fbpx

Distance and Distractions

Home Forums Miscellany Community Distance and Distractions

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Before I add one more suggestion, I want to tackle a side comment you made (and did you change your avatar too? What’s up with that?): you said for some reason you’re feeling “unmotivated & tired”… have you gone in to see if there is a reason you’re feeling tired? (As in get blood work done) I know it’s easy to blow that off, but it’s more common than you think to have a blood disease (from mosquitoes, etc) or a thyroid problem, (actually the list is endless).
    But, if you are looking for something not physical and yet engaging (and don’t want to try painting a muse, which you should, just for fun), why not try GO. Go is an ancient Chinese board game that was being played at the time the pyramids were being built. It’s more popular in Japan, but has quite a following here now and you can learn the rules & play people online. There are clubs (many online) and you can get a mentor… One philosopher stated that go was 1 of 4 worthwhile pursuits for expanding the mind (among painting, music & calligraphy). It sounds like I’m a rabid go fan, but actually I have a friend who is a rabid go fan and is trying to suck me in, and time is something I DON’T have to kill. πŸ™‚
    If you do get involved in go, be forewarned that you will never be able to advance into the upper ranks, as you have to start at a young age to be able to grasp all the potential strategies involved.

Jodi
    Participant

I got my minor in anthropology. I think it’s very interesting and some of the things you learn about other cultures could add something to your writing. That’s why I took it. I think BiPolarBear had a good suggestion too.

BiPolarBear

I know and I’ve thought about it. Ryan’s told me on many of the sites where he’s worked there were husband and wife couples but its not my passion. Its also something you can’t do without a degree. I have taken a few anthro classes and I did enjoy them, learning about other cultures and customs but still I’m in love and cheating on Ryan with 15-18 century writers and playwrites >_<

Skigod377

^_^ heh, thanks. I really didn’t mean to go into so much detail but it was a great fight and my sentiments exactly. If I’m gonna get beaten, its gotta be by someone really good and not some punk who got lucky and landed a good punch.

Boskydragon

I did change my avatar, the more I looked at my old one the more I didn’t like it. And as for not feeling up to par lately you nailed that one right on the head. I do have a thyroid problem and I have low iron as well, both things I take medication for. I was hit hard by both last year, that’s why its sometimes hard to do ninjitsu training for long periods of time because my chest tightens up and feels like there’s a baby elephant sitting on me. As for that game Go, I shall have to look into it.

TheRedWriter wrote:

Wow, thanks for the suggestions. I’m sorry I haven’t been able to check up on this. I’ve been down in Morgantown taking care of my nephew for a week. I’ll try and catch up with all of your suggestions. There will probaby be severel typos in this so bare with me.

pegasi1978:
      I have the utmost respect and support for our troops and especially army wives. My cousin is in the service and I’ve prayed for the troops and their families since the war began and I’ll continue to do so till the war is done.

Unfortunatly I could not find a job this summer, its the only summer I’ve been unable to find one. The local Steel Mill over the past 4 years has laid off thousands of employees and needless to say that jobs around here and 42 miles surrounding are pretty sparce. Seeing as gas prices the way they are I can’t go more than 50 miles away for work cause I’d be spending more money on gas than I’d be making with the minimum wage jobs I’d have to find. As for school this is the first summer I’ve taken off from summer school and the regular school year in 4 years. I was starting to get burnt out from not taking a break. Oddly enough it was Ryan that suggested that I take a break. Silly me, I listen to him and he goes away πŸ˜›

I do a lot of volunteering at my church and that’s kept me more busy than I thought it would in the past few weeks. And I do write, I’m currently working on my 3rd and 4th novels right now, which I haven’t published because I’m a perfectionist and I edit like crazy before the thought of publishing even enters my mind. I keep myself more busy than I realize but the distance really doesn’t even start to bother me till about the 4th week of him being away. So as of right now I’m alright and when it does begin to drag me down I’ll take on some more things to keep me busy and talk to all of you.

safyre_dream:
      Not exactly, he was a semester away from graduating and then he started doing field work. I knew what I was getting into when I even considered dating him because which was in itself a stretch because at the time I was dead set on not getting into any kind of relationship. It is a very funny story of how we met, not so much funny as cute. But I fell in love with him anyway. And I wouldn’t be able to do this if I didn’t love that oaf. (If any of you would like to know how we met just ask, I’ll gladly tell you)

He has to get a lot of field work in before gradschool because the more field work he does the more it will help him find and get admitted into a good college. There are many forms of anthropology and he’s still weighing his options but whatever he chooses I’ll be behind him 100% because I would never make him choose between being with the one he loves and doing what he loves. I’d hate for him to wake up every day and hate the job he’s doing because he turned down what he loved to do. He said he would drop it all for me too and I told him no, I would never let him do that and if he did I would slap him so hard his clothes would be out of style by the time he’d wake up. I make that clear to him because if he dropped everything for me like that, eventually years down the line when he is so miserable from the job he is doing he’ll regret ever stopping persuing what he loves and eventually that would build to anamosity against me. He says I’m worth it but still, I love him and if it means sacrifices then I’m willing to makes them and go along with them. Road less traveled I guess. There are many anthropology jobs that are stationary too so he may pick one of those, but I’ve always stressed to him to do what he loves.

