fbpx

Forum Etiquette

Home Forums Miscellany Community Forum Etiquette

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author

I am still kind of new to the forum thing and I was wondering if we could make a list of Etiquette that was in other Forums or make our own.

Comments? Suggestions?

Skigod377
    Participant

I found this and read a bit. Seems like good stuff.

http://www.isixsigma.com/forum/etiquette_guide.asp

skigod377 wrote:

I found this and read a bit. Seems like good stuff.

http://www.isixsigma.com/forum/etiquette_guide.asp

Although I don’t think we have any hope at all of adhering to 5)stay on topic! 😆 Actually, some of the best discussions have been ones that went way off the original topic. And I don’t mind the plugs for Windstone businesses – always on the look out for new sources of dragons,etc.

Skigod377
      Participant

Yeah, I dont mind those either. Even the ACEO and art plugs are cool.

dragonmedley
        Participant

In general, I haven’t seen the need to enforce an etiquette. People here are really nice and considerate.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
          I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

laphon1
          Participant

And generally if we get too far out of line one of the Moderators steps in.

Six Sigma is used by many major corporations and seems, to me at least, to be aimed for the business/corporate user rather than this type of Forum.

I don’t know if this is helpful, but i culled a few rules from my own bbs’s guidelines (which came from a set of guidelines written up by Sony) and i’ve found them useful over the years:

* Never Forget that the Person on the Other Side is Human *

Because your interaction with the network is through a computer it is easy to forget that there are people “out there.” Situations arise where emotions erupt into a verbal free-for-all that can lead to hurt feelings. Please remember that people all over the world are reading your words.

Do not attack people if you cannot persuade them with your presentation of the facts. Screaming, cursing, and abusing others only serves to make people think less of you and less willing to help you when you need it. Hasty words create more problems than they solve. Try not to say anything to others you would not say to them in person in a room full of people.

* Your Postings Reflect Upon You — Be Proud of Them *

Most people on the BBS will know you only by what you say and how well you say it. They may someday be your co-workers or friends. Take some time to make sure each posting is something that will not embarrass you later. Minimize your spelling errors and make sure that the article is easy to read and understand. Writing is an art and to do it well requires practice. Since much of how people judge you on the net is based on your writing, such time is well spent.

SPark
            Participant

While we’re on the subject, do you think it’s appropriate to post about personal issues? We’ve a wonderful sense of community here, and I know a lot of people have posted about things in their lives. But I kinda feel, in hindsight, that posting about my current woes may have been inappropriate. I’m not sure where the line is, though. I really, really, really don’t want to offend anybody, but I seem to have managed to anyhow, and I’d like to avoid doing that in the future, if I can, but I really am not sure what is and isn’t appropriate. I’m just feeling uncertain, I guess.

I think the fact that people here feel comfortable enough to post about personal issues is one of the things that makes this forum special. I, for one, feel like we’re group of friends rather than some random strangers on a public forum. So I think as long as the topic isn’t something that’s purposely offensive, its fine to discuss….and I don’t think any of us get offended that easily anyway. 🙂

Besides, it if something is really inappropriate, Chessie or Vantid can always step in…

Maria
              Participant

I won’t talk for anybody else, but personally I think this forum is a very good, human size. There are barely 100 members that post regularly, and we all know each other more or less well. I, for one, was not bothered by SPark’s posting her LJ woes, and I don’t think – after Ski goes back and finds SPark’s message to her – that anybody else really was either. I dare to say we’re all good friends, and that includes taking the ranting/venting with the gushing/gloating/gossiping… I think it’s perfect the way it is.

Starbreeze
                Participant

We’re all like brothers and sisters and I don’t know about you guys, but I disagree with my brother and sister all the time…doesn’t mean we aren’t still family…

Maria
                  Participant

😆 Good one, star. I have brothers, so you can imagine what we’re like. But it’s a good picture of the forum!

drag0nfeathers
                    Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

I won’t talk for anybody else, but personally I think this forum is a very good, human size. There are barely 100 members that post regularly, and we all know each other more or less well. I, for one, was not bothered by SPark’s posting her LJ woes, and I don’t think – after Ski goes back and finds SPark’s message to her – that anybody else really was either. I dare to say we’re all good friends, and that includes taking the ranting/venting with the gushing/gloating/gossiping… I think it’s perfect the way it is.

If Nirvanacat and I can become best buddies anything is possible right !?! LOL!

Honestly, most of the people on this forum I consider my closest friends. I live by my computer for the most part so I do 99% of my socializing on this forum. I love all you guys! *HUGS*

Everyone on this forum was here for me a hundred times more then any of my overrated *in the flesh* friends, for what it’s worth =)

Got a busted Windstone?
                      drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                      *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                      Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                      Siphlophis Male Dragon
                      Calypso Hatching Empress
                      Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                      Tattoo Mother Kirin
                      Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                      Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                      Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                      Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                      Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                      Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Maria
                      Participant

That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, drag0n! Well said!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.