fbpx

Does this happen to you??

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Does this happen to you??

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Lokie
    Participant

skigod377 wrote:

Our colors are not copywritten… you can copy them without getting in legal trouble as fas as I know,

I’m not sure if that is entirely accurate but I’m not really knowledgable on the subject. I know we don’t have copyrights, but aren’t our unique color scheme’s protected? If it wasn’t, someone could come in and duplicate someone’s work exactly, and possibly profit from it. There must be some protection for artists who haven’t had the money or knowlegdge to copyright their color schemes yet.

Andrea
      Participant

And you painted a wolf like mine?? 😀 I wanna see!! 😀

LOL, the color scheme was like yours, but the painting definately wasn’t!

SPark
        Participant

Well, technically anything you create is copyrighted from the momenty you create it.

But really, very seldom do any of us come up with something unique enough to be instandly recognizable, and yet simple enough that somebody else could copy it exactly. I could paint tabby griffins all day, but I’d never look like Arlla, you know? And even if I tried, she can’t copyright tabbies, because they’re a real animal. If I had a tabby griff that looked like hers, who’s to say I wasn’t looking at a real cat?

Lokie
          Participant

SPark wrote:

Well, technically anything you create is copyrighted from the momenty you create it.

But really, very seldom do any of us come up with something unique enough to be instandly recognizable, and yet simple enough that somebody else could copy it exactly. I could paint tabby griffins all day, but I’d never look like Arlla, you know? And even if I tried, she can’t copyright tabbies, because they’re a real animal. If I had a tabby griff that looked like hers, who’s to say I wasn’t looking at a real cat?

I’m glad to hear that an artist’s work is copyrighted and protected without needing to do anything special and I agree that not everyone will be successful at making pieces looking identical.
            Some people here paint tabby stripes and bird markings on their Gryphons (which can’t be copyrighted and are common in nature), but not everyone does. I can think of a few pieces painted by Windstone Forum members that have very unique looking paint schemes. There aren’t many, but there are still some. They should be protected just as Windstone protects their color schemes since you never know what they might decide to do with it in the future.

SPark
            Participant

This is true.

There’s also the matter of coincidence though. Some things, like say the recent white griffin with black goth-ish markings, have a sort of generic artistic background. (I can’t recall now who did it.) That griff is really distinctive, and yet it would be possible for somebody to make one very similar to it, just by accident, without every having seen it.

It’s a really complicated issue, honestly.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.