fbpx

Giving Up-NOT!!!!–UPDATE-5/4/12

Home Forums Miscellany Community Giving Up-NOT!!!!–UPDATE-5/4/12

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    LadyFirebird
    Participant

Sorry that the only time I’m on here is when I’m upset and need to unload. I just have six more weeks to go but I already feel like giving up. All the studying, research, homework, reading and trying to keep up and do lab procedures are taking its awful toll on me. I had the day off today and I don’t want to go back tomorrow but I have to. I’ve dedicated two years of my life to this and now I’m wondering for what.

I know it must be burn-out big, big time. Some of my other classmates just want all this to end and are so ready to move on. There are lab techniques that I’m not getting as quickly as I would like and if I don’t do the required number of certain procedures, then I get an imcomplete in that class. Like can I afford to have this happen and what if I just can’t do it?

I’ll be old enough to start collecting survivor’s benefits this year and am seriously thinking about it. I don’t know how much I’ll get but if I get anything decent, I just may go for it. I just feel pressured right now. I need to get back into the job market and these classes were a means of helping me.

It would just be a shame that I went through all this for nothing and deep down, I really want to see it through.

Sorry for the downer–I just feel down. I just want the pressure to stop and all this to end. I want to have a life again.

Amy
      Participant

I can understand the feeling.
        I’m in college right now, working on a bachelors in biology, and the work just never stops. I was up til 3 last night working on a paper, and I set my alarm for half an hour later, but I didn’t end up waking up until 8 (less than two hours before the paper was due) so I really had to slap dash it and I just feel crappy in general now. I don’t even want to get out of bed. And now I’ve got to drag myself down to lower campus to go to chemistry discussion. I am so sick of chemistry *rips hair out*

I guess all I can to you (and myself) is that no matter how much it sucks right now, it WILL be over within two more years, and after that all the work will pay off.

Don’t give up 🙂

Kiya
        Participant

If you guys come up with a solution for this feeling, let me know! I’m working my Capstone project for my Master’s degree – just 10 more weeks of a 2 and a half year program and I’m done. D O N E – Done. But I don’t think I have 10 more weeks in me.

A week into the Capstone, my mom decided (on her own) it was a GREAT time to quit her job and move the 400 miles to live closer to us. I’m in support of this in theory, but the timing is terrible and she doesn’t want to do any of the planning.

So, I am trying to find her a place to live (we went and look at 9 places on Saturday and she doesn’t like any of them – I live in a small town so other than a few apartment complexes, there’s not much else to look at – and she doesn’t want to live in an apartment complex).

I’m trying to navigate social security, the VA, and other agencies to see what survivor benefits she is eligible for from my dad (since she is too young to retire on her own benefits). She doesn’t want to help and when asked is “too overwhelmed” to call anyone or look into anything.

Her housing requirements involve being very inexpensive, very nice, very quiet, allowing her dog, not being too far from us (but also not too close), low utilities, no small children near by who will make noise or destroy her car (what?), that has two bedrooms at least, and on site laundry.

She also wants us to pack, unpack, and drive her things from Southern Oregon. On a week day. When we both have jobs.

On top of this, I work full time and both of my boys are in baseball with two games a week.

I’m not sure how to just avoid giving up. I’m tired. I’m grumpy. I feel defeated. I have a very high threshold, but she’s managed to break it. There’s just nothing left… I’m barely making it through the day. I don’t know when/where I’ll find the time and energy to write a 100+ page paper.

I’ve gone so far as to draft a letter of with drawl to the program head. I haven’t sent it yet though…

I hope we both manage to find a way to just push through this and remember that it’s not that much longer and you can live through just about anything for a few months. Good luck!!!!!!!!!

Lupuslunae
          Participant

School’s secondary purpose after education, instruction, and learning is to attempt to kill all the students…at least that’s how I feel.
            It’s usual to get desperate when the end is in sight but there is still so much work to do. I too can’t wait for this nightmare semester to be over. I have a professor who is just bat shit insane and I will get a B in her class no matter what I do now and that will ruin my 4.0 in my penultimate semester…sigh.
            So it sucks for everyone, hang in there, and dream of the first days of summer!

I have to in all honesty first state that I have no idea how you all feel. I have never been in your positions in school at all but I do have to state that I am desperately jealous! I know that that probably seems totally F’d up but I am. I had dreams for myself when I was young but some bad choices changed all that when I had my son so young. I was going to go to university to study marine boiology and it all ended there.

I know that it all seems hard and coming to the end of it it seems like the finish line is still just to far but………don’t give up on yourselves!!! That is what it is….giving up on you and all that you have worked so hard to achieve!!! You have come so far and struggled so much and to throw in the towel right now is the wrong choice even though it may feel like the right one. You will look back and say….What have I done! You are strong individuals and have, can and will get through this. Dig deep and find it in yourselves to keep fighting for what you want.

