fbpx

Cleaning gold horns on the dragons help

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Cleaning gold horns on the dragons help

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Betrluk1
    Participant

I bought this lap dragon off Ebay. The pictures didn’t show how up close all the paint is cracked and the horns are spotted. Any suggestions how i can at least clean up the horns? She still looks good from a distance but i am disappointed at how misrepresenting the photos were.

photo 20141012_182736_zpsf2b8617c.jpg
       photo 20141012_182652_zpsdc3f9df6.jpg
       photo 20141012_182715_zps19ff3f14.jpg

I bought this lap dragon off Ebay. The pictures didn’t show how up close all the paint is cracked and the horns are spotted. Any suggestions how i can at least clean up the horns? She still looks good from a distance but i am disappointed at how misrepresenting the photos were.

photo 20141012_182736_zpsf2b8617c.jpg
       photo 20141012_182652_zpsdc3f9df6.jpg
       photo 20141012_182715_zps19ff3f14.jpg

Is that the mysterious horn rot I have heard about?

And the crackle on the side is called crazing. some clear coats will do that over time when exposed to varying environments.

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
      www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
      Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

Kiya
      Participant

I had good luck fixing a kirin horn that was actually missing the gold in places by using a gold paint pen and then clear coating it. Susie will send you a mostly used gold pen if you ask for one. 🙂

Kim
        Blocked

I wonder if jewelry cleaning solution and a soft cloth would work on horns if anyone would know? I have cleaned tarnished gold and silver jewelry with that that made it nice and shiny again.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

KaytanaPhoenix
          Participant

I would say try a jewelry cleaning cloth… it’s real gold plating on the horns, so it *should* clean and polish up the same as gold jewelry would.. I wouldn’t do a liquid anything, as I have no idea how that would affect the paint if it dribbled, but you can get a cleaning/polishing cloth at Walmart/Target/Michaels/Hobby Lobby… at the least, that is where I would start if I had a horn that looked like this..

Jennifer
            Keymaster

I don’t know if this lap (an older one) falls into the category for “horn rot”, but the factory had an issue with the folks that used to do the gold plating on at least one batch of horns. It was either done improperly or poorly– I forget the exact details. They used the horns for a while without realizing the problem. Regardless, the amount of gold on normal gold plating is quite thin, and the bad batch may have been even thinner. Use jewelry cleaning tools and polishes with extreme caution and at your own risk.

If you have nothing to lose, you can try polishing or cleaning them, but if it is “Horn rot” (where impurities or poor plating is causing tarnishing, which should not happen) it is unlikely to help.

In that case, the only real way to make them shiny again is with the gold paint pen and then a layer of clear sealer, as mentioned above.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
              My art: featherdust.com

Betrluk1
              Participant

Ok thanks. I appreciate all the feedback.

Jennifer
                Keymaster

Ok thanks. I appreciate all the feedback.

Good luck!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                  My art: featherdust.com

Susie
                  Keymaster

Pam and I have never seen anything like this before. It does not look the same as what we’ve called “horn rot”. The gold plating is VERY thin. You might want to polish very carefully on one of those tiny spots to determine if the spot is on top of the gold plate, or a hole right through it. Underneath it is silver colored pewter.

rachelled
                    Participant

Sorry I can’t be of much help, but did you contact the seller about the misrepresenting photos? Explain how it would have affected your decision to purchase – They may be willing to give you a partial discount.

Sorry I can’t be of much help, but did you contact the seller about the misrepresenting photos? Explain how it would have affected your decision to purchase – They may be willing to give you a partial discount.

If it was purchased on eBay there is buyer protection. In theory you could ask for a full refund as it was misrepresented 🙂 I don’t know if it’s the same on your side of the pond, but here we have something called the Distance Trading Act, which is a law that protects consumers when buying online.

Blight
                      Participant

In my experience, for non-Windstone products, it happens because the gold plating is very, very thin. =(

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.