I’m not catering toward him either, I’m going to school too so when that starts it will keep me busy.

dragonessjade:
      You learn to cope, he’s been traveling like this from a year and a half though I know I don’t have it near as bad as most people it doesn’t make it any easier. Maybe if your bf goes on tour you could go with him. If not, try learning Italian, trust me it’ll keep you busy.

Barrdwing:
      I’ve taken on some housekeeping hurdles but there really aren’t that many. I’ve pretty much taken everything I need to take, in my field and and out side of it. At this point I just want to go and get done with it as soon as possible. I used to have a band a few years back and we were pretty darn good if I say so myself (acustic and electric, etc.), I might just be a tad bias though πŸ˜› I was the song writer and composer for half of the songs and J.R. (pianist) composed the other half, Lynn was on base, and Hale was our drummer. We were doing well till high school finished up and we all scattered to the wind to go to college.

Thanks, I’ll be here and the days that get to me.

Tc_cat333:
      Come to think of it that does sound like a lot of fun. I wonder if we have any glass blowing classes around here. There is an old glass factory in Wheeling, I should go check it out next week.

I’ve taken dancing classes but they were mostly to train me for balance to aid me in my martial arts training.

skigod377:
      I’ve done Karate for years, I’m currently a 3rd degree ninjitsu master, it goes up to six but after the 2nd degree its pretty much just training yourself. I have gotten into kick boxing but its kind of hard to find a good place to train. I’ve always been an active person so its easy to keep myself busy but for some reason lately I’ve just been unmotivated and tired.

One of the best things of being in ninjitsu is playing lazer tag or hide and go seek. Because ninjitsu is all about stealth and being quick on your feet. I’ve taken dance classes to teach myself more balance so I could get to were I am in my ninjitsu, I’ve been in several competitions. Two years ago I was on ESPN because I made it through the preliminaries and I made it to the semi finals before a Kato master finally wipped the floor with me. Sometimes I still feel the blows he gave me. (Kato is using the other oponents strength against them and using your own weight to just toss the oponent around) It was a really good fight though. I wasn’t completely overwhelmed but it was just an honor to fight someone of his caliber. He won in the finals. I still keep in touch with him by e-mail. He’s continued into Japan to continue his training and enter competitions there.

I’m ranting, sorry >_<, when it comes to karate I get a bit carried away, its one of my passions.
      Yeah, we have talked about it and he said he wouldnt want me all the time. I guess he would rather spend more money by flying me in then having me there all the time. Also, he said that it would become like work and I guess in his mind…people aren’t allowed to be with him at work so why would I be there all the time. I think it is because he is afraid of distractions or something like that.

dragonessjade wrote:

TheRedWriter wrote:

Wow, thanks for the suggestions. I’m sorry I haven’t been able to check up on this. I’ve been down in Morgantown taking care of my nephew for a week. I’ll try and catch up with all of your suggestions. There will probaby be severel typos in this so bare with me.

pegasi1978:
      I have the utmost respect and support for our troops and especially army wives. My cousin is in the service and I’ve prayed for the troops and their families since the war began and I’ll continue to do so till the war is done.

Unfortunatly I could not find a job this summer, its the only summer I’ve been unable to find one. The local Steel Mill over the past 4 years has laid off thousands of employees and needless to say that jobs around here and 42 miles surrounding are pretty sparce. Seeing as gas prices the way they are I can’t go more than 50 miles away for work cause I’d be spending more money on gas than I’d be making with the minimum wage jobs I’d have to find. As for school this is the first summer I’ve taken off from summer school and the regular school year in 4 years. I was starting to get burnt out from not taking a break. Oddly enough it was Ryan that suggested that I take a break. Silly me, I listen to him and he goes away πŸ˜›

I do a lot of volunteering at my church and that’s kept me more busy than I thought it would in the past few weeks. And I do write, I’m currently working on my 3rd and 4th novels right now, which I haven’t published because I’m a perfectionist and I edit like crazy before the thought of publishing even enters my mind. I keep myself more busy than I realize but the distance really doesn’t even start to bother me till about the 4th week of him being away. So as of right now I’m alright and when it does begin to drag me down I’ll take on some more things to keep me busy and talk to all of you.

safyre_dream:
      Not exactly, he was a semester away from graduating and then he started doing field work. I knew what I was getting into when I even considered dating him because which was in itself a stretch because at the time I was dead set on not getting into any kind of relationship. It is a very funny story of how we met, not so much funny as cute. But I fell in love with him anyway. And I wouldn’t be able to do this if I didn’t love that oaf. (If any of you would like to know how we met just ask, I’ll gladly tell you)