DO NOT GIVE UP!!! Look back at your life and see all of the hard things you have overcome and know that you can get through this too. It’ll be tough, suck terribly and drag you down to the depths of exhaustion but picture in the end being at your own graduations. The pride that you will feel for making it and accomplishing all that you wanted for yourselves!!!

Sorry if I am sounding like some silly doctor! I am just a stay at home mom and maybe I don’t know what i;’m talking about but it is how I feel and just needed to say so!

Keep going, persevere and do it for all of us who never could!! 🙂

Stephanie
            Participant

*lots of hugs for everyone*

Just keep going. One thing at a time. It’ll be over soon.

In the famous words of Dory from Finding Nemo, “Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming, swimming, that’s what you do!” You guys can do this, if I can do it, you can do it, & guys, I did it, so you can too! Hang in there, the finish line is in sight, just a bit further.

I know how tough it is, I’ve done the stay up all night thing to get it done, strangely some of my best work were those last minute ones, I don’t get that. Anyhow, been there, done that, got the degree to prove it!

Keep it up, you are doing great, even if it doesn’t feel like it!

Kyrin

Rachel
              Participant

In the famous words of Dory from Finding Nemo, “Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming, swimming, that’s what you do!” You guys can do this, if I can do it, you can do it, & guys, I did it, so you can too! Hang in there, the finish line is in sight, just a bit further.

I know how tough it is, I’ve done the stay up all night thing to get it done, strangely some of my best work were those last minute ones, I don’t get that. Anyhow, been there, done that, got the degree to prove it!

Kyrin

This. A thousand times this.

I completed a PhD. I felt like it was torture when I hit my third year and I had probably at least 2 years (ended up being 2.5 years) to go. I wouldn’t recommend doing a PhD to anyone who is remotely satisfied without one. But if you’re not, it’s worth the suffering.

You’ve made it this far, and you can do it! The reward is a longer term thing than the pain.

Lupuslunae
                Participant

I completed a PhD. I felt like it was torture when I hit my third year and I had probably at least 2 years (ended up being 2.5 years) to go. I wouldn’t recommend doing a PhD to anyone who is remotely satisfied without one. But if you’re not, it’s worth the suffering.

You’ve made it this far, and you can do it! The reward is a longer term thing than the pain.

Yes, I felt like I wanted a Ph.D somewhere down the road, but 2 years in my master’s program has revealed to me the errors of my way! All I want to publish are awesome magical realist/urban fantasy novels, you can keep your frickin’ dissertations and publish or perish masochist culture Ph.D land!

etruscan
                  Participant

Don’t give up! Lady Firebird, we have followed along with you and rejoiced that you are doing so well. You can make it through the last six weeks. Burn-out seems to be an unavoidable part of the process. As someone (Kyrin ?) said above – just keep swimming!

Laurie
                    Participant

this……..

I have to in all honesty first state that I have no idea how you all feel. I have never been in your positions in school at all but I do have to state that I am desperately jealous! I know that that probably seems totally F’d up but I am. I had dreams for myself when I was young but some bad choices changed all that when I had my son so young. I was going to go to university to study marine boiology and it all ended there.

I know that it all seems hard and coming to the end of it it seems like the finish line is still just to far but………don’t give up on yourselves!!! That is what it is….giving up on you and all that you have worked so hard to achieve!!! You have come so far and struggled so much and to throw in the towel right now is the wrong choice even though it may feel like the right one. You will look back and say….What have I done! You are strong individuals and have, can and will get through this. Dig deep and find it in yourselves to keep fighting for what you want.

DO NOT GIVE UP!!! Look back at your life and see all of the hard things you have overcome and know that you can get through this too. It’ll be tough, suck terribly and drag you down to the depths of exhaustion but picture in the end being at your own graduations. The pride that you will feel for making it and accomplishing all that you wanted for yourselves!!!

Sorry if I am sounding like some silly doctor! I am just a stay at home mom and maybe I don’t know what i;’m talking about but it is how I feel and just needed to say so!

Keep going, persevere and do it for all of us who never could!! 🙂

And This……..

If you guys come up with a solution for this feeling, let me know!
                      my mom decided (on her own) it was a GREAT time to quit her job and move the 400 miles to live closer to us. I’m in support of this in theory, but the timing is terrible and she doesn’t want to do any of the planning.

So, I am trying to find her a place to live (we went and look at 9 places on Saturday and she doesn’t like any of them – I live in a small town so other than a few apartment complexes, there’s not much else to look at – and she doesn’t want to live in an apartment complex).

