fbpx

Digital Camera tips ^_^

Home Forums Miscellany Community Digital Camera tips ^_^

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

I was thinking about how we take pictures of our PYOs and Windstones fairly often and how it can be difficult to photograph something close up even when using a digital camera. So i thought maybe it would be a good idea to share some tips on how to get some nice clear photos of your PYOs and Windstones, feel free to add points to mine!

First is about focusing – i know for a fact this is true of Canon cameras but i am pretty sure that all digital cameras have a “trick” to adjusting the focus to specific points rather than letting the camera decide where to focus (and it’s usually wrong). One way to pick where the camera will focus is to hold the shutter button down halfway and the camera screen should have a little square pop up near the center of the screen that shows you what part of the image the camera is focusing on. A good way to use this function is to pick a spot on your object that is good “middleground” to focus on, like the front of a dragon or gryphon. Move your camera so this part is exactly centered in the shot because that’s where the camera will pick it up better. Once you have pressed the shutter halfway and the little square appears on the body, keep the shutter button half-pressed and THEN you can move the camera sideways (not closer or farther) as needed to include what you want to include. For example, if you focused on the shoulder and you want to make sure you include the feet – the camera will “remember” what your chosen focus point will look like.

Also, another way to help the camera focus is to look for a symbol that represents the “macro” setting of the camera – it’s a setting that gives the camera greater scope of focus in terms of being closer to the camera (on normal settings, the camera has a limit to how close you can get your camera to the object). On my camera, this symbol is a little flower and it may be something similiar on your camera. Once you turn that function on, it will be easier to get closer to the smaller Windstones or PYOs using the above-mentioned focusing method.

And a brief thought about lighting – your eyes are SO MUCH BETTER at seeing light than a camera, so if you think a room is bright enough, you’ll probably get much better results if you drag another lap in there to make it a bit brighter. Whether you prefer the stark one-direction lighting of the flash or more even lighting of turning off the flash and just using the room’s lighting is up to you 🙂 Room lighting tends to be better for showing off sparkles or iridescence.

I hope some of that made sense ^_^

Skigod377
    Participant

OK OK! I’ll take better pictures! Just kidding. My camera swiches back to another setting as soon as I turn it off, so yours may do that, too. If I dont change the “Macro” every time I turn it on, I will get blurry pics.

frozendragon
      Participant

skigod377 wrote:

OK OK! I’ll take better pictures! Just kidding. My camera swiches back to another setting as soon as I turn it off, so yours may do that, too. If I dont change the “Macro” every time I turn it on, I will get blurry pics.

what kind of funky camera do you have….maybe it’s time for a samsung…..(they take GREAT photos)

Maria
        Participant

I prefer Canon. Everything Sunhawk said applies to it.

frozendragon
          Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

I prefer Canon. Everything Sunhawk said applies to it.

canon is a great camera too, but all the cameras I’ve had are samsung, and I just kind of point the camera and hit the button and the picture comes out great…no adjusting no thinking, no aiming….

so mainly that’s why I like them…..they’re more of a no brainer camera….sometimes I do get blurry shots but it’s mostly cause I can’t hold still…. 😯

Maria
            Participant

Same here with the Canon, frozen. It’s all automatic, and if the shot isn’t great it’s not the camera’s fault. What I love is that I can edit all my pictures right on the camera – even adjusting or changing colors. It’s awesome.

frozendragon
              Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Same here with the Canon, frozen. It’s all automatic, and if the shot isn’t great it’s not the camera’s fault. What I love is that I can edit all my pictures right on the camera – even adjusting or changing colors. It’s awesome.

cool what kind is it…..and how much….I like the sony one my friend has…..it takes great video too….

Maria
                Participant

Canon Ixus 50. Got it from my uncle who used to work for Canon.

frozendragon
                  Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Canon Ixus 50. Got it from my uncle who used to work for Canon.

cool….have to check it out….

I know I totally dig my canon printer….they are the best printers I think…..I had an Epson for a little while….and it cost more to get ink that it would to just get a new printer that came with ink….and least the canon ink is reasonable

Skigod377
                    Participant

I have an HP 733. Its ok, I guess…

frozendragon
                      Participant

skigod377 wrote:

I have an HP 733. Its ok, I guess…

hehe…yeah I had one of those I gave it to my sister…..

Skigod377
                        Participant

Im about to give mine to the wall. The batteries only last, like, a minute, and it only holds 12 pics, though I know I can make that more by buying something.

frozendragon
                          Participant

skigod377 wrote:

Im about to give mine to the wall. The batteries only last, like, a minute, and it only holds 12 pics, though I know I can make that more by buying something.

yeah if you get a card to store them….but I hated that the battery only lasted a few min….my new one the battery lasts a long time….but you can’t leave the battery in the camera or it will go dead….

we went to the zoo in Ft Worth and used the cameras, anthony’s camera went dead long before mine did, and mine holds like 300 pics depending on size and then the card holds like 1000, depending on size….

I have a simple Canon Powershot a75 but even it has some manual features and i’ve found it to be a very useful and versatile camera ^_^

Plus Canon has a good reputation for lens quality and clarity 😀

LOL sorry Ski, i didn’t meant to single you out, btw. I’d been meaning to write these little tips out for a while now ^_^

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.