Favorite Fantasy/Sci Fi Novels

Home Forums Miscellany General Writing Discussion Favorite Fantasy/Sci Fi Novels

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Carolyn
    Participant

Be it a single book or series .

Ok my faverite series is Anne McCaffrey’s Pern . I have read the first 6 books over 10 times and the other novels from twice to 5 times . Depends on how new they are .

The Dresdan Files by Jim Butcher I adore Harry Dresdan . Wizard and private detective in Chicago . Re reading them right now . Up to the last book in the series . Can’t wait till the next one .

Anything by Charles de Lint , a master of urban fantasy .

Ray Bradbury Something Wicked This Way Comes .

I have to add Andre Norton . I love her books sense I was a kid .

Misty
      Participant

I love Melanie Rawn, Mercedes Lackey, Anne McCaffrey, Piers Anthony, Charlene Harris, The game of thrones novels George Martin I think?, and many many others lol. I read too much >.<

Purplecat
        Participant

Robin Hobb is one of my favorite authors.

kitsunelady
          Participant

Sharon Shinn and Robin McKinley, to name some no one else has mentioned yet! I also really like the book Threshold, by Sara Douglass. I haven’t read any of her other books, though. e.e Hmm, and ‘Song in the Silence’ by Elizabeth Kerner.

briteblades
            Participant

I love the Dragonlance series! Also you can’t go wrong with Tolkien (I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE HOBBIT MOVIE IN 2012!) The Redwall series by Brian Jacques is a favorite also. I recently started getting into the True Blood books and I like them so far!

dragonmedley
              Participant

I also really like the book Threshold, by Sara Douglass. I haven’t read any of her other books, though.

I’ve read pretty much everything she wrote and just love it! She has another stand alone novel, Beyond the hanging wall. The rest are series.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

bayoudragon
                Participant

Listed in no particular order. ๐Ÿ™‚

1) Dragonlance series – this was the first fantasy series I ever read

2) Pern series – I think these are a must read.

3) Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull – I really enjoyed these. They’re good for all ages! I would be interested in any reviews for his new Beyonders series as well.

4) Dark Horse trilogy by Mary H. Herbert – Yay for magical telepathic horses! I do believe it has expanded into a series, but I’ve only read the trilogy (I may have to remedy this). I’ve read them many times, and it gets packed up with me when I evac for a hurricane. LOL!

5) The Plucker by Brom – This is actually an illustrated novel. I’ve always liked Brom’s artwork, but he’s a great storyteller as well. Some may find it a little dark and creepy. It’s like a messed up version of Toy Story. XD He also has a full novel (darker) titled The Child Thief which is a dark twisted version of Peter Pan (I haven’t finished that one yet).

littleironhorse
                  Participant

The Deed of Paksenarrion, by Elizabeth Moon.

The Sarantine Mosaic, by Guy Gavriel Kay.

The Serpentwar Saga, by Raymond E. Feist.

Malazan Book of the Fallen, by Steven Erikson

Among many, many others!

I read very few series or book collections, my two favorite authors are currently working on two book series one has a great paranormal saga set in modern times. The second author series goes from present day into an alternate reality, and her second series is a paranormal series set in modern day America.

Hunter saga and The Veil author Shilo Walker

Carpathian series author Christine Feehan (Also writes several other series in the same realm of fiction)

If your into paranormal dark romance these books are a great starting point, my suggestions for starter books from both series is

Hunter series -Hunters Salvation, Hunting the hunter, and Hunters Need by Shiloh Walker
                    1st book- The Veil saga brand new series – Through the Veil by Shiloh Walker
                    Dark Prince,Dark Challenge, Dark secret -all books in the Carpathian saga by Christine Feehan.

These books are really good and have a really kinda slow start but they really pick up quite quickly. The plots and details are very well thought out but be warned these sagas are for mature and age appropriate audiences because of the themes these books represent. However these books are very enjoyable on a rainy day, icy day, or late night after a good horror flick.

Jacquelyn Frank is an author I just started reading and she is really good. Dark fantasy…right up my alley. Also love all things Piers Anthony….even named my dog Xanth. I also love all P.C Cast & Kristen Cast, Anne Rice before she went religious, Christopher Paolini, Stephen Erikson, and a whole lot of authors that are not fantasy. Currently reading Jonathan Kellerman (Alex Deleware series), Ken follett, J.D.Robb, Micheal Chrichton, John Connely etc. I am an obsessive reader if you haven’t guessed!

Just got into the Stephen King novels too except for “IT”. That is one book I will never ever read!!!

๐Ÿ™ Can’t sleep, clowns will eat me!!!!:(

I am terrified of clowns…even punched one at the circus after I warned and begged and pleaded for him to stay back…do not come any closer to me. He did not listen…thought it was funny…I had the last laugh!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Felt bad cuz I had my son with me but I really did warn him. The only reason I went was because my son was desperate to go and I LOVE Elephants!!

Carolyn
                    Participant

I don’t care for clowns either . I watched the movie IT and it was creepy . Tim Curry played IT.

etruscan
                      Participant

Does Southern Gothic + magic qualify as fantasy? If so, check out the trilogy by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl – BEAUTIFUL CREATURES, BEAUTIFUL DARKNESS and BEAUTIFUL CHAOS. Just amazing!

Ann

Hands down, Carol Berg is my favorite author. Her first books are more fantasy, but her latest series is dabbling more in sci-fi. If you haven’t read anything from her, pick up her first book “Song of the Beast.” It’s about dragons and is a good introduction to her writing style. She is the most talented writer I have read. Her character and story development are so deep and intense and she often does not pick the obvious route.

Read it!!!!!

Adaneth
                          Participant

Hands down, Carol Berg is my favorite author. Her first books are more fantasy, but her latest series is dabbling more in sci-fi. If you haven’t read anything from her, pick up her first book “Song of the Beast.” It’s about dragons and is a good introduction to her writing style. She is the most talented writer I have read. Her character and story development are so deep and intense and she often does not pick the obvious route.

Read it!!!!!

I love ‘Song of the Beast’! Hopefully I can find time to check out her ‘Collegia Magica’ books sometime this year. ๐Ÿ™‚ I think I’ve read all the rest.

phantomess
                            Participant

I particularly love Tolkien (author of Lord of the Rings and more), and I love The Neverending Story by Michael Ende. In fact I plan to get around to reading the latter in its original language, German, sometime, now that I can.

As for science fiction, I haven’t read much of that (despite loving sci fi in the form of movies and TV shows), but I did really enjoy Battlefield Earth. I don’t care that the author founded scientology. Guy can write, man.

Formerly had the Batman & Joker avatar!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.