fbpx

Ebay Male Repaint

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Ebay Male Repaint

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

darjeb wrote:

If the store was a Windstone Dealer I wonder what Melody did? She should have fired them as a dealer or at the very least given them a very serious warning not to do it again.

It wasn’t the store that did the repaint; they bought them thinking they were genuine. The store is still around, but they don’t have any Windstones. I don’t know if they were a dealer at the time, though.

My understanding is that someone had a collection of White Dragons and wanted red ones, which were not manufactured at the time, so either repainted the white ones themselves, or had them repainted. The Dragons later ended up being bought by a dealer in an estate sale, where they were assumed to be genuine. An “escaped the factory” story was presumably concocted at some point as being a possible, or at least commercially viable, story of their origin.

But I have heard from other people who have seen red Windstone Dragons that were not as nicely painted as the one in this eBay auction – you know, flat red car spray paint type of “not as nicely painted” – so there were a number of people desperate enough for red dragons that they went ahead and did something about it. However, I’ve not heard of a dealer doing this themselves.

Strange that someone would wreck a perfectly nice white dragon for that (not that I particularly care for the whites, but it’s better, in my opinion, then that red).

Desperation makes people do stupid things, I guess. ๐Ÿ™„

Dragon87 wrote:

Strange that someone would wreck a perfectly nice white dragon for that (not that I particularly care for the whites, but it’s better, in my opinion, then that red).

Desperation makes people do stupid things, I guess.
    I can understand it. I don’t paint myself, but a lot of my gaming customers do. I sell a whole heck of a lot of tiny pots of acrylic paint. And I often hear of someone buying a collection of miniatures from a friend, already painted, often painted well, that will either get stripped and re-painted, or just get re-painted, to look as the new owner wants.

If there is a great looking Dragon available, that is just absolutely the wrong color, and you fancy yourself with a paintbrush, you’re not destroying something by repainting it; you’re making it your own. I don’t see that as being per se stupid; upsetting though it may be to a purist to learn of it having happened.

Katherine
    Participant

Icky.

Leigha
      Participant

I like this red color. The eyes pop nicely too.

Then again…I like weird things sometimes. This might be one of those times.

And she’s very honest in her description, which makes things a whole lot easier ๐Ÿ™‚

The Castle [Dave wrote:

“]

Dragon87 wrote:

Desperation makes people do stupid things, I guess.
        I can understand it. I don’t paint myself, but a lot of my gaming customers do. I sell a whole heck of a lot of tiny pots of acrylic paint. And I often hear of someone buying a collection of miniatures from a friend, already painted, often painted well, that will either get stripped and re-painted, or just get re-painted, to look as the new owner wants.

If there is a great looking Dragon available, that is just absolutely the wrong color, and you fancy yourself with a paintbrush, you’re not destroying something by repainting it; you’re making it your own. I don’t see that as being per se stupid; upsetting though it may be to a purist to learn of it having happened.

I would probably consider myself more in the purist category. I like to flex my artistic muscle in the PYO stuff… then I get the stuff I want without having to paint over something.

Kujacker
        Participant

If something is broken and repainted, to me that’s one thing. But buying a highly expensive sculpture just to paint over it… I don’t get it.

PurpleTurtle
          Participant

What a waste ๐Ÿ™ . I’m not a big fan of the white dragons but the fact they are so rare now makes a repaint seem silly and a little numb. I suppose at the time the person who decided to repaint the dragon didn’t think about it’s potiental rareness, it was’nt an issue, but still…

I wouldn’t think of re-painting an expensive item like that. (At least the paint job isn’t that bad. I have seen worse.)

Leigha
            Participant

well, even though it is an expensive item to begin with, the person who repainted it made a pretty hefty profit according to the eBay seller. If she payed 250 for it, originally thinking it was genuine, then it was worth repainting the 100 dollar sculpture.

Stephanie
              Participant

To each their own, I suppose. I still really like him. ๐Ÿ˜€

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.