fbpx

Flap cats

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Flap cats

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I just bought a small bird siamese flat cat. I was wondering if all flap cats had felt on them. The one I received looks like it might of and it has a “F” on the bottom. Do you know what they would look like if the felt had come off?

Participant

dragonessjade wrote:

I just bought a small bird siamese flat cat. I was wondering if all flap cats had felt on them. The one I received looks like it might of and it has a “F” on the bottom. Do you know what they would look like if the felt had come off?

Mine has one, but it was one of the last ones they made I think. I don’t know if they ever came out without one.

I have a frog wizard where the felt came off (accidentally got liquid paraffin on it and it dissolved the glue), and it has a smooth bottom which is painted the same color as the rest of the piece. There’s a “W” etched on the bottom which is stretched out horizontally.

Jennifer
      Keymaster

Just an “FYI”- Melody and her family is out of town until after Thanksgiving, so she may or may not be able to answer your question until after that (you may have to bring it to her attention if it gets buried). 🙂

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
        My art: featherdust.com

Yeah, I know she is out. I just wanted to ask while it was on my mind.

Melody wrote:

ruffian wrote:

Is there any way to figure out when your dragon was actually cast? I kknow that you date them when you make them, but how can you tell what year they were cast? I have a mother dragon with the felt bottom but it doesnt appear that a tag was ever attached under it.

Anywho I was just curious, Tina.We started using the pads around 1987(?), but we didn’t start using the hangtags till about 1990, so your dragon could of been made during those years.
        We didn’t mark the castings with the individual year they were made, but the initials of the person who cast and trimmed them is scratched into the bottom under the pad. If we had known that these things would become collectable, we would of kept better records! They do have individual mold numbers inside the eye sockets that can tell the age more precisely, but you’d have to break the eyeball out to see it! ( the eyeshut flapcats have little mold numbers on them somewhere that are visible, under the wing or something)
        *edit*( come to think of it, all of the peices have mold marks on them somewhere If they don’t have eyesockets, these marks might be where you can find them. How big the number is will give a hint about how old the piece is, in its casting order at least.Lowest numbers are oldest.)

melody inadvertantly answered this in one of my questions.

Great thanks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.