fbpx

First PYO ordered-painting questions

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone First PYO ordered-painting questions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    KoishiiKitty
    Participant

I just orderd my first PYO! it is a dragon and I am sooooo excited! I can’t hold a job, so getting money for anything is not easy, and I hate bugging my parents for something like this since I am 21,jobless, and they end up paying for everything..So being able to buy this on my own was a real big deal. THANK YOU Drag0nfeathers and Danthedragon! I ordered her yesterday and she will be shipped monday! I am going to have a hard time waiting.

so in the meantime i have paint questions. I read the complete PYO tutorial on the PYO page and I also read through Nambroths post and some back posts…but there are a few things I had a hard time understanding and did not find.

Base Coats: has any one used a black base coat before? how did it affect the finnished work,were you happy with it? and did you use just a black acrylic or some other base paint?

and intereferance and metalic paints:
      are metalic paints alright for the whole pyo? or only small bits? has any one used both metalic and interferance at the same tims, for instance, metalic with interferance washed over it? can interference provide a nice metalic look?

those are the only questions I have right now. any help is a GREAT thanx!

KoishiiKitty
      Participant

dragonmedley
        Participant

I use almost only metallics on my dragons and it turns out just fine.

I did mix metallics and regular on the hummingbird dragon for Drag0nfeathers (it’s in my gallery) and I think it’s ok. I’ve never used interference paint, though, so can’t help you there.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
          I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Jennifer
          Keymaster

KoishiiKitty wrote:

Base Coats: has any one used a black base coat before? how did it affect the finnished work,were you happy with it? and did you use just a black acrylic or some other base paint?

Yes- you can use a black base coat! The factory sent me several PYO griffins with a solid black base coat, to see how they would paint. If you want vivid or light colors I would not recommend this method. You will never quite get as strong a hue on a dark color as you would on white. Black base coats work very well for interference paints though!! It just takes many layers and care to get them to look good. Thin the interference paints with a mixing medium if possible, to reduce milky-ness, and apply them in many very thin coats for the best result. πŸ™‚
            The griffin on the far LEFT of this image:

http://www.windstoneeditions.com/galleries/albums/userpics/3grifflineup.jpg
            was done with a black base coat, then many careful layers of interference paint and some normal paint mixed with interference.

Quote:

and intereferance and metalic paints:
            are metalic paints alright for the whole pyo? or only small bits? has any one used both metalic and interferance at the same tims, for instance, metalic with interferance washed over it? can interference provide a nice metalic look?

Yes to all- The look of your PYO is totally up to you! Some might consider an entirely metallic PYO gaudy, some might love it. This is a matter of personal taste! As long as the paints are acrylic based you are okay. πŸ™‚
            Metallic with interference washed over it does some interesting things. I painted a griffin metallic silver once, and washed him over with interference blue. The end result was a metallic silver PYO with some ‘flashes’ of blue.
            Interference can provide a metallic look- not quite like silver or gold, but a colored metallic look. It just takes some experimenting. If you want a true metallic look however it is best to use metallic paints- either in whole or mixed with other colors. I hope that makes sense? πŸ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

Maria
            Participant

Wow, Nam – hard to believe that light bellied guy was done on a black base coat. Nice job – comme d’habitude.

KoishiiKitty
              Participant

that is EXACTLY what I needed know, thanx Nambroth. I kinda had the idea that the paints work ok with each other, but I wanted to get some second opinions from people who might have tried it allready before I go out and buy some paints. I was really wanting to make sure of the difference between the two paints and if they are compatible..with out finding out later that they turn wierd colors or something un-planned when mixed or used together. Yosh. I believe I got all I need to know then….no I just have to wait for the PYO to arive.*whines*

The Starling Gryphon I did here:
                http://www.windstoneeditions.com/galleries/thumbnails.php?album=110

He had a black basecoat that I then put interference over top of, thin layer by thin layer ^_^

KoishiiKitty
                Participant

sunhawk wrote:

He had a black basecoat that I then put interference over top of, thin layer by thin layer ^_^

Thank you very much Sunhawk! that gives me a good idea of the general affect doing that would have.

Jennifer
                  Keymaster

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Wow, Nam – hard to believe that light bellied guy was done on a black base coat. Nice job – comme d’habitude.

Hard to believe, because it’s not true! I typoed- the one of the far LEFT of the photo is the black base coat griffin. My apologies!! 😳

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                    My art: featherdust.com

KoishiiKitty wrote:

sunhawk wrote:

Thank you very much Sunhawk! that gives me a good idea of the general affect doing that would have.

You are most welcome ^_^ I used just about every colour of interference for that one – violet, red, orange, bit of gold, green and blue

drag0nfeathers
                    Participant

Well, everything I was going to suggest was already covered, LOL!

*wags finger* I just wanted to say that there’s nothing wrong with being jobless, hahaha!

Got a busted Windstone?
                      drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                      *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                      Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                      Siphlophis Male Dragon
                      Calypso Hatching Empress
                      Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                      Tattoo Mother Kirin
                      Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                      Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                      Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                      Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                      Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                      Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

KoishiiKitty
                      Participant

drag0nfeathers wrote:

Well, everything I was going to suggest was already covered, LOL!

*wags finger* I just wanted to say that there’s nothing wrong with being jobless, hahaha!

I know. It still gets to me from time to time though.

drag0nfeathers
                        Participant

Yea, me too, just the fact people think of me as a clich’e unemployed bum when I’m NOT! If anything I work just as hard, if not harder then most people. Trying to survive on your artwork is one of the toughest jobs out there, but also one of the most satisfying I think πŸ˜€

Got a busted Windstone?
                          drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                          *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                          Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                          Siphlophis Male Dragon
                          Calypso Hatching Empress
                          Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                          Tattoo Mother Kirin
                          Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                          Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                          Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                          Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                          Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                          Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Megan
                          Participant

If it makes you feel better, drag0n and Koishii, college is my full-time job πŸ™‚

If we measured a person’s worth by their job half the population of the world wouldn’t have the right to exist, sooo… nya! πŸ˜› to people who bother you about it!

KoishiiKitty
                            Participant

that is true.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.