fbpx

Cracks/Lines in Paint Finish

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Cracks/Lines in Paint Finish

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    frozendragon
    Participant

well the orientals are the only ones I’ve seen it on….I just got the peacock orientals from a store in Ohio….and they’ve been on their shelf ever since they came out…

it’s not that humid in Ohio is it?

I thought it could be something to do with the lights they use in the display cases…

but that’s just me thinking…and that doesn’t always work the best…

Rusti
      Participant

frozendragon wrote:

well the orientals are the only ones I’ve seen it on….I just got the peacock orientals from a store in Ohio….and they’ve been on their shelf ever since they came out…

it’s not that humid in Ohio is it?

I thought it could be something to do with the lights they use in the display cases…

but that’s just me thinking…and that doesn’t always work the best…

If August in Dayton is anything to go on, Yes, it’s humid in Ohio. πŸ˜›

Jennifer
        Keymaster

Melody wrote:

I have never seen that kind of crazing on any of the dragons we have here, which could mean … that it is caused by humidity? We have almost none of that here in So. Cal.

I really don’t have a clue what could be causing that.. We test the finish by soaking,freezing baking and refreezing pieces,and haven’t found this to happen, but that isn’t the same as years of humidity… and it seems to be most common on the bottoms?
          What is the history of these dragons? Did you buy them new? Are they in humid environments? Any clues?

Mine was bought used, and I don’t know the history. I know I was researching Golden stuff lately and I saw a few of their products say that they may craze because they are so stiff that they don’t have any give. Is it possible that just one batch or orientals… or something, got a different brand of clear coat? I know you don’t use Golden brand for clear coats but is it possible that they got something different? None of my other pieces have any crazing at all. And the oriental is most crazed on the bottom, yes.

Here on the east coat it does get very humid in the warmer months (sometimes 99%) and very dry in the winter months (it was 12% when our yard caught on fire…).

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
          My art: featherdust.com

frozendragon
          Participant

hmmm….I guess it could be humidity then…

at least the look really nice and shiny till you take pictures of them….

hehe

Starbreeze
            Participant

I don’t think it’s caused by humidity, unless the pieces are not being kept in air conditioning. Here in Florida, we have extremely high humidity almost year round and my orientals do not have any cracks or lines and I’ve had them since they first came out in production. Maybe air conditioning makes the difference. πŸ˜•

Jennifer
              Keymaster

starbreeze wrote:

I don’t think it’s caused by humidity, unless the pieces are not being kept in air conditioning. Here in Florida, we have extremely high humidity almost year round and my orientals do not have any cracks or lines and I’ve had them since they first came out in production. Maybe air conditioning makes the difference. πŸ˜•

Air conditioning systems usually do pull a lot of moisture out of the air, making it dry and lowering the humidity, so it’s possible! Lots of people don’t have air conditioning though. πŸ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                My art: featherdust.com

Starbreeze
                Participant

Nambroth wrote:

Air conditioning systems usually do pull a lot of moisture out of the air, making it dry and lowering the humidity, so it’s possible! Lots of people don’t have air conditioning though. πŸ™‚

Yeah, when I was little, we lived in Kentucky and we didn’t have air conditioning. I wouldn’t want to live in Florida without it though!!! πŸ˜†

starbreeze wrote:

Nambroth wrote:

Yeah, when I was little, we lived in Kentucky and we didn’t have air conditioning. I wouldn’t want to live in Florida without it though!!! πŸ˜†

I wouldn’t want to live without it either! And out here the humidity is low and the temperatures relatively mild.

I think the humidity is the key factor. I normally leave the AC off when I’m at work (i.e., weekdays) and the temperature sometimes gets up to over 90 degrees during the day in the summer, but the humidity is very low year round. I haven’t noticed any problems on the Windstones that I’ve had for ~15 years.

Starbreeze
                  Participant

So maybe it is humidity then and the air conditioner just protects my Windstone. I have to leave it on all day because of the dogs. I can’t leave them in a 90+degree house.

That makes sense! So the AC is good for the Windstones and the dogs. πŸ™‚

If I ever have pets, I’d also have to leave the AC on everyday. My utility bill would definitely be a lot higher!

Starbreeze
                    Participant

Oh yeah, the electric bill would definitely be a lot higher. You don’t want to know πŸ˜†

I’m sure you’re right! πŸ˜†

Leigha
                      Participant

I have a Lap dragon and I think she has crazing. Down her ridgeline between her horns, on her sides, and on her tail.

It’s not as severe as yours Jenn, more like a few lines here and there. I thought it was cracked at first. When you run your finger nail over it, does it catch a bit? or is yours really completely smooth? Mine is smooth to the skin, but when I run my nail lightly over the lines, I can feel them.

She’s beautiful either way and you can hardly see them unless you’re “inspecting” her like I do.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.