He has to get a lot of field work in before gradschool because the more field work he does the more it will help him find and get admitted into a good college. There are many forms of anthropology and he’s still weighing his options but whatever he chooses I’ll be behind him 100% because I would never make him choose between being with the one he loves and doing what he loves. I’d hate for him to wake up every day and hate the job he’s doing because he turned down what he loved to do. He said he would drop it all for me too and I told him no, I would never let him do that and if he did I would slap him so hard his clothes would be out of style by the time he’d wake up. I make that clear to him because if he dropped everything for me like that, eventually years down the line when he is so miserable from the job he is doing he’ll regret ever stopping persuing what he loves and eventually that would build to anamosity against me. He says I’m worth it but still, I love him and if it means sacrifices then I’m willing to makes them and go along with them. Road less traveled I guess. There are many anthropology jobs that are stationary too so he may pick one of those, but I’ve always stressed to him to do what he loves.

I’m not catering toward him either, I’m going to school too so when that starts it will keep me busy.

dragonessjade:
      You learn to cope, he’s been traveling like this from a year and a half though I know I don’t have it near as bad as most people it doesn’t make it any easier. Maybe if your bf goes on tour you could go with him. If not, try learning Italian, trust me it’ll keep you busy.

Barrdwing:
      I’ve taken on some housekeeping hurdles but there really aren’t that many. I’ve pretty much taken everything I need to take, in my field and and out side of it. At this point I just want to go and get done with it as soon as possible. I used to have a band a few years back and we were pretty darn good if I say so myself (acustic and electric, etc.), I might just be a tad bias though πŸ˜› I was the song writer and composer for half of the songs and J.R. (pianist) composed the other half, Lynn was on base, and Hale was our drummer. We were doing well till high school finished up and we all scattered to the wind to go to college.

Tc_cat333:
      Come to think of it that does sound like a lot of fun. I wonder if we have any glass blowing classes around here. There is an old glass factory in Wheeling, I should go check it out next week.

I’ve taken dancing classes but they were mostly to train me for balance to aid me in my martial arts training.

skigod377:
      I’ve done Karate for years, I’m currently a 3rd degree ninjitsu master, it goes up to six but after the 2nd degree its pretty much just training yourself. I have gotten into kick boxing but its kind of hard to find a good place to train. I’ve always been an active person so its easy to keep myself busy but for some reason lately I’ve just been unmotivated and tired.

One of the best things of being in ninjitsu is playing lazer tag or hide and go seek. Because ninjitsu is all about stealth and being quick on your feet. I’ve taken dance classes to teach myself more balance so I could get to were I am in my ninjitsu, I’ve been in several competitions. Two years ago I was on ESPN because I made it through the preliminaries and I made it to the semi finals before a Kato master finally wipped the floor with me. Sometimes I still feel the blows he gave me. (Kato is using the other oponents strength against them and using your own weight to just toss the oponent around) It was a really good fight though. I wasn’t completely overwhelmed but it was just an honor to fight someone of his caliber. He won in the finals. I still keep in touch with him by e-mail. He’s continued into Japan to continue his training and enter competitions there.

I’m ranting, sorry >_<, when it comes to karate I get a bit carried away, its one of my passions.
      Yeah, we have talked about it and he said he wouldnt want me all the time. I guess he would rather spend more money by flying me in then having me there all the time. Also, he said that it would become like work and I guess in his mind…people aren’t allowed to be with him at work so why would I be there all the time. I think it is because he is afraid of distractions or something like that.

He’ll say that now but if he does go on tour if he’s anything like Ryan and most men I’ve dated, after a long day, he’s going to want to come home or where ever it is he’s staying and have you there πŸ˜›

TheRedWriter wrote:

dragonessjade wrote:

TheRedWriter wrote:

pegasi1978:

safyre_dream:

dragonessjade:

Barrdwing:

Tc_cat333:

skigod377:

He’ll say that now but if he does go on tour if he’s anything like Ryan and most men I’ve dated, after a long day, he’s going to want to come home or where ever it is he’s staying and have you there πŸ˜›
      Yeah, I hope that is the case. I espically don’t want all those women around him. 😈

That’s what a wooden baseball bat is for and a red sharpie marker are for.

Bat = beating away his fan girls.

Sharpie = so you can write in big red letters on his forhead “MINE!

Purplecat
      Participant

TheRedWriter wrote:

Hehe…I’m gonna have my hubby read this, he’s gonna think we’re related! πŸ˜†

^_^ I’m glad someone gets my odd since of humor.

Elena
        Participant

purplecat wrote:

TheRedWriter wrote:

Hehe…I’m gonna have my hubby read this, he’s gonna think we’re related! πŸ˜†

Hey, that’s how I would label my boytoy! I don’t share πŸ˜‰

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.