fbpx

Discolored White Mama?

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Discolored White Mama?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie
    Participant

I bought a white mother dragon years ago when I first started collecting. When I got her she was pearly, bright white. She’s been on my top shelf for the last few years, and when I took her down to do some rearranging of my shelves I noticed her color had changed. She’s now more of a cream color, rather than a white.

At first I thought it was just an aging thing, but my husband pointed out to me that her color hadn’t changed on her back wing, and the back/side of her neck. While she has never been in direct sunlight, the parts of her that have changed color are parts that get light from the bulbs we have in our house.

The bulbs we have are energy efficient ones (the ones that are coils), and I use those on my desk lamps too, which shine on my red fire OW and my emerald peacock lap. Not to mention that she shelf my mother sits on also holds most of the rest of my Windstones.

Has anyone else noticed this? I’m afraid to turn my lights on, now! *lol* I don’t want my other pieces discoloring. Any thoughts? This is a non-smoking home, and the mother came from a non-smoking home as far as I know. That is to say I bought her on Ebay and she didn’t smell when I got her.

Pic of the white mother when I first got her (it’s big, so this is a link): Pic

Picture now:

Comparison to a newer white hatcher:

Ugh, I hope the light bulbs aren’t an issue. That’s mostly what we use around here as well. And I really don’t want to see what happens when copper fades or shifts!

I wonder if some of the difference between the newer hatcher and the older mama is simply a difference in the composition/batch/etc. of the paint itself? Just like with yarn or fabric–where they tell you to buy enough for your whole project at once–I believe there can be differences in paint batches. If those two are years apart in “age”, that might account for a little of the difference. But it obviously doesn’t account for mama’s non lit side being whiter than her display side is.

*sighs and goes to hide entire collection in the dark*

littleironhorse
      Participant

It’s not every color that’s susceptible to fading. For example there are greens, browns and peacocks that are decades old and I’ve never heard of any of them fading or morphing, so I wouln’d be too worried about the copper.

White has been known to darken when exposed to heat, though I don’t know about various light sources…

Misty
        Participant

I have a white mama too. But mine has always looked kinda cream colored. I use the same lights and she hasnt gotten any creamier that I can tell >.< So I don't know if it effects them any.

Puffpastryofdoom
          Participant

Stephanie, do you happen to burn candles? If so, then that could have caused your white Mother Dragon to turn cream.

Because most candles release a decent amount of heat and soot, it can cause discoloration and staining to things around the house over a period of time. Seeing how her scales are white, her discoloration (even if it’s subtle!) would definitely be more noticeable on her than on a colored dragon.
            (…I could be wrong, but it’s definitely a possibility if you burn candles!)

Stephanie
            Participant

Hmmm! That’s an interesting thought. I do burn candles occasionally, but it’s probably no more frequent than once a month. If that. And I do occasionally smoke out the kitchen with my cooking (*cough*) but again, that’s not /that/ frequent.

So I don’t think it’s that. But that’s a good thought!

Puffpastryofdoom
              Participant

Huh…. I wonder what caused it then! Since there are occasionally a few creamy white Windstone dragons that pop up on ebay, I wonder if it’s just that their paint is slightly sensitive to heat exposure (from light bulbs, sunlight, or from other sources). That would make sense on why your Mother Dragon only darkened on her front, and not her back! (Again, I could be wrong but it’s a thought!)

Bodine
                Participant

My white mother did that too.I have an excellent white lap,young and riser that sits close to to her and they are fine.Mother was the only one that has done that.It turned all dingy looking,especially in between the scales.Normal to darker lighting in my home, not bright so I am not so sure it is the lighting in my place.I got her from Ebay so not sure of her history but it wasn’t like that when I got her.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                  (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                  Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Bodine
                  Participant

Sorry,double post,my finger flipped and tapped twice. :p

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                    (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                    Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

darjeb
                    Participant

Out of curiosity I just looked at my whites of which I have 9 – OW, Emperor, all 3 Royals,, Fledgie, Coiled Dragon, Hatching (thanks to a great lady in MS). and the Curlie and none of them have changed color.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.