fbpx

Gingerbread?

Home Forums Miscellany Food Gingerbread?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rylorien
    Participant

I’ve been craving gingerbread lately–I blame the Christmas holiday, as well as having to smell fresh gingerbread cookies at one of the local craft fairs last weekend.

Does anyone have a solid recipe for homemade gingerbread and/or gingerbread cookies that you’d be willing to share?

Thanks much!

Prezaurian
      Participant

Do you mean gingerbread or gingerbread cookies? If it’s the cookies I can ask my room mate.

Rylorien
        Participant

It’s both, actually…though I think in my head I was thinking of cookies when I made the post, so if you could talk to your roommate, that would be great! 🙂

Prezaurian
          Participant

She has to find the recipe. I’ll get back to you as soon as I can. It shouldn’t take too long. She does warn that it requires a LOT of freezing of the dough to keep it from being too sticky (she found the recipe a bit frustrating because of this…though they did taste quite good).

Prezaurian
            Participant

Okay. Here goes.

2/3 cup shortening
              1/2 cup packed brown sugar
              2 tsp ground ginger
              1 tsp cinnamon
              1/4 tsp ground cloves
              pinch of salt
              1 egg
              3/4 cup molasses
              3 cups flour
              1 tsp baking soda
              1/2 tsp baking powder

1) Cream together the shortening, sugar, spices and salt. Add egg and mix thoroughly. Add the molasses and blend.

2) Sift together the flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add to the molasses mixture. Stir until blended and chill.

3) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

4) Using a third to a quarter of the dough at a time, roll it to 1/8th inch or slightly thicker on a lightly floured pastry cloth (or wherever you like to roll out your dough) with a floured rolling pin.

5) Using your favorite cookie cutter (dragon-shaped for ginger snapdragons, lol), cut out shapes and carefully transfer them to a greased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.

6) Place in oven and bake 8-10 minutes. Cool on rack. Apply traditional edible decorations of your choice.

Added note: This recipe tastes good. However, the dough has a tendency to be ridiculously sticky. I would recommend adding a little extra flour and sticking it in the freezer for at least an hour before trying to roll it and cut shapes out (assuming you want to cut shapes). If you want to eliminate that hassle (and believe me it’s a HASSLE), I’d just make little balls out of the dough and squash them flat to 1/8th inch thick. Then you don’t have to tweak the recipe.

Enjoy!

Susie
              Keymaster

I just looked for the one I like, (and plan to bake today), and its the same recipe! Its from the New York Times cookbook.

Prezaurian
                Participant

I just looked for the one I like, (and plan to bake today), and its the same recipe! Its from the New York Times cookbook.

-laughs- This copy came from a package of ninja bread men cookie cutters! That recipe has really gotten around apparently!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.