fbpx

Do you recycle?

Home Forums Miscellany Community Do you recycle?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Elena
    Participant

Just my own curiosity here. I just finished collapsing and straightening and bunch of boxes and packing materials from various purchases and wondered.

Who here recycles thier packing materials?

My answer: I recycle the cardboard and any newsprint/paper. Tissue paper I tend to keep cause I use it for work and crafts. I did discover that I can’t recycle the styrofoam peanuts or pieces and the bubble wrap 😥 . And I can’t recycle them by useing cause I don’t send things out that often.

Just a random thought 💡

Elena
      Participant

Purplecat
        Participant

We take old cardboard cans (like hot cocoa) and spraypaint them, then paint doors, windows, trellis and other stuff on them to make “duck houses”. I’ve made odd toys out of the wierdest things. I guess it comes from homeschooling, teaching to be creative. The recycling resources in my area arent so great so we improvise by reusing when we can. Duck houses are great airbrush practice too. We call them duck houses cause they’re perfect for the little rubber ducks oriental trading sells.

I’m a terrible pack rat, so I save almost all packing materials that I get. I have big stacks of flattened boxes and bubblewrap, and big sacks of styrofoam peanuts. 🙂

However, any newspaper gets recycled, as well as any boxes that aren’t worth keeping.

Starbreeze
          Participant

As far as packing materials, I break down the boxes and recycle them, recycle newspaper and save some of the peanuts for my own shipping. I also recycle plastic bags, plastic containers and cans.

dragonmedley
            Participant

I can recycle everything, box and peanuts. I keep a few boxes with packing materials (you know, just in case), but I had to do a clean up.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
              http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
              I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
              http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

SPark
              Participant

I personally recycle all my boxes and packing materials, I send out way more than I get in!

I also stuff a lot of things in the recycle bin. We actually generate more recycling than garbage, at least by volume if not by weight. (I don’t weigh it, but I take out the recycling twice to every time I take out the trash, and the cans are the same size.) Which on the one hand makes me feel good, but on the other hand, the garbage bins are right next to our apartment, and the recycle bins are on the other side of the apartment complex!

Elena
                Participant

dragonmedley wrote:

I can recycle everything, box and peanuts. I keep a few boxes with packing materials (you know, just in case), but I had to do a clean up.

So you CAN recycle the peanuts!!! I was told that you couldn’t recycle Styrofoam and feel guilty when ever I have to get rid of them.

Jennifer
                  Keymaster

Most of my boxes get recycled by me re-using them to ship stuff out!

We live out in the country so we don’t have recycling pick up (or trash for that matter, we have to pay a company to do it). So once a week we take all our recycle-able items to the county recycling center, a good 45 minutes away. A family of 5 creates a lot of recycling- we have THREE full size garbage cans that are full of plastics, metals, and glass by the end of the week. And an entire bin of paper goods. Imagine if all that went to the dump! There is only 1/2 can of actual garbage for trash pick up when we do this (and most of it is biodegradable, such as food waste).
                    Recycling is not a eco-friendly as we sometimes think (some of the recycling processes are not very clean) but it’s better than the alternative, to us.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                    My art: featherdust.com

laphon1
                    Participant

We have twice a month recycling pick up and in summer weekly yard waste p/u. The rest of the year has either once or twice monthly yard waste p/u. I recycle all my boxes, cans, glass and yard waste and give the peanuts to the local pack and ship just up the hill from me. They can re-use them and it helps them hold the line on costs.

Lokie
                      Participant

I usually keep most of my packing materials and boxes (which I break down to save on room) in case I ever need to ship something.

I’ve been recycling everything else for years, however, in my city, they just started making recycling mandatory. The trash men won’t pick up your garbage if they don’t see a recycling bin with it.

I recycle all of teh the good boxes and packing materials and newspapers by re-shipping everything. The bad boxes I use for garbage. I pick a room, and just go nuts. I’m a huge clutter bug/pack rat, so esp when my Breyer order comes in, and they come in HUGE caes I will never again use, I pick one day a week, grab a giant box, and throw away papers and whatnots.

While we do have recylcing, and we are required to do it, I have called, and they refuse to give me a recyle trash can. our trash people are tards though. I had to call and complain today because they completley missed our trash, then the neighbor cats got into it and spread it everywhere. So, they had to come by again and pick it up.

Maria
                        Participant

We recycle everything. The Swiss are the world champs in recycling. We collect papers and cardboard – separately – and take them to the recycling place ever few weeks. Cans and PET – is recyclable plastic called PET over there? – get recycled too. And I can reuse peanuts on PYO shipments.

As much material as I can! I was sooooo excited a few weeks ago when they started a Green Bin program that will take the meat and other biodegradables that I can’t take to the compost bin because they’ll attract animals, they even take used cat litter!! LOL We recycle boxes and anything paper-product, as well as the recyclable plastic products (mostly bottles and some kinds of packaging) and I save bubblewrap and peanuts to reuse later ^_^

Skigod377
                          Participant

Here in Germany, recycling is the LAW! Everything is recycled. Its great, but other Americans are not so good at it. They cant even seem to lift a trash bag up to put it in the garbage. They will just set it on the ground next to the bin 😕

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.