fbpx

difference in gothic unicorn color

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone difference in gothic unicorn color

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Tiffany
    Participant

Tiffany
      Participant

well, i got a second gothic unicorn over the weekend and i was shocked when i opened the box! my old one was very ivory colored, (i got him off ebay a year ago with a broken hoof.) but never thought anything of it as i never had another to compare it to…. but he always looked ivory compared to my other regular unis… anyway i put him next to the one i just ordered and wow! the new one is beautiful white, like all the others! i’m not sure what is up with my original one.. did they paint them differently at one point or was my old one smoked on and cleaned really well? he had NO odor of smoke at all or tackiness but his felt has a little color to it, which could be smoke or just dirt n funk from a previous owner. couls he have yellowed in the sun? its consistent over the whole piece though. hmmmm.
        anyway, i just thought i’d post it cuz i was shocked by the difference in person, though it may not show up super duper well in the pics, which are a little gray..i’d love to know what y’all think!
        [img][/img]

Andrea
        Participant

Hmmm, I don’t know. But he is very cute!

Jodi
          Participant

I think I like the ivory one better. The other one is too bright, and the ivory one looks more antiqued. I like that antiqued look for the Gothic Unicorn because they were originally in old tapestries, right?

I think mine is closer to the new one you received.

Jennifer
            Keymaster

Like the white dragons, I think that different shades of paint were used over the years. The only reason they would discolor would be an outside influence (such as smoke or a house fire). 🙂

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
              My art: featherdust.com

You know though…my Young Unicorn and Baby Unicorn are almost creamy buff in color rather than white. They look downright beige! Look at this picture with my mainly white gryphon and a white piece of paper…you can see how warm winter white/beige they look.

But they are very much the same all over and I bought them new in a store. Although they do both smell like insense! ha!
              I can’t wait to hold that magical white goat in my greedy paws. They look great togeather! Thanks again TF…oh and great photography skills!

Tiffany
              Participant

yes, i have some real variance in my regular unis too, some are real white and my newest, the grand, is real BEIGE, but it was clear it was the paint. is a tough call on the gothic of its discolored or not. it does fit him though, an antiqued tone for a medievaly uni.

DantheDragon
                Participant

My gothic unicorn is more ivory coloured as well, though it was originally purchased from a smoke shop. It doesn’t look unnaturally yellowed though. I think it’s just the paint colour.

Maria
                  Participant

I think I like the darker ivory better. But they’re both cute.

Skigod377
                    Participant

The white wizards are like that, too. Some are creamy colored, and some (Like the one I sent Frozen) are shiny. It was weird seeing the two together, since they were so different. Maybe the gothic unis are the same way.

Thats quite a differance, i like the creamy one better but it more than likely they were just painted with quite a large time gap inbetween, i have seen loads of very small painted differances with hand painted pieces.
                      Lucky you to have two though! Ide never seen tham before.

Tiffany
                      Participant

wow, how about all that huh? well that makes me feel better i think! 😀 thanks guys! i think thats so neat that the subtlely different paint finishes can reflect when they were painted!
                        i know with my gargoyles they have really different paint jobs, the new ones being very glossy with alot of warm brown, but the old ones are very matte and very “black and white” feeling. there is the nicest tiger cat down the street from me in a shop, super duper dark like someone rubbed him with charcoal and a dark nose instead of the ivoryish, blushing color. it is so awesome but the guy wantes 3o bucks for it plus tax. a little steep but it is gorgeous and so different! i might break down and get it though….

Bob

I thought I had read that the white pieces have gold paint underneath. Could that be the cause here??

Skigod377
                          Participant

Dragon Master wrote:

I thought I had read that the white pieces have gold paint underneath. Could that be the cause here??

I dont remember reading that. I only remember that the light gold on the whites is created by painting over yellow. Could that be what you’re remembering?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.