fbpx

Chess…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    twindragonsmum
    Participant

Need a pyo castle

*Flails madly!!! * Oh my heavens! YES!!!!!!!!! (where’s my WANT picture?)

tdm

I always wanted to do this one as a pyo , but it is too big for a chess set. http://reptangle.deviantart.com/art/Wizards-castle-216110186

Jes’ make a ‘mini’ sorta one cuz that one’s a STUNNER πŸ˜‰ I’d LOVE for that castle to be a pyo as well! *chants* chess set!, chess set!, chess set! (It’s the cough syrup, really…)

tdm :p

tdm

Prezaurian
      Participant

Someone could always commission an artist to do that. But WOW! That would be an expensive and time consuming project! But also a fascinating challenge. Actually, it would be kind of neat if it were a collaborative project between a bunch of the forum pyo artists. And if there was confusion on what to do with the finished set…sell it on eBay and donate the proceeds to a mutually agreed on charity or something.

This would be so much fun! Once the pieces are decided on, anyone who wants can volunteer to paint a piece and mail it back to the factory. But maybe then you’d need different sculpts for each side? Or an agreed-upon basic color scheme for each side?

I think you could get away with the same sculpts on both sides as long as you had a set upon color scheme for each side. πŸ™‚ The pyo kitsune would make a nice bishop. Possibly knight considering the kitsune trickster nature and knight’s unusual movement pattern. I would use mostly the smaller sculpts, just to keep the pieces to a more playable size.

King = father foo
        Queen = mother foo
        Pawns = baby foo
        Bishop = kitsune
        Knight = kitty griffin
        Rook = dragon (little one)

But…hm, what color scheme? The traditional black vs white seems a bit boring to me. There is black vs red too…but also kind of boring.

Perhaps red, black, silver vs blue, white, gold?

Dang…now I want to do this. But it would cost a ding-dong-dang fortune! πŸ˜›

Someone should orginize this. πŸ™‚ That would be cool to do a collaboration and send them to the factory. Someone who maybe doesn’t wanna paint could take part and make a foldable giant matte OR We could collaborate even more and request titles painted in two different colors maybe with like vine designs on the edge peices or something, and those that want to do something small could do a tile. I’d be up to do a foo dog. πŸ™‚

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
        www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
        Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

Ela_Hara
        Participant

Someone should orginize this. πŸ™‚ That would be cool to do a collaboration and send them to the factory. Someone who maybe doesn’t wanna paint could take part and make a foldable giant matte OR We could collaborate even more and request titles painted in two different colors maybe with like vine designs on the edge peices or something, and those that want to do something small could do a tile. I’d be up to do a foo dog. πŸ™‚

This would be an big project to work on and coordinate…. Here are the basic logistics:
          You would probably need a Chessboard with a minimum size of 4×4 inch squares to accommodate the FooDad/Mom pieces. A chessboard is 8 squares x 8 squares, so 32 squares/tiles for each color/side… that’s over a 5 foot x 5 foot completed chess board by the way.

You would need to have for each color/side:
          ( 1 ) Foo Dad
          ( 1 ) Foo Mom
          ( 2 ) Kitsunes
          ( 2 ) Kitty Griffins
          ( 2 ) Dragons
          ( 8 ) Foo Pups

I found this reference chart to determine the size of chessboard squares for the King’s Base Diameter:
          King Base | Ideal Square Size

1.5″ | 1.875″ – 2.0″ squares

1.75″ | 2.25″ – 2.375″ squares

1.875″ | 2.375″ – 2.5″ squares

2.0″ | 2.5″ – 2.75″ squares

Could be fun… and definitely a show piece πŸ™‚

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
          Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
          Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
          *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Prezaurian
          Participant

This would be an big project to work on and coordinate…. Here are the basic logistics:
            You would probably need a Chessboard with a minimum size of 4×4 inch squares to accommodate the FooDad/Mom pieces. A chessboard is 8 squares x 8 squares, so 32 squares/tiles for each color/side… that’s over a 5 foot x 5 foot completed chess board by the way.

