fbpx

Eyestrain Prevention

Home Forums Miscellany Community Eyestrain Prevention

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Awhile back we discussed in this thread how to help reduce eyestrain, which might lead to vision degradation. Since many of us on the forum are in front of the computer screen or do other close work (painting, etc.) a lot, I thought I’d start this thread to share ideas on how to reduce eyestrain. Feel free to add your ideas to this thread!

Here are some things that I’ve found to be helpful:

1) Use a timer set to 30 min. to remind yourself to focus on something far away for a minute when you’re painting, in front of the computer, etc. If you’re in front of the computer, you can use a timer program like this one, which can be downloaded for free (that’s the one that I’m using).

2) Make sure that your computer monitor is at least an arm’s length away and that the brightness/contrast of the monitor are set at comfortable levels. The surrounding light should also be adjusted appropriately so that there is no glare on the computer screen.

3) Use a magnifier of some sort for close work. There are many different types of magnifiers, and quite a few are listed on this website.

For those who are interested, here’s some of the discussion from the previous thread:

mimitrek wrote:

Nambroth wrote:

mimitrek wrote:

Nambroth wrote:

My eyesight has gotten worse sadly! Every time I see the eye doctor (1x/year) my perscription gets stronger. Augh. I’m only 25, I’ll be blind by age 35 at this rate!

Anyhow all went well and I’m okay, just some eye strain and increasingly bad eyesight. Eeek.
    I was wondering, when you’re painting or doing work on the computer, do you try to take a break every 20-30 min. to look around and focus your eyes for a minute on something ~20 feet away? If not, doing so might help with the eyestrain (and possibly the vision degradation) by relaxing the accommodation muscles in your eyes.

I became aware of this issue recently because, during the past few months, I’ve been working on the computer for long stretches a lot more than usual, and I found myself getting eyestrain and having trouble focusing my eyes on things which were far away. But after I started doing the exercise I mentioned, the problems went away.
    Thanks, I’ll try that! I think my other problem is that even when not using the computer, I’m usually painting. Tiny feather details, 1-2′ from my face, and I tend to focus on that for long, long stretches of time. Looking out the window every so often will help! Thanks! πŸ™‚
    You’re welcome! Wow, if you’re viewing things at just 1-2″ away for long periods, I can really see how that would cause eyestrain. And it seems like if you view things at that close a range, it might deform the lens of your eye over time, since the lens is getting compressed so much — and the accommodation muscles must be getting strained too. Of course, that’s just a guess since I’m not expert on eyes.

Have you thought about using any of the magnifiers listed on this website? It looks like they have many different types, ranging from ones which are worn to ones which are on a stand. I think those would allow you to view the things that you’re painting at a more normal range and hopefully help save your eyes. πŸ™‚

Maria
    Participant

Thanks, Mimi. I will keep that in mind. I need to take care of my eyes too – my next contact prescription will already have to be stronger. Again.

Skigod377
      Participant

Good ideas!!! And dont slouch!! πŸ˜‰

Jennifer
        Keymaster

There’s some research that suggests that while slouching isn’t good, neither is sitting up ‘straight’. The best position is slightly leaned back. Tell that to your boss next time you have your feet up… πŸ˜‰

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
          My art: featherdust.com

haha, I will have to remember that.

Maria
          Participant

Nambroth wrote:

There’s some research that suggests that while slouching isn’t good, neither is sitting up ‘straight’. The best position is slightly leaned back. Tell that to your boss next time you have your feet up… πŸ˜‰

Slightly leaned back? What’s slightly? How come they have to make things so complicated? I just compromise and alternate between slouching and sitting straight. πŸ˜†

Starbreeze
            Participant

Works for me πŸ˜‰

dragonmedley
              Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Nambroth wrote:

Slightly leaned back? What’s slightly? How come they have to make things so complicated? I just compromise and alternate between slouching and sitting straight. πŸ˜†

I remember reading about this recently. Don’t know where, though. I think the angle is 110 or 115 degrees. The 90 degree angle is very hard on the lumbar spine. So until we can get back rests that tilt back nicely, I just curl my hips in a bit and slide down a few inches. That way, the lower back isn’t at 90 degrees. Heck, just have fun sliding up and down your chair!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Starbreeze
                Participant

πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Anonymous

Get an uglier girlfriend, that helps reduce strain in more places than just the eyes. πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Maria
                    Participant

πŸ˜†

Medley – 110 or 115 degrees? Like I’ll be measuring my angle everytime I sit down. πŸ™„ I’ll go for the sliding strategy. πŸ˜†

Anonymous

dragonmedley wrote:

Don’t know where, though. I think the angle is 110 or 115 degrees. The 90 degree angle is very hard on the lumbar spine. So until we can get back rests that tilt back nicely, I just curl my hips in a bit and slide down a few inches. That way, the lower back isn’t at 90 degrees. Heck, just have fun sliding up and down your chair!

I think I sit around 160 degrees. It’s quite … interesting.

Skigod377
                        Participant

You guys are silly. Every single one of you.

dragonmedley
                          Participant

Yeah, if you can’t be silly, life’s boring πŸ˜€

I did a quick search, and it’s 135 degrees.

http://medgadget.com/archives/2006/11/aching_back_don.html

I think I’ll just keep sliding up and down my chair for now.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                            http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                            I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                            http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.