fbpx

Earth Day

Home Forums Miscellany Community Earth Day

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer
    Keymaster

Happy Earth Day, everyone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsjGlKMcEQk

Days like today help to remind us that we need to take care of this ball of rock every day! Remember to do what you can in your average daily routines to help reduce your ecological footprint. You can search google for easy ways! One of the biggest ways is to research where your food comes from… everyone has to eat, and the way our food is produced and ends up on your table has one of the biggest environmental impacts of all, and it’s one we can all make better! πŸ˜€

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
      My art: featherdust.com

Jennifer
      Keymaster

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
        My art: featherdust.com

Bodine
        Participant

:hi: Don’t forget to be good to the EARTH today! How big is your foot-print? πŸ˜€

Every act matters.No matter how smallπŸ’ž
          (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
          Male Hearth....one day🀞Dream on.

Skigod377
          Participant

Happy Earthday everyone! Hug a tree today! πŸ™‚ Anyone doing anything special today? I always make my troops recycle but im thinking of making them do something additional. just have no idea what.

Bodine
            Participant

skigod377 wrote:

Happy Earthday everyone! Hug a tree today! πŸ™‚ Anyone doing anything special today? I always make my troops recycle but im thinking of making them do something additional. just have no idea what.

planting more flowers and another tree,Japanese Cherry Blossom πŸ˜€

Every act matters.No matter how smallπŸ’ž
              (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
              Male Hearth....one day🀞Dream on.

Skigod377
              Participant

bodine6127 wrote:

skigod377 wrote:

planting more flowers and another tree,Japanese Cherry Blossom πŸ˜€
                LOL I wish I could trust a Soldier with a shovel!! Hahaha!

dragonmedley
                Participant

They launched a much-needed initiative today at work: getting rid of all the plastic water bottles and reminding people that tap water is filtered!!! It’s amazing the amount of waste these bottles produce. People got brainwashed over the years. Nothing wrong with tap water; anyway, that’s what’s in the bottles most of the time…

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                  http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                  I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                  http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

We took out our recycling. And then I tried to kill the earth by dumping copious quantities of methanol down the drain… in an environmental lab. πŸ™„ But when there’s no organic waste bottle, and talking to the profs about getting one didn’t go over so well….

And I put my coffee in a reuseable mug. πŸ˜€ But I do that everyday. For one, it tastes better when it’s not from a paper cup.

And I agree with the water bottle thing. I mean, do you know what they do to water to make it drinkable? It’s not more drinkable because it’s in a bottle. And the bottle is just wasteful (I like that Edmonton is/was considering banning buying bottled water within city limits! I just don’t know what came of it). πŸ˜•

They banned plastic shopping bags here, as of 2010, no more shopping bags!!

I dont buy water in bottles either, I use the same 3 bottles that i have been using for 3 years, I just rotate through them. I really hope that they do ban bottled water, it has been proven that tap water is actually cleaner than bottled water because treatment plants have to test wayyy more often than bottling plants.

Recyclables get donated to the SPCA here.

siberakh1
                  Participant

I didn’t do anything special other than just sewing today (and finding I may have to totally sew a costume over from scratch, thanks to a nice stain I found… πŸ™„ … at least it’s not one of the complex ones and should only take a day to do, now that I’ve made it once). I can reuse it though as regular clothing, so I want it done correctly. I did help sort the recycling today though. We don’t buy regular bottled water, but we do not drink our tap water. With the warmer weather, I’ll probably start bringing my nalgene and putting lemonade and fruit packets from koolaid or the like instead though.

