fbpx

dried up paints…

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone dried up paints…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Can you use water to revive acrylic paints on the palette once they’re kinda dry, or is that bad? How do you save the darn colors? I’ve finally gotten some of the colors I want (after much blending), but when baby wakes up, that’s it for me and it’s a real drag to try to match colors later (or at least it is at this point). Eek!
    On the up side, my girl has 4 colors now (though you can’t really tell) and it’s sooo much fun! 🙂

KoishiiKitty
    Participant

onces your colors have dried, that is it for that batch of paint.
      get a spray bottle, you can spray down the paints real good, put some suranwrap lightly over it and stick it in the fridge. that should keep them good for a few hours.

I always remix my paints..so i leave my pallete out, spray it down..and usualy the paints are ok for about 2 hours. If you are going to be away longer though I would defintately go with sticking it in your fridge..
      but that spray bottle is a must. use it on your pallete while you paint, it will keep your paints nice and fresh.

Yay! Thanks! (Sorry you’re so sick Koishii, and I really hope the surgery works! Thanks for sticking with the forum & PYOs & advice!)

KoishiiKitty
      Participant

boskydragon wrote:

Yay! Thanks! (Sorry you’re so sick Koishii, and I really hope the surgery works! Thanks for sticking with the forum & PYOs & advice!)

lol, thanx. I’m going to try sticking around here as much as I can. feel free to ask if you run into anything else, every one here loves to help.

SPark
        Participant

I went a got a set of cheap little plastic paint pots. They were actually a kid’s painting set, the kind that comes in a strip, usually with a cheap brush included, and a paint by numbers picture. I just washed them out, threw away the picture, and used them to mix paints in. That way I just close the lid and the color is saved!

SPark wrote:

I went a got a set of cheap little plastic paint pots. They were actually a kid’s painting set, the kind that comes in a strip, usually with a cheap brush included, and a paint by numbers picture. I just washed them out, threw away the picture, and used them to mix paints in. That way I just close the lid and the color is saved!

That is a good idea. I have some tupperware that I was going to try.

KoishiiKitty
          Participant

SPark wrote:

oh yes! now i like that idea too!!!! i’ll have to try that.

siberakh1
            Participant

Saran wrap and plastic containers with lids work. I’ve managed to keep some paints for a few days that way. Some art stores even carry palettes that come with plastic lids, but then are cheap and, at least for me, the lids end up breaking. Maybe a separated tupperware container (like for filling and reheating a dinner in)? Cheap, good, and easy to clean.

dragonmedley
              Participant

I remember a while back (like, really, really back) someone had posted a trick to keep the paint dry. It was on a plastic tray, with wet towel paper or something… Maybe it was on the livejournal community…

Maybe the magicians among us can track it back. I suck at that!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

I just cover my paint tray with saran wrap, no water added and I’ve gone as long as a week and still had wet paint. As long as the surface the paint is resting on is non porous, it should work pretty well.

Kyrin

Elena
                Participant

I’ve used those tiny Gladware containers and added a bit of water to the paints before I put them away, but it only lasts a couple of days. Oh and beware trying to keep them longer!! Some paints can actually mold if left to long either in little pots or thier bottles 😯 (discovered this the hard way)

I use the strip paint pots like spark I find they work really well.

I use the strip method too. But I bought it at Dick Blick’s for a couple bucks. It has 6 wells and also comes with screw on caps. They will hold about half of a bottle of Folk Art paint. They are great for mixing too. If you tip your container so that the cap edges are covered with the paint and it dries in the crack then the paint inside does not dry out as fast. I found that out in 8th grade art. It forms a seal of itself. 😀

I found these little plactic paint plates. They are round with little depressions in them. Like the ones we used in art class in grade school. They come with 1 cover that fits over the dish. These work really well for me….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.