Do you love it for the sculpt or the colour?

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Do you love it for the sculpt or the colour?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Nightcrow
    Participant

Interesting!

I pretty much have to love both, or at least love one and not mind the other. With a limited budget (and limited display space), I rarely buy pieces if they’re not one of sculpts I already know I like, and definitely not if they’re a color I’m not enthralled by.

I’m pretty strongly drawn toward more old-school, single-color paintjobs, and usually I prefer cool colors, so that helps screen out a lot of things right there. 🙂 The two-tone look just isn’t for me, which my wallet appreciates though my heart sometimes regrets. (There have been things I *want* to love, but just couldn’t find them to my taste!)

I have one “color collection” – the White color on almost every Western dragon sculpt – and a couple “color must-have” pieces, like the Obsidian Frost OW and Overcast Lap, pieces whose colors are right up my alley and are featured on sculpts I love. I also have a couple of “conga collections” – a sculpt I love, in all the colors I love. (Lots of colors are not featured in my congas, because I don’t like them enough! I’m a selective conga collector rather than a ‘completionist’ conga collector.)

So far I’ve managed to stay away from hoofers, except for my kirin family (**shoves a random PYO unicorn in a closet**), and I haven’t picked up any poads or gargoyles, but every now and then a crack appears in my resolve and suddenly there’s another sculpt I now collect. 🙂 I started with zero Pebbles, and then came the Sitting Red Fox GB and now I have 5 Pebble foxes. I started with 0 Cougars, and then I got two, and now I have six… but I’m trying hard to draw the line and not add any more sculpts, because I’m running out of room! I’d rather concentrate on the ones I love most, and hold out for the colors I love most, so that I can see all of them on a daily basis instead of having some packed away.

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Angelika_Zen
      Participant

Funny how different everyone is….I also have a limited budget with even less space, and I keep adding the least-likely sculptures to my collection! Never thought I would own another OW, until Citrus came along. I never EVER thought I would collect Young Unicorns, and I have one on the way. It’s amazing what the right colours do.

Wanted: "Dragon Fruit" Male Dragon ~ "Fire Berry", "Paradise", "Dragon Fruit", "Tie Dye" ~ The brighter, the better!

Bodine
        Participant

The big ones do take up space but I will find room.lol With my big ones being on shelves it isn’t too bad.Hearth sits by the tv on her Queen’s perch,but I have on each wooden shelf… 3males1scratcher,2r/s,1s/s,3keepers,then… 5mothers and Hatchers,then… the next one holds 3 OWs,a pair of dragon bookends and various smaller dragons.The 3 big wizards sitting about,the hoofers are on their own shelves,all in my living room 😄,then I have cabinets.I cannot stand the thought of them in boxes and I will always find room for more😉 I collect about everything in most colors.I’m a fan of variety.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
          (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
          Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

sherry10151982
          Participant

Tara you HAVE to show me your unicorn when you get it. I really want to see it!!

Nightcrow
            Participant

It’s so true!

And I keep telling myself I’m limiting the sculpts I collect (outside of “everything Western in White”), and then I turn around and three Pebble Fennecs have appeared. “Didn’t I have a rule that I was only going to collect one fox sculpt?” I ask myself in bewilderment. “I’m sure that five Sitting Red Foxes should have been enough foxes for any sensible person.” Then I realize the problem: I am not particularly sensible!

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Bodine
              Participant

Hahaha
                I thought I might get a couple of white unicorns,never complete sets buuuut.. now,there are blacks and whites,complete sets.I doubt many of us intend on just one of something and then…and then…and then…and then!! So easy to lose control and when you have a credit card,OH BOY!! Windstones are like Lays, can’t have just one.
                I love the Hearth,color doesn’t matter,same with unicorns but other dragons are different.Some colors just don’t wear well on some pieces.

Angelika_Zen
                Participant

Ugh RULES! I made some of those for myself… rule #1 No buying gypsum on credit!

Rule #2 No Grab bags if they cost more than $200… you have to hand pick it from the classifieds (200 usd is 260-275 for me)…. unless you like the whole class and would be happy with anything you get.

Rule #3 Stop hoarding your favourite sculpts just because you like the sculpt ( be in love with the colour too)

I have been following rules 1 and 3 😉

Wanted: "Dragon Fruit" Male Dragon ~ "Fire Berry", "Paradise", "Dragon Fruit", "Tie Dye" ~ The brighter, the better!

Angelika_Zen
                  Participant

Does anyone here know this “sensible” ?? What is this strange tongue you speak in?!? Lmao!!!

Angelika_Zen
                    Participant

Ha!Ha! Bodine!!! Dont you have an almost complete family in “old” Brown too?!? Lol!!! And duplicates? I know someone who has doubles and triples in some just because there are slight variations in the paint lol. Melody attracts the most SENSIBLE fans lol!!! I wouldnt change a thing though 😉 why would you if it brings joy?!?

sherry10151982
                      Participant

How do you quote someone in your thread? I’ve been wanting to know for a long time but never asked until now😱

Bodine
                        Participant

Angelica,I do have a bunch of browns but not the bigger one,lap,spectrals,ow,emp,all beyond my funds.lol,and 2brown males because the eyes and one is special to me,😁
                          Sherry,top left corner of post,see,edit/reply/quote,hit quote and it will load up on your post then write.😊

drag0nfeathers
                          Participant

Same here as most folks. It’s a little of both. I am partial to the bigger sculpts so I need to like the scheme because they take up a lot of prime real estate around the house, but the completionist in me wants a whole set of everything in each color (which is why I still have never bought at prismatic spring or tanzanite pieces because then I’ll need them all) >_<

Got a busted Windstone?
                            drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                            *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                            Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                            Siphlophis Male Dragon
                            Calypso Hatching Empress
                            Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                            Tattoo Mother Kirin
                            Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                            Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                            Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                            Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                            Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                            Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Nightcrow
                            Participant

Look at the bar over top of their comment. On the left is their icon; on the right is a “Quote” button. Click that, and it will add their comment as a quote in the reply box for you!

Edited to add: but remember to delete all the smilies in the quote first, or they’ll come out gigantic.

sherry10151982
                              Participant

LOL!! Thank you so very much!!!

whisker hunter west
                                Participant

I sort of have a “hierarchy of needs” that determines how badly I want a piece. In rough order of what makes me “need” it:
                                  (1) Love the Sculpt + Love the Color + Included Significant Meaning – ex. Prismatic Spring dragons <==> memories of family visits to Yellowstone
                                  (2) Sculpt + Color match my main “Family” – my first Windstones were gifts, Western dragons in Rainbow & Emerald Peacock, and I’ve been trying to build a complete “blended” family around those pieces now that I can afford to buy my own
                                  (3) Adore the Sculpt + Love the Color – ex. all the Pebbles in Silver Rainbow Sparkle! and the Leaf Cat Sconce, and Blue Morpho…
                                  (4) Love the Color + Meh on the Sculpt – why I don’t have any hoofers yet, but holey moley some of those grab bags are *so* tempting…
                                  (5) Love the Sculpt + Meh on the Color – why I don’t have any Orientals other than the Cool batch Young Ori GB

…Huh, I’d never sat down and made a priority list before. I guess now I know why my Windstone budget keeps going off the rails, when I’m supposed to be concentrating on the “Family” pieces. I’m supposed to be saving up for an Emperor, and then new GBs and LPs that land in category (1) or (3) come out…

Continuing the family tradition of being obsessed with shiny things.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.