Depending on where you are, tap water isn’t always good. My brother has sulfur water. He has a newer water filter now, so his clothes no longer smell of sulfur. I can taste it a bit in the water still, but I’m really sensitive to taste and smell. We no longer drink our tap water. The village I live in changed the water source about 18 months ago. We used to have fantastic water (some of the best I’ve tasted in my travels, and people used to remark on it), but they were told we couldn’t have an open water source (a terrorist might come and try to contaminate our tiny little village in the middle of upstate/northern NY… but yet Saratoga Springs has Loughberry Lake, which is large and perfectly safe.. πŸ‘Ώ :nea: :scratch: ). The new water source is absolutely horrible. To ‘adjust’ the water to be better, they over chlorinate it, you can taste the manganese and other minerals in it. My dogs didn’t want to drink it, and I’ve heard of other village residents who had pets who were like, what is THIS? So, we got a water cooler and got enough containers. We now go over to one of the natural springs in Saratoga Springs and fill them up for our drinking water. You have to love small town gov’t bowing to studies without having the brains to asking questions. Until we can either get all the pipes replaced (my house is over 230 years old, so most of the pipes are old and rusting…. much of the village is in the same boat. We’ve had so many pipes break in the village because they decided to not regulate the pressure, which is now far more than double what the old pipes had to deal with, plus the water source is in the opposite direction, so the force is coming from the other side. We’ve changed to having to be careful with washing clothing, so we don’t get too much buildup of minerals in the water, so we can’t wash in hot water (sometimes you really need to for tough stains), because the water will turn brown and stain clothing. This has caused problems from the local motel and bed and breakfast. I think they now send their stuff out to be washed because of it.

We buy locally for some of our food, especially in the warmer months with the nearby farm stands and farmers markets in abundance (we do have some things that we save and chop up and store in the freezer for the winter, like peppers and tomatoes (for sauces and my stir-fry nights). While I don’t drink milk, our milk and eggs are all local and is produced locally, including the ice cream (Stewart’s shops). The milk is also free of hormones and voted best in NYS again :). We never really did the instant dinner thing and buy in larger quantities, with a well stocked pantry. When the weather is right, we’ll set up the garden again (cucumbers, radishes and tomatoes!). I guess I kill things with my 2 hours daily commute, but I have a newer Camry, so the mileage is decent and I keep it well tuned. Can’t work from home and I have no plans to move any time soon for various reasons. A decent job is a decent job. :shrug:

drag0nfeathers
                    Participant

I had to work most of the day today, but I did drop bottles off at the redemption center, but I do that about every other week any way. 😳

… and I spent most of my lunch watching the news about the craigslist killer :puke: I hope he likes his new buddies in PRISON! I’m sure they’re going to think he’s awful cute! πŸ‘Ώ

Have any of you seen or heard about that pshyco? I don’t know if it’s just a local thing, but by now it’s probably all over the news everywhere!

Got a busted Windstone?
                      drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                      *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                      Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                      Siphlophis Male Dragon
                      Calypso Hatching Empress
                      Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                      Tattoo Mother Kirin
                      Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                      Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                      Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                      Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                      Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                      Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

bayoudragon
                      Participant

Reusable shopping bags!

Both paper and plastic are awful! http://www.reusablebags.com/facts.php?id=7

Lokie
                        Participant

bayoudragon wrote:

Reusable shopping bags!

Both paper and plastic are awful! http://www.reusablebags.com/facts.php?id=7
                          My mom bought close to a hundred of them and gave them to all us kids as gifts. I love them, but I do occasionally keep some shopping plastic and paper bags on hand; the plastic ones as emergency trash bags and the paper ones to put my paper/cardboard recycling in.

We havent had paper shopping bags here for years, we will have to invest in way more of the reusable ones, but I will end up using more plastic bags as a result. I reuse pretty much every single one I get, unless there are huge holes in it, we use them to get more groceries, dog poo bags and garbage bags, now I will have to buy garbage bags again.

Megan
                          Participant

We dug through all the trashcans on campus and pulled out everything that should have gone in the recycling in the first place. It’s amazing how many people will throw away a newspaper or a plastic bottle when there’s a recycle bin three feet away :shrug:

Also, I planted marigolds πŸ˜€ And finally secured a promise from my family to buy reusable shopping bags. We go through a lot of groceries, and even though I make it a point to take the used plastic bags back to the used bag drop-off it is still better to not use them in the first place.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.