fbpx

Color Variations

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Color Variations

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Arlla
    Participant

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."
      -J R R Tolkien

Arlla
      Participant

Hi Melody!
        First off, my sympathies are still with you about the robbery – we’re all making voodoo dolls of those theives and scouring ebay for your poor lost babies!

Second, my topic – I just wanted to ask you about variations in some of your colors – while all the colors seem to have slightly different versions of themselves, I’ve noticed that it’s HUGELY variable in the peacock dragons. Not only are certain of the colors different in intensity from one piece to the next, sometimes certain peacock hues don’t even show up on particular pieces! I just recieved a peacock fledgling with no purple on his tummy, and I’ve seen a few others that don’t have any green.
        Now on one hand, this makes collecting rather exciting – the dragons are like individuals of a species, each one a little different though the same. It’s always fun when you snatch yourself a particularly pretty one.
        On the other hand, it can be darned frustrating for a collector too! As someone who doesn’t have any stores near them that keep more than a few dragons in stock, it’s extremely difficult to see a piece in person before I buy it sometimes. There has been more than one occasion where I really wish there were no variations and I could be sure what I was paying $100+ for!! I really don’t want to open up a peacock old warrior that I’ve saved a long time for only to find that he’s one of the dusty washed out ugly ones.
        I guess my real question is – how intentional is all this variation?? I know that different batches get painted by different people, but I also know you have color models that they are supposed to be working from – it seems like, unless they were doing it on purpose, your painters could be a little more consistant.

-J R R Tolkien

drag0nfeathers
        Participant

LOL! Let’s not ask for miracles

Got a busted Windstone?
          drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
          *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
          Arc-en-ciel Emperor
          Siphlophis Male Dragon
          Calypso Hatching Empress
          Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
          Tattoo Mother Kirin
          Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
          Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
          Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
          Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
          Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
          Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Good question, Arlla! I’ve wondered about this myself…

WolfenMachine
          Participant

I’ve began noticing that too. That’s one of the reasons I don’t want to get the peacock OW. I guess you could find a store with a great return policy, or call the store and ask specifically about the color.

drag0nfeathers
            Participant

My new peacocks have MUCH more hunter green in them my others. My Old Warrior is basically a greyish blue with some lavanders and purples. I think hes just REALLY old!

Got a busted Windstone?
              drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
              *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
              Arc-en-ciel Emperor
              Siphlophis Male Dragon
              Calypso Hatching Empress
              Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
              Tattoo Mother Kirin
              Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
              Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
              Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
              Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
              Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
              Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Arlla
              Participant

Well, at this point I think I’ll have to put up with what I can get if I want one at all…nobody has any… ;_;

-J R R Tolkien

Arlla
                Participant

BUMP so Melody notices it…

-J R R Tolkien

SPark
                  Participant

Arlla – I’m pretty sure she’s answered this elsewhere, on some of the other colors, and the answer is “It’s not intentional, it just happens.” They have a lot of painters, and each person does them a tiny bit differently, and then over years they can mutate a little, plus sometimes they have to get a different kind of paint, like with the ruby ones, where the original more ceanberry paint wasn’t working out and had to be switched for one that was more pink.

If she wants to give a more definitive answer, that’d be great, but we have talked about color variations in general before. When you’re having stuff hand painted, there’s no way to make it all identical. (Which is good by me! I’m glad that every one is a tiny bit different.)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.