fbpx

Foil Sculptures

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Foil Sculptures

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Starbreeze
    Participant

Starbreeze
      Participant

Hi Melody,

I was just wondering how long does it take to create a foil sculpture like those currently on ebay? I don’t think we’ve had a topic on this before. :scratch:

twindragonsmum
        Participant

Me boyohs were wondering how you keep those sculpts from being “squished”? And Sean would like to know “how did Melody do that?!?”

twindragonsmum 🙂

tdm

Melody
          Keymaster

starbreeze wrote:

Hi Melody,

I was just wondering how long does it take to create a foil sculpture like those currently on ebay? I don’t think we’ve had a topic on this before. :scratch: Good question, I don’t really know, exactly. They vary allot. Some don’t take much time at all, (I can make an auminum foil horse in about ten minutes) some, like the dragon on ebay now, I may work on for days -a few minutes at a time. I keep adding and changing stuff until it looks right.
            All of the ones that have been on ebay are ones I have fussed around with because I want them to look nice and to be structurally sound so they won’t get squished. They take longer to make than the fragile quickies that I make for myself, though they don’t look very different!

Melody
            Keymaster

twindragonsmum wrote:

Me boyohs were wondering how you keep those sculpts from being “squished”? And Sean would like to know “how did Melody do that?!?”

twindragonsmum 🙂 I use hot glue to reinforce the ones on Ebay, and pack them very firmly, sometimes even using pliers to really compress the aluminum foil. I found that if I give them a few heavy coats of the clear finish that we use on Windstones, it gives them additional strength. That clear coat is amazingly strong.
              Normally I use no additives at all on the squishable variety I make for myself.
              I tear off a piece of foil and just start sculpting it, starting with the head and working back. You gotta think about where the legs will go and plan to have enough material to make them out of. The squishy ones are made out of one piece of foil with a bit of extra foil stuffed inside to add bulk to the body.

Bodine
              Participant

:hi: That’s cool. it is amazing what the imagination can design :yes:

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

purpledragonclaw
                Participant

It’s amazing what Melody can design!

Maria
                  Participant

I was really impressed when I saw the coyote. I’d never have thought of squishing aluminum foil into a sellable, shippable sculpture.

Jennifer
                    Keymaster

Greater Basilisk wrote:

I was really impressed when I saw the coyote. I’d never have thought of squishing aluminum foil into a sellable, shippable sculpture.

I think many many artists use foil as a sculpture base, to bulk up sculptures without adding much weight. 😀 I do it for underneath all of my sculpture work.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                      My art: featherdust.com

Maria
                      Participant

That’s makes sense. Learned something new!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.