You would need to have for each color/side:
            ( 1 ) Foo Dad
            ( 1 ) Foo Mom
            ( 2 ) Kitsunes
            ( 2 ) Kitty Griffins
            ( 2 ) Dragons
            ( 8 ) Foo Pups

I found this reference chart to determine the size of chessboard squares for the King’s Base Diameter:
            King Base | Ideal Square Size

1.5″ | 1.875″ – 2.0″ squares

1.75″ | 2.25″ – 2.375″ squares

1.875″ | 2.375″ – 2.5″ squares

2.0″ | 2.5″ – 2.75″ squares

Could be fun… and definitely a show piece πŸ™‚

Whew, indeed! Thanks for the board info! And just to add on. If it were to be say, auctioned off and proceeds given to charity…the people at Windstone Editions (assuming that’s where all the pieces would be sent when they were finished) would have to be on board with the project (and they’re always so busy already!). It would be a pretty big endeavor for everyone involved. I LOVE the idea. But everyone who participated would have to realize it is a HUGE thing to do. And some firm guidelines would have to be placed (like colors of each side and such), along with timelines and volunteers for painting (and what each volunteer was going to paint). Not to mention the PYO swap is going on right now and unlike the swap, the volunteer painters wouldn’t be getting anything in return except the recognition of painting a piece for the chess set and the satisfaction of participating in something for charity (which would also have to be picked). lol…unless it wasn’t for charity at all and just a huge gift to the guys at Windstone in appreciation for all the hard work they do for their fans.

Ela_Hara
            Participant

It might be a great charity or gift idea – you know what?!
              My overall dimensions were OFF Just a Bit…. I’m not great in math LOL.

The AREA would be a little over 5 feet, Not the board’s size. The board’s width x length dimensions would be 32 inches (4 inch tiles x 8 tiles = 32 inches) or a little over 2-1/2 feet each side (2.6 ft x 2.6 ft). Maybe it would be a good size for the board….

Found some ready made 4 inch square boards, but they’re a little pricey: http://www.megachess.com/Boardswith3inch_to4inchSquares_s/2101.htm

It might be a great charity or gift idea – you know what?!
              My overall dimensions were OFF Just a Bit…. I’m not great in math LOL.

The AREA would be a little over 5 feet, Not the board’s size. The board’s width x length dimensions would be 32 inches (4 inch tiles x 8 tiles = 32 inches) or a little over 2-1/2 feet each side (2.6 ft x 2.6 ft). Maybe it would be a good size for the board….

Found some ready made 4 inch square boards, but they’re a little pricey: http://www.megachess.com/Boardswith3inch_to4inchSquares_s/2101.htm

All in all I think this could be done. If we wanted to recognize and Auction it off to charity that would be awesome. I think that multiple things could be done to decide that. Like for example, if there were not enough room at windstone, some kind forum member could temporarily house all of the peices for the set and then ship it, while maybe windstone creates the Ebay listing and then tranfers the shipping cost via paypal so it may be shipped. Those who take part could each list one charity and a pole could be listed on the forum and then a poll made. And you could also divy up the proceeds as well. Like split to say the top 2 or three charity’s. I think another neat thing to do would be to have the COA for the set signed by each of the painters so that they each recieve some type of recognition.

Wouold take alot of organizing, but it would be awesome to do!! πŸ™‚

Hmmm….This would defently not be started until after the pyo swap, maybe not till like jan/feb ish so that way the busy season and all that hooha would be settled down.

Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

Prezaurian
              Participant

This sounds pretty cool. And I’d love to participate if it happened. So here are two important questions. If it were done…would the lovely people at Windstone consider it? And two, who would be a good choice to organize it (and would they be willing to)?

I also just measured the Foo Mom from tip of her front paws to the end of her tail. She’s 6 inches long and about 4 inches wide. Or at least, that’s how much of her sits on a surface. So I think the tiles would have to be a tiny bit bigger than 4in x 4in. The length of her tail sitting on the ground throws off the 4 inch measurement unfortunately. Foo Father is the same in measurements as the Foo Mother.

