fbpx

For all you chocoholics out there…

Home Forums Miscellany Food For all you chocoholics out there…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    twindragonsmum
    Participant

tdm

twindragonsmum
      Participant

One of my favorites from my family cookbook. Enjoy!

Chocolate Pots de Creme

4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped (I like Scharfen Berger or Valrhona)
        2 cups heavy cream
        4 large egg yolks
        1/3 cup sugar
        1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
        1 teaspoon grated orange zest (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Put the chopped chocolate in a large measuring cup or mixing bowl and set a sieve on top. Pour the cream into a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer, then remove from heat. If using orange zest, stir it into the cream before heating and steep 5 minutes covered, off the heat.

Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks in a mixing bowl, adding the sugar gradually. Continue whisking for a minute or until the yolks are pale yellow and thick and form a ribbon when dropped from the whisk.

By driblets, pour the hot cream into the egg yolks, stirring (not beating) with the whisk, until evenly blended. Immediately pour this custard through the sieve over the chocolate pieces, removing any coagulated bits of egg, and stir gently with a large spoon to melt the chocolate and blend it into the custard. Stir in the vanilla extract. Skim off any surface bubbles.

Fill individual ramekins with chocolate mixture and bake for 25 minutes in a water bath as for other custard recipes. Chill thoroughly, at least 4 hours, before serving. The custard will be quite soft when it comes out of the oven, but will set up as it chills.

tdm

Jasmine
        Participant

Oh, that sounds lovely. Mmmm, chocolate…

Yum…that sounds good. I’ll have to try it — my boyfriend is a chocoholic. πŸ™‚

Starbreeze
          Participant

Sounds great to me too!!! I am mos def a chocoholic!!! πŸ˜†

Purplecat
            Participant

Yummmm……

Maria
              Participant

Yummy! Maybe we can make that for Thanksgiving.

darjeb
                Participant

Your making me hungry

Oooo Can’t wait to try this one Sounds like it will go great with my pumpkin roll

Wheeee!! Yum! Thanks! (Although I will say we just made a chocolate rum brulee, and I tried to carmelize the top and that part didn’t work so well)
                  I love chocolate w/orange. πŸ˜€

Also, thanks twindragonsmum for posting food recipes! They’re sooo good! I’m still going to try the cream biscuits, but haven’t yet.

twindragonsmum
                  Participant

You’re welcome! I’ve got tons more; the family cook book is 450 + pages. Let me know what kind of things you’re interested in and I’ll post what I’ve got. Or I can just keep on posting random things (would you believe I’ve a recipe for “son of a bitch stew”? It comes from gram’pa’s days as a cowboy 😈 ) Glad you like these so far!

twindragonsmum

tdm

lamortefille
                    Participant

twindragonsmum wrote:

You’re welcome! I’ve got tons more; the family cook book is 450 + pages. Let me know what kind of things you’re interested in and I’ll post what I’ve got. Or I can just keep on posting random things (would you believe I’ve a recipe for “son of a bitch stew”? It comes from gram’pa’s days as a cowboy 😈 ) Glad you like these so far!

twindragonsmum

I’m not much of a cook, but I’d like to see that recipe. πŸ˜†

WolfenMachine
                      Participant

Speaking of Chocolate-I found a new soda today…it’s Cherry-Chocolate Diet Dr.Pepper. I’m not a fan of diet drinks, but I didn’t see that it came in a non-diet version. OH.my.GOSH.
                        It is AMAZING! Tastes exactly like chocolate covered cherries! O.O but you have to drink it fast or without ice because it seems to melt the ice SUPER super fast. If you put a scoop of vanilla ice cream at the bottom of a glass and then pour the choco drink on top of it, it kills the artificial sugar taste and it is even more amazing 😯

Maria
                        Participant

Aw man, another weird drink that won’t jump the pond. Can you bring some when you come? πŸ˜›

darjeb
                          Participant

Now you are talking my language

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.