Favorite Fantasy/Sci Fi Novels

Home Forums Miscellany General Writing Discussion Favorite Fantasy/Sci Fi Novels

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    etruscan
    Participant

The Miles Vorkosigan books by Lois McMaster Bujold (The Warrior’s Apprentice and subsequent titles) are good if you like space opera.

GardenNinja
      Participant

One of my all time favorite science fiction books is Falling Free by McMaster Bujold. If you haven’t read it, I highly recommend it. It is set in the same universe, but a very long time before the Vorkosigan books.

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

etruscan
        Participant

Yes, someday I’ll read that one.  I recently got copies of “Shards of Honor” and “Barrayar”, so I seem to be working backwards from the Miles books.

As you probably know, “Diplomatic Immunity” is set on the quaddie worlds and Nichol, a quaddie musician, appears in “Labyrinth” as well as in “Diplomatic Immunity”.

GardenNinja
          Participant

Yeah, I started to mention that, then realized I had no idea what the titles were. I don’t actually own many of them, just Falling Free and Cordelia’s Honor (Shards of Honor and Barrayar omnibus). My brother introduced me to them in the 1990’s. He had all the ones then publised, and loaned them all to me at the same time. So once he pointed out the chronology in the back, I was able to read them in the universe’s chronological order. I actually read Ethan of Athos first because I had looked at the copyright dates. I think it was the strong female main character in Shards and Barrayar that really drew me in to the whole series. Ethan of Athos was a little strange. It is contemporary to Miles, but neither he nor Cordelia are in it.
            I continue to get all the new ones after my brother has read them.

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

etruscan
            Participant

Ethan of Athos definitely is different, or imaginative if you prefer that.  I was interested to see Ellie Quinn on her own in that one, and the way that Bujold included bits of the plot line as a background element when she wrote Cetaganda.

I have an omnibus volume (Miles, Mystery & Mayhem) with Ethan of Athos and Cetaganda, plus “Labyrinth”.  Many of the Miles stories have been combined into omnibus books, and I would like to see an omnibus with Falling Free and Diplomatic Immunity since they both deal with quaddies, but I don’t know whether one will be produced.

P.S.  I have not read either Captain Vorpatril’s Alliance or Admiral Joule and the Red Queen.

Catriona
              Participant

Anne McCaffreys pern stories. I never get tired of reading them . Marion Zimmer Bradleys Darkover series. She was the first in science fiction to create a gay character. She helped many women in getting published. Mercades Lackey wrote her first stories for MZB Sword and the Sorceress. I love her books too. Mercades Lackey is still one of my favorites.

I love Halloween 🎃 and other spooky things. Bats, cats, ghosts , and monsters. I love 💕 to write stories and draw.

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.