Elena
                Participant

This would be a fun group project! πŸ˜€

For the ‘board’ might I suggest a giant quilt?
                  I know there are several sewing people here (I’m one πŸ˜‰ )

I would be wiling to organize, I like organizing and do that sort of thing for a living πŸ˜›

What about not using some of the larger PYOs? The Foo Parents and Keeper have a fairly large footprint which would mean a much larger ‘board’

King – Dragon
                  Queen – Griffin
                  Bishop – Ki-Rin
                  Knight – Kitsune
                  Rook – Phoenix
                  Pawn – Foo Pups / Kitty Griffins

draw a four inch square. if they sit diagonal, will they fit? Also, if it is only a by a marginal ammount, then that size may still work cause their tails are behind and a little overlay should be a problem..hmmm.. I’ll email suzie and she if they have seen this thread. πŸ™‚

Ela_Hara
                  Participant

Actually, I like the Quilt idea for the chessboard better. You could do 5 to 5-1/2 squares to accommodate the Foo Dad and Foo Mom, and it would be much easier to store and be more portable. They do have roll up vinyl chessboards available, but those only have squares that go from 2 to 2-3/4 inches squared.

For ease of storage, portability and shipping, I would suggest keeping the piece sizes as small as possible, so unfortunately, I don’t believe the Keeper Dragon or Griffin PYOs are feasible to use… those are my thoughts.

Prezaurian
                    Participant

Actually, I like the Quilt idea for the chessboard better. You could do 5 to 5-1/2 squares to accommodate the Foo Dad and Foo Mom, and it would be much easier to store and be more portable. They do have roll up vinyl chessboards available, but those only have squares that go from 2 to 2-3/4 inches squared.

For ease of storage, portability and shipping, I would suggest keeping the piece sizes as small as possible, so unfortunately, I don’t believe the Keeper Dragon or Griffin PYOs are feasible to use… those are my thoughts.

I like the quilt idea too, because it is WAY more feasible to store and move around. My only concern would be that a soft board might allow the pieces more opportunity to wobble and possibly fall over. Unless it was an unpadded quilt. That might work well.

The phoenix is a good size for this idea too. It has a small footprint. I only suggest the small dragon for a rook because castles (rook) and dragons have such a close association. πŸ˜‰ I like the idea of the Foos for the king and queen because they have an association match (father, mother, king, queen). Foops for pawns because there are SO many pawns and Foops are a lower price than all the other sculpts. I guess these are other issues that would have to be ironed out before a project like this was started. πŸ™‚

I also would not mind helping to organize a project like this. LOL. I like the idea of it so much that if it doesn’t get up and running I might be crazy enough to try and pull it off by myself!

Ela_Hara
                      Participant

I also would not mind helping to organize a project like this. LOL. I like the idea of it so much that if it doesn’t get up and running I might be crazy enough to try and pull it off by myself!

HA! You and Me Both! Might need to have one or two coordinate aspects of this if it became a viable project.
                        I can see someone to coordinate the Chessboard quilt (unpadded would make more sense), and one or possibly two people, to coordinate the pieces (one coordinator for each color side maybe?).

It would be something if it was done though. πŸ™‚

HA! You and Me Both! Might need to have one or two coordinate aspects of this if it became a viable project.
                        I can see someone to coordinate the Chessboard quilt (unpadded would make more sense), and one or possibly two people, to coordinate the pieces (one coordinator for each color side maybe?).

It would be something if it was done though. πŸ™‚

You can count me in!

Prezaurian
                        Participant

draw a four inch square. if they sit diagonal, will they fit? Also, if it is only a by a marginal ammount, then that size may still work cause their tails are behind and a little overlay should be a problem..hmmm.. I’ll email suzie and she if they have seen this thread. πŸ™‚

Out of curiosities’ sake, did Suzie get back to you?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.