fbpx

Don't you just hate it when…

Home Forums Miscellany Community Don't you just hate it when…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

You go to a local store and while you’re there the Humane Society is too, and then you end up with a new family member? 😀

Yes, Saturday I was at the local Farm and Fleet with Scott, and there was Jake. Mind you Jake isn’t your normal housepet. And he likes furniture. 😮
    Jake is a 7 yr old Rotwieler and German Shephard mix. He weighs in at just over 135 lbs and his back come up to the upper part of my thigh. I am 5’7″.
    He came home with us yesterday. The pics on the website of him don’t show how chubby this guy got either. No excercise will do that.
    I do have one tidbit of info that I find hard to swallow…They say he was only there 3 weeks. I find it hard to believe a dog can put on 35 lbs in 3 weeks. So, it is off for a trip to the vet to check him all over. He’s just gonna love me. *rolls eyes*
    I have to give this dog a hand though (at $40, he should be getting a big hand. 😀 )…He got home at a little after 5pm yesterday (He barely fit into the backseat of the GrandAm with me, me sitting sorta sideways and his butt on my lap. LOL)and got aobut 15 minutes to adjust to a new place before he was attacked by 4 or 5 pre-teens and teenagers, and scratched, patted, petted, rubbed all over. He was so tired he slept all night. 🙂 But, he put up with the kids and without one growl or sound of protest, he groaned alot, but it was those good “pet me” groans.
    He originally belonged to an elderly person, I am guessing a guy since he is partial to Scott and Glen, but still is affable with me. Then when they couldn’t take care of him anymore, he moved into a house with some of the person’s kids, and Grandkids. Times got hard for the family he moved in with and he went to the Humane Society. And while many people came over to him in the store, no one filled out an ap to take him home. Big dogs seem to have a hard time if they aren’t full blooded something or other around here (Mostly rotties and dobies, etc.) and Jake is a horse. The kids have started calling him Tank. He is so laid back, and doesn’t bark at everything, he is trained well for house living, and actually only barks when he really needs to go outside. *Good boy*
    Now, the cats are mostly fine with him, except ofcourse Charlie, who is still weird around Megan and she is his size.
    Eventually I will post pics, but right now, I gotta starte packing boxes and get ready for work! 🙂

I love big dogs. And mixes often make the best family additions. Even though I’d love to have an Akita I wouldn’t give up Alf (Akita Chow)for anything, ever. Looking forward to pics 😀

Jodi
    Participant

Congrats! He sounds like a love. It’s so good of you to take him in.

Jasmine
      Participant

Congrats to you and Jake. I love big dogs!!

Mmloda
        Participant

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh….Congrats…that is sweet, I love large breed dogs…do you have nay pics of him yet…? I would love to see him… 😉

Marzena

He sounds like a sweetheart. 🙂 (This is why I don’t go to places that have humane societies. Kimi’s enough work!)

Maria
          Participant

Photos, WSC! He sounds like a nice dog.

Plus mixes tend to have fewer medical problems. I have retriever mixes and they don’t have any of the skin or hip problems that breed is prone to. And you don’t have to housebreak them like a puppy!

I thought you still had to train a mix…. or are the mixed breeds easier? Sorry the comment confused me… kinda…

Jodi
            Participant

Dragon87 wrote:

I thought you still had to train a mix…. or are the mixed breeds easier? Sorry the comment confused me… kinda…

You do, but he’s seven. I think he’s already trained.

He sounds like a great dog. I’d love to see pictures.

I don’t have a problem with going to the humane society. Yes I’ve wanted to take home many pets from them (my heart always belongs to the dandruff covered dobis) but, the pets around here cost so much that it’s highly doubtful I’ll ever leave with one.

For example adopting a cat here costs almost $200 by the time you add on all the little stupid fees they put on them. I can go to a cat rescue and get a neutered cat for $110 with no fees.

darjeb
              Participant

Jake sounds like a real jewel. I love big dogs as you know I have a large Chow Chow named Tristen. One of my friends has a Yorkie that jumps all over you and barks all the time – give me a big dog anytime I think they are calmer

darjeb wrote:

Jake sounds like a real jewel. I love big dogs as you know I have a large Chow Chow named Tristen. One of my friends has a Yorkie that jumps all over you and barks all the time – give me a big dog anytime I think they are calmer

Our neighbors on one side have a pack of Chihuahuas and the neighbors on the other side have Dachshunds.
                They get through our fence, which keeps our dogs in, and than the neighbors get upset if their dogs get hurt in our yard
                🙄

Setsunawolf
                Participant

congrats on the new family member. 🙂

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                  Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                  Sun Dragon Koi #3

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.