I’m trying to navigate social security, the VA, and other agencies to see what survivor benefits she is eligible for from my dad (since she is too young to retire on her own benefits). She doesn’t want to help and when asked is “too overwhelmed” to call anyone or look into anything.

Her housing requirements involve being very inexpensive, very nice, very quiet, allowing her dog, not being too far from us (but also not too close), low utilities, no small children near by who will make noise or destroy her car (what?), that has two bedrooms at least, and on site laundry.

She also wants us to pack, unpack, and drive her things from Southern Oregon. On a week day. When we both have jobs.

On top of this, I work full time and both of my boys are in baseball with two games a week.

I’m not sure how to just avoid giving up. I’m tired. I’m grumpy. I feel defeated. I have a very high threshold, but she’s managed to break it. There’s just nothing left… I’m barely making it through the day. I don’t know when/where I’ll find the time and energy to write a 100+ page paper.

I’ve gone so far as to draft a letter of with drawl to the program head. I haven’t sent it yet though…

I hope we both manage to find a way to just push through this and remember that it’s not that much longer and you can live through just about anything for a few months. Good luck!!!!!!!!!

and this……

Kyrin

My mom is living in our RV as of this weekend. She and her hubby split.
                      Long story short, he broke his hip 3 weeks ago, they found a clot in his lung, has to do rehab and wants to live back with his kids and says he can’t take care of her anymore. Which means they’re giving their home back to the bank and my mom loses everything (3 lots she worked all her life for, she had a mobile but they wanted a new one) because it’s all in his name. She had to give a dog up to the humane society and brought her poodle. I couldn’t say no, he’s all she has. Which means I have to be very careful because I have 2 bulldogs who will eat him. She’s obese and does very little for herself. My hubby is pissed because she seems to have forgotten the please and thank you rule and I’m stuck in a sucky job with a convience store that doesn’t want to give any hours. So I do understand most of what you all are going thru.

Just keep on keeping on. My heart is with you. 😉

Laurie
                      Participant

Oh yeah….
                        My 57 year old brother-in-law is in jail because he supposedly hit my 86 year old MIL this week ( we don’t think he did it, she said he said kinda thing, and my hubby doesn’t think it happened either) neither are right in the head. And my 50th birthday is tomarrow and it’s gonna suck too. So the moral of this story? STAY IN SCHOOL AND FINISH, ALL OF YOU!!!!!

Rachel
                        Participant

Yes, I felt like I wanted a Ph.D somewhere down the road, but 2 years in my master’s program has revealed to me the errors of my way! All I want to publish are awesome magical realist/urban fantasy novels, you can keep your frickin’ dissertations and publish or perish masochist culture Ph.D land!

I have an “alternate career.” Publish or perish no longer applies, and I couldn’t be happier with my career. I couldn’t do it without my Ph.D., though.

Do whatever makes you happy, though, keeping in mind that it’s not always what’s easiest at the time. There’s no greater investment than putting your future in your own hands.

Bodine
                          Participant

Never give up!Never surrender!! I am sorry life sucks at the moment LFB but you are strong and things will change.The tide will turn for you.If one thing is for certain it is that change WILL come.Head up,take a deep breath and smile.You will prevail.HUGS! :bigsmile:

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                            (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                            Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Scathach
                            Participant

Hello Lady,

I’m on the other side of your story – I teach adults. What you are feeling is TOTALLY NORMAL at this point in your education process.

As an adult educator (I teach massage therapy) I understand the tiredness, the frustration, and also the potential excitement that comes when you get near the end of a long programme.

So, I’ll tell you what I have told all my students over the last number of years – Hang in there. You will be fine. You have come all this way, given so much of yourself in time, money, effort, and energy that quitting is not an option.

I know you are tired and feel that you aren’t getting things as quickly as perhaps some others in your class, but trust me when I say this (becaise I see it literally every day) they are struggling, too. Every one of my students has had their own set of challenges and issues. Some of these are more visible than others. But, everyone has them.

If you want to talk some more, feel free to PM anytime.

There is a very calming exercise you can do, it’s called “whole brain posture” and it soes from Neuro Linguistic Programing, a system desgined to assist autistic children in helping them calm and focus. I teach this to all my students and they have all reported that it really helps them.

Here it is
                              Stand or sit. (When you read the rest of the instructions you can figure out which works better for you).
                              Cross one ankle over the other (doesn’t matter which one).
                              Cross one wrist over the other anc clasp your hands together.
                              If you feel a bit like a pretzel, it’s right.
                              Hold the posture for a minute or so.
                              You should begin to feel calmer and more settled.

Theres a Youtube video that deonstrates it too:

In a nutshell, it works because the cross-linking of the two body halves engages both sides of the brain. When this occurs, the brain actually functions better.

Again, hang in and PM if you want to.

Life is beautiful.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.