fbpx

'Frown-eyed' Male Dragons

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone 'Frown-eyed' Male Dragons

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Zelda
    Participant

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

Zelda
      Participant

Hello all! I thought I’d make a request: if anyone on the board is lucky enough to own one of those old castings of the male dragons with the low, frowny eyebrows, could you please post some pictures of the face? I got an old brown in the mail today who looks like he has one normal eye, and one ‘frowny’ one. Strange, but cute! I wanted to try and compare to see just which kind he is. Thanks in advance!

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

I have a old green male who has the squinty eyes. I noticed a few differences in him compared to the other 3 males I have. I have peacock, brown, old green and white. Of them he is the only one. I noticed that his eyebrow scales are much smaller and more profuse, while the newer ones have large “plated” style scales on their brows. I have to uploade the pics I took as comparisons. I will post them in this reply when I have that done…Now to remember my password for photobucket…LOL πŸ™„
        Here are a few pics…

Sorry about that last pic, but its past bed-time and I haven’t even had the chance to eat supper yet. πŸ˜›

Wow, I never really noticed the difference before. I wonder if my males are different.

Jennifer
        Keymaster

You may find this interesting:

In reference to the green males…

Melody wrote:

We changed the more transparent greens to the opaque green because it was hard for the painters to match each other’s paint jobs, since the color would vary with how much green paint they put on. We also switched to a much higher quality paint.
          What is odd about these two is that the eyebrow ridges match. When we were casting the older dragons, such as the older green one here, I always had to re-sculpt the master’s eyebrow ridges over the eyes. The rubber molds were all made from a plaster “master” and it would break there every time the mold was removed, so for a while every male dragon mold was a little different. That was before we started using epoxy masters.(Every once in awhile a “squinty eyed” male shows up on ebay. That was one particular mold where I had sculpted the eyebrow ridges so low down we could hardly get the eyes in)

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
          My art: featherdust.com

Wow, thanks Nam. I think I might have to find another OG male dragon. πŸ˜€

Maria
          Participant

That’s interesting. I just looked at Wolfen’s old brown male and he seems to have the frowny eyes.

Zelda
            Participant

Thanks all! I’ll have to wait until I get home from work to compare the pictures, and post up a few of my own. The old brown male pictured in Astral Castle’s encyclopedia has a real notable scowl to him. It’s the squinty-est male I’ve ever seen πŸ™‚

Starbreeze
              Participant

I just looked at my old brown male and he seems to be frowning a bit with his left eye (his left), but not with his right eye. I’ve had him for years and I never even noticed before. πŸ™‚

darjeb
                Participant

Your are right they are different I never noticed that before but the only other male I have is the IVEP which I just recently got

pipsxlch
                  Participant

Here’s my male; now that I look closely, he is ‘squintier’ on his non-display side than his display side, though there is a downward fold to the eyelid on both sides. I don’t have another male to compare him to. He also has much more brown on the non-display side! He was purchased in 1986.

Starbreeze
                    Participant

That’s pretty much how my brown male looks too, although mine may ‘frown’ a bit more on the eye that squints than yours does. πŸ™‚

KoishiiKitty
                      Participant

you can tell the Squinties by the scales. the normal males have a ridge of wider scales over the brow, while the squinties have smaller scales over the brow and no wide scales.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.