fbpx

East or West?

Home Forums Miscellany Community East or West?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    twindragonsmum
    Participant

Must admit that I learned to love our corner of Washington State when we lived there. Roddy’s first engineering right out of college job was out at the Hanford Site. We lived in the Tri-Cities on the convergence of the Snake, Yakima and Columbia Rivers. That’s where I learned to drive in the snow and learned that even tumbleweeds can be pretty before they turn brown and blow away. I also learned about Chinook’s, fed my antique passions and graduated from Uni there…

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€

tdm

Bob

How can you deal with all the snow up that far north though? You can’t ride a 2 wheel motorcycle in the snow

Copper83
        Participant

It depends on where you live DM. Where I’m at, we don’t get much snow. Some years we don’t get any and I’m further north than the Tri-Cities.

Heather
          Participant

I miss my SoCal desert so much. Moving up to Sac was necessary and has been a positive experience, but its appeal lies in “human things” more than natural: convenient stores, more jobs, swimming pools, restaurants. One of these days I’m going back to my happy place of sand and restless wind, with its cactus, creosote bush, zebratail lizards, red boulders on the canyon walls, and stars at night so brilliant you don’t even need a flashlight. Sharing all of this with critters like rattlesnakes, scorpions, and those dagblasted skittering fangfaced sun spiders . . . well, I don’t love them, but it’s still worth it.

pipsxlch
            Participant

I’ve got to put in a plug for Florida, though I think you’re right- where you live (or where oyou grow up) plays a big part in what yuo find ‘right’. I’m not too experienced; other than my high school years in Maine and just over a year in Alabama, I’ve always lived in Florida. Yes, it’s hot. Been triple digits or close to this week, with humidity to match. But for me, heat’s much much easier to deal with than the cold. Probably because that’s what I grew up with in Fort Lauderdale. I like being within a few hours drive of my choice of beaches on either the Atlantic or Gulf coasts- I admit I’m not fond of the area I’m in now, but hope to be able to move eventually, and that’s just this inland wannabe city i’m in. I like the oceans being something you can get into without frostbite like Maine was. I like being able to grow my orchids outside without a greenhouse or anything, and being able to ride a motorcycle comfortably all year round. I like the summer storms, and smelling the rain. (don’t think I could handle living in a desert *shudder* plus dry air gives me headaches and nosebleeds)
              I was near Birmingham in Alabama; there were mountains and it was beautiful, but it was much too far from an ocean. The winters were just overcast and dreary, felt like you had mold falling out of your ears. It was too cold to leave stuff outside, but not cold enough for much snow and skiing. Besides, there were dead animals everywhere along the roadsides, just left to rot until they became one with the ground. Now there’s just something wrong with people who let that happen to animals and don’t even care. (sorry to anyone from AL, but that is how it was to me)
              Maine was sooo beautiful, if I could afford a second home that’s where it would be. And I appreciate the independance and live-and-let-live of the people, something those here could learn from. Mountains were unimaginable to a flatlander girl.:) The wild rocky coast sort of put everything into perspective mentally- Florida’s sandy beaches are just so tame in comparison. I have seen nothing as beautiful as Maine in later May (after mud season) and June- the greens are unparalleled. But it seems that 9 months of the year were just too cold!
              I’ve never been to the west coast other than flying into LA to catch a cruise once. The sky even looked dirty, and all the people seemed to be pissed off. I doubt that’s an accurate picture of the whole coast.
              LOL @ Twinsdragonsmum- yeah, when I lived in Cocoa Beach I used to love seeing the tour buses come on with loads from the midwest and plains states. They would pile out of the bus and stand in frightened little huddles staring at the ocean. Totally overwhelmed them. πŸ˜†
              My husband was stationed in Hawaii for a time- he loved it and wants to return. I think I’d be happy there.

If you could have 2 homes, where would your second be?

Bob

I plan to get to Australia one day and think that would be one of the places I would LOVE to live

WindstoneCollector wrote:

Ok, just a question I was asking myself a while back. I thought it would be interesting to know how others felt about it…
                If you had a choice between living on the East Coast, or the West Coast, which would you prefer? It can be Southern or Northern too.
                I have been to Florida and Georgia, and South Carolina. I was asleep when Mom went through Mississippi and Louisiana, so I don’t remember that part. LOL I have NEVER been to the West Coast. I have always wanted to see Oregon, and Washington, but where my heart really wants to go is Cali. But, I couldn’t say for sure that I really want to go there, if I have never been there. What is the weather like there? 😳
                Just something that has been on my mind for a while…Figured if I posted it, maybe it would leave me alone then! πŸ˜†

I went to Cali this year. It was so beautiful.. πŸ˜€ I have been to Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Colorado, Arkansas, and I live in Mississippi. Out of all the places I have been I love Cali the most, second is Colorado. The West is beautiful and Cali has a lot of opportunity. If you want pictures of Northern Cali let me know I think I would share some of mine… BTW.. I was there for 8 days and I took about 5,000 pictures.. Not picture happy much.. πŸ˜‰ I have some pictures of Colorado as well..

Jennifer
                Keymaster

Dragon Master wrote:

How can you deal with all the snow up that far north though? You can’t ride a 2 wheel motorcycle in the snow

Winters are bad enough here that motorcycles and trikes are seasonal vehicles. Definitely a ‘for fun’ ride in the summer and not a reliable mode of transport otherwise.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                  My art: featherdust.com

Jennifer wrote:

Dragon Master wrote:

Winters are bad enough here that motorcycles and trikes are seasonal vehicles. Definitely a ‘for fun’ ride in the summer and not a reliable mode of transport otherwise.
                  In Northern Illinois we have some pretty die hard bikers. They will ride in rain that is coming in sideways, and slush if it is warm enough to stand on their skin. Me, a bike ride is something you do on a day that is atleast 70 degrees F. I’m a wuss. 😳

Haha. One more thing to add to west coast: IN & OUT!!! :yum: I just recently had it (double double & chocolate shake) and thought: “THIS is something I should add.” πŸ™‚

siberakh1
                  Participant

WindstoneCollector wrote:

Jennifer wrote:

Dragon Master wrote:

In Northern Illinois we have some pretty die hard bikers. They will ride in rain that is coming in sideways, and slush if it is warm enough to stand on their skin. Me, a bike ride is something you do on a day that is atleast 70 degrees F. I’m a wuss. 😳

That’s what snowmobiles are for. 8)

Bob

That’s what snowmobiles are for. 8)
                      I have never been on a snow mobile yet

twindragonsmum
                      Participant

Never???? You’re missing out, DM! πŸ˜€

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€

tdm

Bob

One day maybe
                          I need to pay all these bills off first

Snowmobiles are a riot! Unless…You fall through a particularly deep drift and have to wait for spring to come thaw the snow so you can take it home. XD

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.