fbpx

Freckles?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Freckles?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

I have an old peacock emporer dragon. He has a large rust coloured chip on his wing. I don’t know how it got there. He’s never been banged around (too heavy for that). Is this what you would call a freckle? We were talking about freckling on another thread. Do you know if humidity would cause this? Or maybe large temperature swings? He is the only one in my collection to suddenly get freckles. While I was dusting him last I found white freckles on the inside of his tail and on his thighs close to his belly. Here is a picture of the chip on his shoulder.
    http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q313/Romeodanny/IMG_0060.jpg

lamortefille
    Participant

I was the other person asking about this. I have a black griffin that has started getting freckles as well – his are on the top of his head. He has gotten the same care as all of my others, but he is the only one with freckles. Just curious as to a possible cause…

Maybe humidity in the house? I don’t know. All I know is that for years I have washed my windstones with a slightly damp cloth and a soft bristle toothbrush. For the quick clean I use swiffer sheets. But one of the hatchingling dragons I bought (brown) had half his egg wore away from moisture and the paint just sorta peeled off. But I got out my trusty paper-clay and molded him a new egg, threw on some $.97 walmart acrylic ivory and wha-la not even noticeable. (not bad considering the most expensive part was the paper-clay @ $5.99. Dragon…$3.75! Fixing a Windstone you got a great deal on…PRICELESS!!) 😆

frozendragon
      Participant

is it fly poo?

does it come off or what?

I’ve never seen that….

Melody
        Keymaster

Romeodanny wrote:

I have an old peacock emporer dragon. He has a large rust coloured chip on his wing. I don’t know how it got there. He’s never been banged around (too heavy for that). Is this what you would call a freckle? We were talking about freckling on another thread. Do you know if humidity would cause this? Or maybe large temperature swings? He is the only one in my collection to suddenly get freckles. While I was dusting him last I found white freckles on the inside of his tail and on his thighs close to his belly. Here is a picture of the chip on his shoulder.
          http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q313/Romeodanny/IMG_0060.jpg

For a while we were dipping the fresh castings into an autumn brown colored stain. We thought it would help to prime the piece for paint, and at the same time color the bottom of the piece so it wasn’t white.
          Those chips are probably the color of the stained gypsum showing through. The color usually wasn’t that dark a brown, but it did vary quite a bit. We stopped dipping the castings several years ago, so the gypsum under the paint is pure white in the more recent castings.
          He might have lighter freckles where the chips show a stained area that was lighter in color.
          We have tested this paint by repeatedly soaking the dragons in water, freezing them and then baking them in an oven. We have never had our test pieces do this. I don’t know why he would be chipping. Acid (even mildly acidic water, such as rain) is the only thing that will dissolve the gypsum.

SPark
          Participant

Apparently age does things that temperature doesn’t. I assume you tested the gold you use on claws and spines and such similarly, but every really old Windstone I’ve ever seen has the gold paint looking crackled and wierd. I’ve touched up the gold on quite a lot of my older ones.

lamortefille
            Participant

I guess it will remain a mystery then…

Quote:

Apparently age does things that temperature doesn’t. I assume you tested the gold you use on claws and spines and such similarly, but every really old Windstone I’ve ever seen has the gold paint looking crackled and wierd. I’ve touched up the gold on quite a lot of my older ones.

I hear that!

SPark wrote:

Actually, most of the gold on this one is perfect. If you have a flyer from 1992 “The Emperor” he looks almost exactly the same. The colour paterns are a little different but, the gold on all of my old windstones is just as it’s supposed to be. Some has rubbed off with being buffed so often but none of them are crackled and wierd. Most of my collection never had a hang tag, so you can imagine just how old they are. Well, I guess I’ll just paint over the chips. Interesting that this happened though.

WolfenMachine
              Participant

Paper clay….where did you get it, WindstoneCollector? Ive got a few chipped pieces that would like to be fixed again

Also-I don’t know about the rust freckle…but it looks large enough that you might could paint over it. ❓

Melody
                Keymaster

SPark wrote:

The paint we use on the claws is really brass particles, I think, and although it is coated with a clear finish, it will oxidize over time.

SPark
                  Participant

Ah, that explains it!

Jennifer
                    Keymaster

WindstoneCollector wrote:

Maybe humidity in the house? I don’t know. All I know is that for years I have washed my windstones with a slightly damp cloth and a soft bristle toothbrush. For the quick clean I use swiffer sheets. But one of the hatchingling dragons I bought (brown) had half his egg wore away from moisture and the paint just sorta peeled off. But I got out my trusty paper-clay and molded him a new egg, threw on some $.97 walmart acrylic ivory and wha-la not even noticeable. (not bad considering the most expensive part was the paper-clay @ $5.99. Dragon…$3.75! Fixing a Windstone you got a great deal on…PRICELESS!!) 😆

Paper clay? Like celluclay (the white stuff you mix with water)? If it is, that’s just glorified paper mache, just as a note for other users, and it does have some shrinking as it dries! If it’s something else, I’d love to hear what it is. 🙂

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                      My art: featherdust.com

SPark
                      Participant

Paperclay /can/ refer to a variety of fired clay, I’ve used the stuff in ceramics classes before. Supposedly it’s got a much lower shrinkage when fired than normal clay, and definitely doesn’t shrink much when drying, so you can let your piece dry out, and still add clay to it and work on it.

But that’s probably not what we’re talking about here, given that you can’t fire Windstones.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.