fbpx

Fishy!

Home Forums Miscellany Community Fishy!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

I lost one of my goldfish last week…not sure exactly why, but he had been getting slow and having problems, I isolated him and he died shortly after. So after waiting a week to be sure it was not catching…i went out to replace him.
    And boy did I get some wonderful fish…YEP two for one! ha! So my tank is 30 gallons and I have 4 goldfish, 1 beta, and 3 tetras *not sure why they are living in my cold tank so well but anyway…. Here are my new babies…two Ryukins!

Skigod377
    Participant

Sorry about your loss… I read the first sentence and wondered… how does one lose a fish??

Maria
      Participant

So pretty, Whippet! I’ve never seen a silver one with orange fins before…

skigod377 wrote:

Sorry about your loss… I read the first sentence and wondered… how does one lose a fish??

When they jump out of the bowl behind the very heavy piano! Happened when I was a kid.

Congrats on the new fish, Whippet, they are very pretty! πŸ˜€

Skigod377
        Participant

ddvm wrote:

When they jump out of the bowl behind the very heavy piano! Happened when I was a kid.

Yikes! Suicidal fish?!!

They are very pretty, SPark. A little chubby, though, dontcha think?? Juuust kidding! I love those fish! They have them in black, too, right? I always thought those were pretty, too.

Very traumatic when you are a child and your fish jump out of the bowl. I guess we filled the bowl with too much water. Anyway, a couple of them jumped over the side. *sniff* They went to their little fishy deaths. And ended up as fertlizer for my mom’s roses! πŸ˜‰

Once I had a suicidal african water frog, but he never succeeded in committing suicide.

I had a suicidal fire eel when I was a kid. Its pretty amazing that he managed to get out, because the light was attached to a cover that covered almost the entire tank, and there was only a small gap on the top where the water from the filter was returned to the tank (it was one of those filters that hangs on the side of the tank). The tank was sitting on top of an old TV, the kind that had legs 6″ high.

Anyway, one day the fire eel disappeared. We thought that he had managed to jump out somehow, so we looked all around the tank, but we didn’t see him. We were mystified as to where he went.

Then, several months later, something fell underneath the TV that the fish tank was on. And when I got on the ground so that I could reach underneath the TV to pick it up, I happened to glance up…and saw a dessicated fire eel stuck to the bottom of the TV. 😯

Elena
          Participant

WhenI was a kid we had fish that would jump and whack themselves on the aquarium cover everynight at 11pm. There was a little hole area for the filters and occasionally one would escape and die behind the cabinet. They didn’t lay there too long cause we kids would notice if one was missing pretty quick!

Congrats on your new arrivals whippet!

Jodi
            Participant

Those are pretty fish, Whippet. They look like my Kaiyodo fish. πŸ™‚

Jennifer
              Keymaster

Ryukins are such pretty fish! My favorite kind of ‘goldfish’!

All eels and long bodied fish (ropefish, bichirs, etc) are exceptional escape artists, so fishkeeper beware!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                My art: featherdust.com

Megan
                Participant

Ooh, they’re lovely! I’m jealous. We cannot have small, cute, normal fish like these at my place, oh no. We have to have huge, gigantic koi-zillas that I am sure eat whatever birds and/or small animals that fall in our pond. Once a year I’m forced in their with the monsters and they bite at my legs for a few hours while we clean the pond 😑

One did breach out and flop itself in front of my dog last summer, though. He played with it a while and brought it in the house to show us. Dang, mom was livid… that was an expensive fish.

Hope your little guys do alright!

I have an 8 inch congo bichir named Blarf (the Blimp) (Yes after John Candy in Spaceballs). He never tries to get out, but he is infamous in making little fishes disappear. Now he is in with one big red and white goldfish, a dragon goby his size, and two full grown angelfish. There are a couple more, but they are small, so they won’t be there for long. πŸ˜•
                  Ryukins and Orandas are very beautiful fish. I did have a 29 gallon with a bunch of fancy goldfish…I also like the Black Moores. I had a 125 with Koi for a long time. I have a small library in fish books. 😯
                  Very pretty fish Whippet. I especially love the fact he is white with those beeautiful orange/red fins. Congrats on your new pretties!!! πŸ˜€

Maria
                  Participant

My big comet occasionally jumps up and hits the lid of his tank. I think he’d jump out if he could.
                    His only crime so far has been in devouring a full dozen neons…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.