fbpx

Goof Up Edition Red Panda Fennecs *Squeek*

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Goof Up Edition Red Panda Fennecs *Squeek*

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Melody
    Keymaster

Is it possible someone else could do the finishes who has an easier time with it?

And I don’t finish things on a regular basis, so I have no idea, but why is it that tons of the toasted marshmallow foxes are finished just fine, but the panda ones are so hard to do? Does the paint job somehow make it harder? I don’t understand.

And even if the finish isn’t perfect I’d still take one of the panda ones.

The problem I had with the pandas is the black bottom. The tan ones have white bottoms, so they don’t have a thick layer of paint that can get scuffed very easily, though many still managed. We have about 50 rejects of the tan ones!
      The pandas kept rolling around and wrecking their finish! This problem can be fixed if I work out a procedure to paint them. Red panda ones, or any dark color based ones will need to be painted in a two step procedure.The bottom will need to be painted first and allowed to dry completely, THEN I’ll paint the top of the fox. Such troublemakers. This involves a lot of extra handling, because they will need to be moved off of the painting wheel and allowed to dry on a cart. Handling means they can roll around and get scuffs. I need to design a rack type holder for them.
      Also, this first batch of foxes had extremely rounded bottoms which allowed them to roll easily. The next batch will have less rounded bottoms.
      Every new sculpture takes some trial and error to learn how to paint it!

twindragonsmum
      Participant

Melody, couldn’t you use a rack like marble collector’s use to display their art glass marbles? I have two hand blown marbles that are nearly as big as Fennec. That might help keep them from rolling around while they dry… just a thought…

twindragonsmum ๐Ÿ™‚

tdm

Amy
        Participant

Well, if the new fennecs are going to have a flatter bottom then the red panda ones could be painted just like the other colors, right? Because they wouldn’t need their bottoms and the rest of them painted separately?

Melody
          Keymaster

Well, if the new fennecs are going to have a flatter bottom then the red panda ones could be painted just like the other colors, right? Because they wouldn’t need their bottoms and the rest of them painted separately?

They don’t have pads, so the bottoms need to be kept nice. That means if they have the bottoms painted, they can’t be set right-side-up until the bottoms are completely dry, because the paint stays a little bit tacky for a day or so.

Amy
            Participant

They don’t have pads, so the bottoms need to be kept nice. That means if they have the bottoms painted, they can’t be set right-side-up until the bottoms are completely dry, because the paint stays a little bit tacky for a day or so.

Well, in that case that marble rack that twindragonsmum suggested seems like a good idea ๐Ÿ˜‰

Melody
              Keymaster

Melody, couldn’t you use a rack like marble collector’s use to display their art glass marbles? I have two hand blown marbles that are nearly as big as Fennec. That might help keep them from rolling around while they dry… just a thought…

twindragonsmum ๐Ÿ™‚

Yeah something like that. I am picturing some kind of holder that supports several at once so I can pick up a group at the same time, like those egg poachers, with a handle in the middle.

Amy
                Participant

Ok, gotta dredge this thread up again.

My inner “gimme” monster refuses to let this go, so I’ll just start begging again.

Melody, I will sell you my soul for one of these foxes *_*

And if the problem with your “messed up” foxes is that the bottom of them isn’t smooth, I don’t care at all. They’ll be sitting. You’ll never see it T_T

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.