fbpx

Glass

Home Forums Miscellany Community Glass

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    lamortefille
    Participant

Thank you for all of the nice comments, ladies:)

Yes, I have most def. run out of shelves. My two curios are packed, too. My daughter moved out and as soon as my son finishes moving his stuff, I will have another room to build shelves in. I am planning on getting my peacock Windstones out where I can see them (I miss them) and I have books stacked in my living room that will go up there, too.

Thank goodness my husband is handy. He has built all of my shelves out of solid wood and they are all bolted to the walls. I have no fear of overloading them. lol The shelves he’s built have Lexan instead of glass in the doors. It is a highly durable plastic…lightweight and strong, yet flexible. I wish I could put all of my pieces behind it (or glass), because it sure cuts down on dusting! I also have a collection of Halloween buildings that stays up all year round…they were so hard to keep clean before they were put behind the Lexan…all those small parts!

To each his own, traviste…I won’t throw anything at you. ๐Ÿ˜€ Have you seen Paul Stankard’s work? I don’t own any paperweights and I’ll never be able to afford one of his, but they sure are amazing! I still need a glass pumpkin…and the space to display it! ๐Ÿ˜€

Sea glass are pieces of broken bottles or automotive glass (as ddvm mentioned). The action of the glass rubbing against the sand rounds the edges and gives the glass a frosted look.

siberakh1, it sounds like you prefer the contemporary Fenton Mulberry. I have a few pieces. I think it is very pretty, too. Blenko has a wide range of colors. I’ve heard that Blenko isn’t doing too well these days, but I hope they manage to stay open. I think milk glass has it’s own charm and some pieces work well in the bathroom to hold q-tips, cotton balls, etc. Bathroom accessories are getting expensive and I would rather give some new life to an old piece:)

I often wish the old pieces could talk and tell their stories…what kind of house were they in and what type of people enjoyed them? Were they used everyday or only for special occasions? Were they gifts from someone special or did they get them in a box of soap powder or with a tank of gas? Did they win them on the boardwalk while on vacation? So many possibilities…

Starbreeze
      Participant

My great-aunt had the most beautiful cranberry glass. I know some of that can be valuable. She and my great uncle loved antique stores. They would spend their vacations prowling stores in various states looking for “finds”. My great uncle collected books. First he filled up their basement, then he had to rent a storage place. I think it was more like a small warehouse. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Sadly, I don’t know what happened to the glass or the books. I wasn’t offered the chance to keep anything when they passed away. ๐Ÿ™

Maria
        Participant

Bother, now I’m eyeing Satava pieces in the full knowledge that they ship internationally… ๐Ÿ˜ณ

lamortefille
          Participant

starbreeze wrote:

My great-aunt had the most beautiful cranberry glass. I know some of that can be valuable. She and my great uncle loved antique stores. They would spend their vacations prowling stores in various states looking for “finds”. My great uncle collected books. First he filled up their basement, then he had to rent a storage place. I think it was more like a small warehouse. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Sadly, I don’t know what happened to the glass or the books. I wasn’t offered the chance to keep anything when they passed away. ๐Ÿ™

That’s a shame! Cranberry glass is indeed lovely and all of those books! It would have been like a candy store to me.

lamortefille
            Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Bother, now I’m eyeing Satava pieces in the full knowledge that they ship internationally… ๐Ÿ˜ณ

๐Ÿ˜† Sorry, GB! Make sure you post pics of what you get. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Starbreeze
              Participant

lamortefille wrote:

starbreeze wrote:

That’s a shame! Cranberry glass is indeed lovely and all of those books! It would have been like a candy store to me.

He used to give a few every now and then, because he knew I loved them too, but I never made it inside the warehouse.

Maria
                Participant

lamortefille wrote:

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Don’t tempt me, lamorte. ๐Ÿ˜†
                  But if I do, I certainly will.

Starbreeze
                  Participant

GB, have you added any new owls to your collection?

Maria
                    Participant

Hm, I have the CL and the Parliament from Windstone, sunhawk’s 4 watercolor “Messengers”, a bronze 4″ owl on a marble base, and the avian scene from creaturesfromel. That’s all I have for now. I still want to get the bookends from emerald, but they’re both out of stock at Windstone and I have other expenditures looming at the moment anyway.

lamortefille
                      Participant

starbreeze wrote:

lamortefille wrote:

starbreeze wrote:

He used to give a few every now and then, because he knew I loved them too, but I never made it inside the warehouse.

Well, at least you got a few, right? ๐Ÿ™‚

lamortefille
                        Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

lamortefille wrote:

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Don’t tempt me, lamorte. ๐Ÿ˜†
                          But if I do, I certainly will.

You know you want one…. ๐Ÿ˜†

Travistie
                          Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Hm, I have the CL and the Parliament from Windstone, sunhawk’s 4 watercolor “Messengers”, a bronze 4″ owl on a marble base, and the avian scene from creaturesfromel. That’s all I have for now. I still want to get the bookends from emerald, but they’re both out of stock at Windstone and I have other expenditures looming at the moment anyway.

GB, you collect owls too? I love owls. ๐Ÿ˜€

Travistie
                            Participant

lamortefille wrote:

To each his own, traviste…I won’t throw anything at you. ๐Ÿ˜€ Have you seen Paul Stankard’s work? I don’t own any paperweights and I’ll never be able to afford one of his, but they sure are amazing! I still need a glass pumpkin…and the space to display it! ๐Ÿ˜€

Here is a nice glass pumpkin for ya. The ones made by this artist are really nice, and have a good bit of weight to them too. I’ve got 2 different ones so far. Both bought from the dealer selling this one. I have purchased a few other things from him in the past too, and everything arrived quickly and perfect.

http://www.forwardedge.com/sutherland.html

Oh, and WOW regarding Paul Stankard’s work! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ The flowers look so real! You gotta be really rich to afford one of his pieces.

lamortefille
                              Participant

I really like that green one, trav! Thanks for the link:) I’m going to have to look up more of his work. His stems look excellent and pumpkin stems are very important! ๐Ÿ˜€

Yeah, Paul’s work is really amazing. I’m sorry I didn’t get to Wheaton Village this month to see their display of his work. I would have just been torturing myself, though! lol

Starbreeze
                                Participant

I think Paul’s work is out of my price range! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ I do love those pumpkins on travistie’s link though.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.