fbpx

Close-ups

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Maria
    Participant

This is for the painters:
      I’m currently in full swing of painting my second Kirin, who’s destined for E-Bay, and I’m thoroughly disgusted with my blending. The little girl looks beautiful from anything farther than 6 inches away, but she doesn’t stand the “scrutiny under a microscope.” In order to compare, could I ask some of you to post close-ups of your brushwork on scales?
      Below you see how Arethusa’s blending turned out:

Maria
      Participant

ladybrooklyn
        Participant

You’re painting in acrylics right GB?

Are you using an Acrylic Medium to extend the “drying time” of your acrylics?

I find that when I work with Acrylics… I have to work really small… and blend and blend and blend… otherwise they get streaky…

Also… have you considered dry brushing as apposed go blending?

You can also try thinning down your acrylics with water a little bit. That has helped alot when I’m blending. I’ll get them thinned down to where they look more like watercolors than acrylics at times, and just do several layers of washes on top of another color to get the kind of blending I want. Though I admit I don’t know what brand of paint you are using, so I dunno if this will work or not. I’ve noticed a lot of people like to use the FolkArt and AppleBarrel brand paints and I’ve never tried those. I use alot of Liquitex brand and Golden brand. I already shipped out my kiRin and dragon otherwise I’d hook you up with close up shots of the Kirin scales. My Kirin did have a little bit of brush strokes in his large belly scales.

Maria
          Participant

Yes, I do use acrylics. And I do extend the drying time. Dry brushing in this case doesn’t give me the same effect.
            On this second Kirin, Praxithea, I work scale by scale, ultramarine blue down into white at the tip. I averaged 20 minutes on the big side scales this morning. 😯 So you’re right with the blend, blend, blend. She does look awesome from anything farther than 6 inches…

drag0nfeathers
            Participant

Give me a few minutes and I’ll post some of mine, I get alot of comments on my blending.

Got a busted Windstone?
              drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
              *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
              Arc-en-ciel Emperor
              Siphlophis Male Dragon
              Calypso Hatching Empress
              Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
              Tattoo Mother Kirin
              Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
              Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
              Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
              Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
              Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
              Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Maria
              Participant

That’s what I was waiting for. πŸ˜€
                UnicornLvr – I use Rembrandt, Liquitex, and Winsor&Newton. I mix brands; it doesn’t matter to me.
                There is one thing that I can do better on Praxithea – on her belly I can use a Filbert (sp?) brush. But until I find a teeny tiny one somewhere, mine is just too big for the side scales.

ladybrooklyn
                Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

So you’re right with the blend, blend, blend. She does look awesome from anything farther than 6 inches…

Yeah… that’s oen thing that bugs me about acrylics… they look AWESOME from a ways away… until you inspect it really close and then you can start to see the strokes… where you blended and how… etc..

If you aren’t using an acrylic medium… I’d suggest it… it will at least help a bit. πŸ˜€

Maria
                  Participant

Will do. Could you describe your pastel method again, just really short?

ladybrooklyn
                    Participant

Well… Ic ould if I had a bit more time left in my lunch… DRAT!

Try this… (posted in another thread… but here again just in case! ^.^) Jennifer Danza… she’s the pioneer of pasteling (to my knowledge anyway) in the model horse hobby…

http://danzaanddanza.com/winter4.html

That should give you some basics… it’s really not that much different applying it to a PYO. πŸ˜€ Especially if you are already familiar with how you paint the scales and such. πŸ˜€

If you have any other questions… I’ll try my hardest to answer them.

I WILL get a pastel tutorial up! πŸ˜€ 😈

Maria
                      Participant

Thanks.

Lokie
                        Participant

ladybrooklyn wrote:

Well… Ic ould if I had a bit more time left in my lunch… DRAT!

Try this… (posted in another thread… but here again just in case! ^.^) Jennifer Danza… she’s the pioneer of pasteling (to my knowledge anyway) in the model horse hobby…

http://danzaanddanza.com/winter4.html

That should give you some basics… it’s really not that much different applying it to a PYO. πŸ˜€ Especially if you are already familiar with how you paint the scales and such. πŸ˜€

If you have any other questions… I’ll try my hardest to answer them.

I WILL get a pastel tutorial up! πŸ˜€ 😈
                          Ah, I keep wanting to try pastels. I think I would love it and I like the look of pieces painted with them. I have tons I can crush up from my earlier days of painting with them but I can’t figure out where you get those small, flat, stenciling type brushes.

Sorry GB, that comment didn’t have relevance to your thread.

drag0nfeathers
                          Participant

Okay, these shots are as close as I could get with my camera. I used my Diablo Ki-Rin for an example since it is one of the only ones I actually kept besides the Violet one which doesn’t have blended scales.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h196/drag0nfeathers/PYO%20In%20Progress/100_3428.jpg
                            http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h196/drag0nfeathers/PYO%20In%20Progress/100_3428.jpg
                            http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h196/drag0nfeathers/PYO%20In%20Progress/100_3430.jpg
                            http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h196/drag0nfeathers/PYO%20In%20Progress/100_3432.jpg
                            http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h196/drag0nfeathers/PYO%20In%20Progress/100_3433.jpg
                            My secret is very simple, it’s just water. I use a damp (not drenched) very very soft, long bristle brush to gently blend the wet paint together once it applied. It takes alot of practice and a few coats. If the fist few are splotchy, it’s fine, the next coat will cover up the imperections. Your paint needs to be thin, but not transparent. Once you have about 2 or 3 coats on thses are my results. It’s very time consuming, but once you have the right consistancy it can go quickly.

Here is a closeup of Skigod’s new Dragon’s wing.

Got a busted Windstone?
                            *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                            Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                            Siphlophis Male Dragon
                            Calypso Hatching Empress
                            Tattoo Mother Kirin

Maria
                            Participant

Thanks so much, drag0n. That’s exactly what I needed. Let’s see what comes of it! πŸ˜€

drag0nfeathers
                              Participant

LOL! I divuldged that to Nambroth a long time ago, I still wonder if it helped her =)

Got a busted Windstone?
                                *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                                Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                                Siphlophis Male Dragon
                                Calypso Hatching Empress
                                Tattoo Mother Kirin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.