fbpx

Clear coat & enamel paint question

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Clear coat & enamel paint question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    siberakh1
    Participant

siberakh1
      Participant

Just finishing up on a PYO Kirin. I used regular acrylics for most of it, but I did some of the scales in an enamel (transparent Candy Apple Red). I just went to spray on a clear coat of Krylon. The scales appeared to dull quite noticeably. The coating is supposed to have a slight gloss to it. It does not seem to be very humid out and is in the high 60’s/low 70’s.

Will this settle out in a day or two? Should I try a more glossy krylon? Did I ruin the coat of the candy apple red? Do I have to start all over again (please no)?

Hmmm.

I’ll bet you $10 my father used the same kind of enamel on a project of his. (If any of you watch Mystery Science Theatre 3000, transparent Candy Apple Red is the exact colour you want for a Tom Servo replica.) I think I’ll ask him what he used to seal his thing for you if no one replies before he gets home…

Oh, and I don’t know crap about enamel, but I’m curious so I’ll ask…is it still water-based like acrylic? I’m concerned if the enamel won’t allow the gypsum stone to “breathe”, so to speak. Latex and other such materials that don’t let the gypsum “sweat” out excess moisture and such can lead to trouble.

Jennifer
        Keymaster

We (Windstone) reccommends against using enamels or oil based paints on large areas of PYOs. Small areas are okay but large areas may create problems for the reasons Rockerbot named.

I don’t think you’re supposed to use acrylic-based sealers (most Krylon clear coats are acrylic based, check the label) over enamel. Enamels are a totally different family of paints.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
          My art: featherdust.com

siberakh1
          Participant

Talked to my dad and it may be humidity. The weather decided to pour about an hour later and will rain for the rest of the day. It’s only about 65 degrees out, and didn’t feel humid. If so, it’s just a matter of playing the waiting game for the clear coat to clear. If not, then I’ll have to get out the gloves and my dad’s paint stripper *sigh*.

Thanks for checking Rockerbot on the clearcoat. He’s been painted for a while without a problem (a week or better). Just finally got around to doing touch up work this weekend on him so I could do the clearcoat today. Transparent Candy Apple Red is such a yummy color. I used a base of metallic silver under the Red (since it’s a transparent color). The rest of the kirin is white/iridescent white with some gold highlights. If I have to start over, at least I know some new tricks with this guy. It will have been good practice and a fun experiment.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.