fbpx

Future wyverns?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Future wyverns?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    LadyFirebird
    Participant

bayoudragon wrote:

No…I’m not a dragon freak… nope, not one bit. ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

Could have fooled me! ๐Ÿ˜† Now I know nothing, nothiing and when I saw ‘wyverns’ had to wonder what the heck is that? The picture link D4F life gave is cute but all this other info–man I’m getting an education here–a good one! My idea of dragons, before I discovered Windstones, were these fire breathing creatures that people either had to get by or got credit for when they killed one. So my knowledge is scatty when it comes to a lot of these creatures.So all this information is appreciated! 8)

Melody
      Keymaster

Melody wrote:

NicoleH wrote:

Ohh how interesting. Could you draw us a quick pic if you have time what your idea of one would look like?

I need to learn more about them. Are they different in nature than dragons? Or are they just two legged dragons?

I found an old drawing I did of a wyvern. I posted it in my gallery here. This was an illustration that was published in TSR ‘s Dragon magazine, like, over thirty years ago, I don’t think I am infringing on their copyright by showing it! it is a different version than the one they published.

Jennifer
        Keymaster

Kujacker wrote:

pipsxlch wrote:

๐Ÿ˜ณ Got to admit, though I’ve always had a thing for 6 limbed dragons, I’ve never liked wyverns in the slightest. 4 limbs may be more anatomically correct, but they just look wrong to me. Proves there’s something different for everyone!

Heheh and here I think 6 legged dragons look wrong… never liked them ๐Ÿ™‚ Also never liked wyrms/two legged dragons. So you’re right, “something different for everyone”.

I don’t think that she meant 6 legged… I take ‘6-limbed’ to mean that there are 4 legs and two wings (wings are essentially modified arms). Thus 6 limbs.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
          My art: featherdust.com

Kujacker
          Participant

Jennifer wrote:

Kujacker wrote:

pipsxlch wrote:

๐Ÿ˜ณ Got to admit, though I’ve always had a thing for 6 limbed dragons, I’ve never liked wyverns in the slightest. 4 limbs may be more anatomically correct, but they just look wrong to me. Proves there’s something different for everyone!

Heheh and here I think 6 legged dragons look wrong… never liked them ๐Ÿ™‚ Also never liked wyrms/two legged dragons. So you’re right, “something different for everyone”.

I don’t think that she meant 6 legged… I take ‘6-limbed’ to mean that there are 4 legs and two wings (wings are essentially modified arms). Thus 6 limbs.

Hmm perhaps. I just don’t think wings when I hear of a limb. I thought she was talking about those “hex” dragons… whatever they’re called. The ones with four “front” legs and two back.

Melody wrote:

Melody wrote:

NicoleH wrote:

Ohh how interesting. Could you draw us a quick pic if you have time what your idea of one would look like?

I need to learn more about them. Are they different in nature than dragons? Or are they just two legged dragons?

I found an old drawing I did of a wyvern. I posted it in my gallery here. This was an illustration that was published in TSR ‘s Dragon magazine, like, over thirty years ago, I don’t think I am infringing on their copyright by showing it! it is a different version than the one they published.

That’s an awesome picture! ๐Ÿ˜€ But whoa that would be one interesting piece to try and cast!! XD

Jennifer
            Keymaster

Kujacker wrote:

Hmm perhaps. I just don’t think wings when I hear of a limb. I thought she was talking about those “hex” dragons… whatever they’re called. The ones with four “front” legs and two back.

A limb is actually defined as being a jointed appendage of the body, often associated with locomotion. Wings are very much limbs. ๐Ÿ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
              My art: featherdust.com

Maria
              Participant

Melody, I admire your drawing style but the wyvern’s chicken legs bug me something fierce. :shrug:
                Generally when I think wyvern I think a dragon with no front legs – as anatomically correct as you can get a mythological creature, in that case. However, in my WIP story, I made the wyverns bulky and bat-like, to distinguish them from the six-limbed dragons.

Melody
                Keymaster

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Melody, I admire your drawing style but the wyvern’s chicken legs bug me something fierce. :shrug:
                  Generally when I think wyvern I think a dragon with no front legs – as anatomically correct as you can get a mythological creature, in that case. However, in my WIP story, I made the wyverns bulky and bat-like, to distinguish them from the six-limbed dragons.

I know, When I drew this one I just drew the front end of a dragon and then lt it trail off into a tail! Ha. It seems to me that wyverns are lighter boned and more bird like than dragons, hence the birdy legs.
                  I once sculpted a four limbed mother and baby griffin in a school ceramic class…they had eagle heads and lion back legs. Griffins look kinda cool like that.There isn’t a name for fantasy animal like that, is there? I also sculpted a wyvern that had three front legs…it looked really gross. Ha ha. My teacher thought I was insane.

Maria
                  Participant

You don’t perchance have photos of these sculptures floating around somewhere, do you? A three-legged wyvern could be a fluke of nature, sort of like the six-legged calf…
                    The four-limbed raptor/feline mix is interesting. I can’t think of any medieval or other reference to such a creature; when I imagine it it comes across as being a bit unbalanced.

pipsxlch
                    Participant

I picture something a little like a pegasus? Maybe feathered where a lion has longer hair on its body (down the back too a little?); only the head and wings raptor? The 3 legged wyvern is funny, I visualize a weird sort of tripod gait, one leg ahead of the others like on a 3 wheeler bike. Or like a dog missing a front leg learns to run.
                      Sorry I meant 4 legs and a pair of wings like Nam said by ‘6 limbed’. A 6 legged dragon sounds really wrong, ewww. Almost, not not quite as bad as those horrible multiple headed dragons, :puke: .

Maria
                      Participant

pipsxlch wrote:

I picture something a little like a pegasus? Maybe feathered where a lion has longer hair on its body (down the back too a little?); only the head and wings raptor?

You’re thinking of an Opinicus. If I understood Melody right, she drew a creature with a raptor’s head and wings and the back end of a lion – so no front paws.

pipsxlch wrote:

A 6 legged dragon sounds really wrong, ewww. Almost, not not quite as bad as those horrible multiple headed dragons, :puke: .

I think hexadragons are kinda neat,y especially when they’re wingless. (I guess I like ’em because they’re along the lines of basilisks :P) I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a winged one. Hydras are just a nuisance to draw.

Melody
                        Keymaster

Greater Basilisk wrote:

You don’t perchance have photos of these sculptures floating around somewhere, do you? A three-legged wyvern could be a fluke of nature, sort of like the six-legged calf…
                          The four-limbed raptor/feline mix is interesting. I can’t think of any medieval or other reference to such a creature; when I imagine it it comes across as being a bit unbalanced.

I still have the griffins -in a box that is in a crate somewhere, but I am pretty sure the wyvern got pitched at some point. He was under-fired and kept breaking. He was pretty ugly.
                          I might have photos but I think they are slides. Anyone know how to get slides made into digital images?

Pegasi1978
                          Participant

There is a way to turn slides and negatives into digital pictures. My former boss used to do it for the newspaper all the time. It took a special type scanner to do it though. It’s possible that you might be able to get them converted at Wal-Mart or some other photo processing place.

Melody
                            Keymaster

Greater Basilisk wrote:

So like bats with tails? Sounds really cute!

Nicole
                              Participant

Bats with tails–that’s how I imagine them to be. How else would they get around while they aren’t flying? ITs seems like they would be unbalanced otherwise. It could be really cute to. I hope you will take a crack at sculpting one Melody when you have the time ๐Ÿ˜€

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.