Favorite Fantasy/Sci Fi Novels

Home Forums Miscellany General Writing Discussion Favorite Fantasy/Sci Fi Novels

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Chloe
    Participant

My absolute favorite series is George R.R. Martin’s Game of Thrones….they’re so popular now with the series being out they’ve become mainstream…but I have read them a million times. One thing I really enjoy is that you can read the novels a few different ways…but just one character at a time or by reading the book back to back. I was disappointed in “Feast of Crows”, though.

I had the good fortune to meet Brom and have him sign my volume of “Plucker”….his book “Child Thief” is incredible.

“The Book of Lost Things” by John Connely is also highly amusing and worth a read.

Also, Patrick Rothfuss has two books in a series that are astounding “The Name of the Wind” and “The Kingkiller: Day Two”. I am eagerly awaiting the third novel.

I will read ANYTHING by Neil Gaiman……anything.

Joe Hill (Stephen King’s son) has an AWESOME graphic novel series called “Locke and Key”. Illustrations are by Gabriel Rodriquez (the same illustrator on Clive Barker’s Great and Secret Show) and the books are worth checking out.

Joe Abercrombie has a series out there that was a fun read….”The First Law” series…and I also read “Best Served Cold” and “Heroes”….

I sure wish Robert Jordan were still around to finish his “Eye of the World” series…but Brandon Sanderson seems to be doing well with wrapping up the “never-ending” story.

In no particular order:

J.R.R. Tolkien, J.K. Rowling, George R.R. Martin, Garth Nix, Philip Pullman, Brian Jacques, Stephen King, C.S. Lewis, Brian Lumley, and a new favorite, Kevin Hearne.

Nix, Pullman, Rowling and Jacques hold a special place as the ones read and reread during my teen years.

Jasmine
      Participant

I hope it’s ok to revive old threads! Lots of great recommendations on here (as well as some old favorites). I’ve been meaning to start the Pern series for AGES now. As for me, I’m basically always reading so it can be overwhelming to try to organize a big list of top books but luckily I have an all-time favorite series that just can’t be beat, and that’s His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman !!

Betrluk1
        Participant

WOW Misty…..we have the exact same taste. I will also add anything by Anne Bishop.

Betrluk1
          Participant

I always hope for a well done movie of anne mccaffrey’s dragonrider books too, preferably with the original artist michael whelans concepts vs the bug versions now gracing their covers.

Jasmine
            Participant

Michael Whelan’s art is the first thing that attracted me to Dragonriders. That, and just. dragons. Nothing beats that 60’s sci-fi cover style painting. Swoon!

tintaglia25
              Participant

Resurrection time again. 🙂

Starting reading the Pern series in my teens. Found the first two in the grocery stores. I’m pretty sure I’ve read all of Anne’s books, don’t think I’ve read any of Todd’s books.

My current favorite author is Robin Hobb. Read the Live Ship trilogy and that led me into the Rain Wild series. I was put off for the longest time by the ‘Assassin’ title of her other books. When I chanced upon a free copy of the first Assassin book for my Nook, I decided to give it a try. When I finally realized they were set in the same world and were interwoven with the Live Ships and the Rain Wilds, I read through the rest of her books non-stop. Now I’m waiting for the next book coming out later this year.

I haven’t read the Dresden series, but I love Jim Butcher’s Aeronaut’s Windlass, first book in the steampunk Cinder Spires series. Don’t know when the next book is coming out, but I gotta have it.

The book I’m currently reading is The Summer Dragon by Todd Lockwood. The story sounded interesting when I read the cover jacket, but what really got me were the illustrations inside. I’m barely halfway through the book and I’m wanting the next book in the trilogy, which of course has no proposed publication date yet.

Jut wanted share. 🙂

etruscan
                Participant

I wouldn’t say ANYTHING by her, but I do like the Others.

etruscan
                  Participant

It looks like Peter S. Beagle (The Last Unicorn, etc.) has a couple of relatively new novels – Summerlong, and In Calabria.  Has anyone read them and, if so, how are they?

Bodine
                    Participant

Definitely MELODY PENA’S THE VELIGENT,awaiting RUE DAY

LOTR/HOBBIT,SILMARILLION,LOST TALES,UNFINISHED TALES by JRRTolkien

DRAGONRIDERS OF PERN by Anne Mccaffrey.I have,I think,all of her series and Todd’s,though not a big fan of his writing them.

I agree about the artwork.I love the dust jackets.

A SONG OF FIRE AND ICE,need it!Anybody have a copy to pass along?

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                      (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                      Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Zexious
                      Participant

The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and The Silmarillion are some of my all time favorite books. I’ve read each countless times, and I definitely think they’ve had a hand in shaping the person I am today. Middle Earth is such an incredibly well thought out universe. Truly, it’s an incredible work.

I’ll admit that sci-fi isn’t generally my cup of tea, but there are a few notable authors and works that I can still support. As for what I didn’t see mentioned on this page of the thread, there’s: Orson Scott Card (Ender’s Game), Ray Bradbury (Fahrenheit 451 and The Martian Chronicles), Arthur C. Clarke (Rendezvous with Rama), and Daniel Keyes (Flowers for Algernon).
                        Then, of course, H.G. Wells’ “War of the Worlds”.

Looks like y’all have most of my fantasy suggestions covered: A Game of Thrones, The Lord of the Rings, works by Stephen King, Neil Gayman, and Peter S. Beagle… I’d also suggest Diana Wynne Joans’ “Howl’s Moving Castle”, and, of course, good ol Harry Potter <3

Melody
                        Keymaster

Oh man, I need to print this comment out and frame it!

Melody
                          Keymaster

Anne McCaffery’s final resting place…When I first saw this image it was such a mix of sadness and  amazement: She has a beautiful dragon headstone… and notice who is on guard at her feet.

Zexious
                            Participant

What a gorgeous plot. <3 I’ve never heard of Anne McCaffery–I’ll have to check her out!

Bodine
                              Participant

Looks like she is needing another white mother.Nature is reclaiming that one.I can imagine the pride you felt Ms.Melody. That is simply awesome.

Zexious,I have a spare copy of The Dragonriders of Pern if you would like it.lmk (3 books in one.)

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                                (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                                Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.