fbpx

Fake Ebay Shilling email

Home Forums Miscellany Community Fake Ebay Shilling email

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author

I just got an email that my account at ebay was suspended for schilling but I’m 99.9% sure it was a spam. Especially since I have never shilled. I checked my ebay messages and there wasn’t a message there. Someone else I work with got a similar message. So it looks like the lowlifes who were doing the bogus second chance offers have a new scheme. Just wanted to warn everyone.

Skigod377
    Participant

Thanks! They do indeed do that. Just a note… when EBAY sends you an Email, it will have your NAME on it. If your actual name is not on the email, it did not come from Ebay!!

Jodi
      Participant

You can also check in My Messages on Ebay because there will be a copy of the message in there too. Big hint… if you get an email saying your account’s been suspended, but you can go (in a separate window) to Ebay and check your account, it has not been suspended. Make sure you don’t click the link in the email and sign in through the email or they will have your password.

Plus the email said any auctions I was bidding on were suspended but my bid for the young em. peacock was still there. I just got the male em. pea. I won -he is so, so beautiful! Everyone should get them – it’s become one of my favorite colors. But since green and purple are my favorite colors I guess that’s to be expected.

Really, if you are thinking of getting an em. peacock dragon go for it – they are so much better in person (dragon?) and I loved the photo. 😀

dragonmedley
        Participant

I got some similar ebay email at one point. The funny think is that I personally don’t have an ebay account; it’s my husband’s. So they’re not too bright…

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
          I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

drag0nfeathers
          Participant

Okay so what the heck is schilling anyway?

Got a busted Windstone?
            drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
            *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
            Arc-en-ciel Emperor
            Siphlophis Male Dragon
            Calypso Hatching Empress
            Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
            Tattoo Mother Kirin
            Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
            Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
            Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
            Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
            Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
            Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

I’ve gotten similar fake “account suspended” emails for Paypal and Bank of America — and I don’t even have an account at BofA!

I think it is when you bid on something just to drive up the price.

lamortefille
            Participant

From Ebay:

Shill Bidding is bidding that artificially increases an item’s price or apparent desirability, or bidding by individuals with a level of access to the seller’s item information not available to the general Community. Shill Bidding is prohibited on eBay.

Because family members, roommates and employees of sellers have a level of access to item information which is not available to the general Community, they are not permitted to bid on items offered by the seller – even if their sole intent is to purchase the item. Family members, roommates or employees may purchase items from a seller without violating this policy simply by using purchase options – such as Buy It Now – which do not involve bidding.

SPark
              Participant

Yup, I’ve gotten TONS of those from paypal.

They’re phishing. They want you to follow the link provided, and try to log in. When you type in your user name and password, their site will capture it, and go and log into ebay, or paypal, or whatever, as you and use your account.

Pegasi1978
                Participant

I never believe most of those when I get them because they never have my eBay name or my real name. Whenever I do get one of those fake emails I always forward it on to spoof@ebay.com and/or spoof@paypal.com

True it may not do much, but it at least gets reported so maybe they get shut down eventually.

I sometimes do that too…though most of the time I just add them to my spam list and delete them. I guess some people actually fall for the phishing, otherwise they wouldn’t keep doing it…

SPark
                  Participant

Yeah, a lot of people just aren’t aware of the possible danger, so when they see a notice like that, they just take it at face value.

My mom, for example… she’s never been phished, she at least knows better than that, but she clicked on one of those “get X thing totally free!” banner adds, and ended up going through half the forms and offerns and everything before realizing that it was just spam, that they weren’t going to give her anything free unless she bought something else.

drag0nfeathers
                    Participant

Oh, I’ve never even heard of that! Well, I have, but I never knew what it was called.

Got a busted Windstone?
                      drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                      *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                      Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                      Siphlophis Male Dragon
                      Calypso Hatching Empress
                      Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                      Tattoo Mother Kirin
                      Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                      Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                      Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                      Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                      Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                      Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.