him! But he was certainly not in my top twenty list of favorites based purely on the photos (I didn’t dislike him, he just isn’t nearly as eye-catching or charming in a photo as he is in person), and he is not one of those select few that anyone else, much less several others, have stated they rabidly desire either so he is certainly not one that would resell for more than I paid, much less double or triple his cost. One of the features I love most about the gbb is that you have no clue until you open the box, so its completely up to fate. So I figure whatever comes to me in a gbb if I am lucky enough to get one was fated to be in my Windstone family! 🙂

As for this particular batch and the auction idea, just to get back on track here, I don’t know who all has watched the video Melody posted tonight of the gbbs coming out, but every time she set a new one down in front of the camera I drooled more and more!!! Even that ‘ugly appaloosa’ that Melody didn’t mind ‘ruining’ with zombie eyes *lol* was pretty spectacular to me at least since I don’t own a gbb uni and I like the appaloosa coloring. So as Pam said, there didn’t appear to be more than a couple of particularly unique ones in this gbb batch, so unless those are the only 1 or 2 you are interested in, you can’t possibly be dissapointed with the extensive and amazing choices that would remain in this class of gbb even after 5 are pulled…and frankly, your odds are 1:140 for a singular favorite, so lets be real here, most people won’t take the risk of buying a gbb if they dislike the vast majority of the choices unless they are feeling insanely lucky or pinning their hopes on a trade, and think about this, what if Pam hadn’t said anything and 5 custom unis just appeared on Ebay or in the special section, and the gbb class photo only contained 135? Would you still have noticed/cared or been concerned if they had just done it without asking for our opinions first?…just sayin’…a little food for thought maybe.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 126 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.