fbpx

ceramic glazes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    twindragonsmum
    Participant

Any one have any idea if a pyo will stand up to kiln firing for traditional ceramic glazes and underglazes? I’m mostly worried about the eyes and the crystal. How about Fimo which fires in a conventonal oven? Thanks!

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€

tdm

twindragonsmum
      Participant

tdm

Sounds like a cool idea! I’m not into ceramics, but I’m interested in seeing if this could work. The results could be really neat.

KoishiiKitty
        Participant

i think it would explode in a kiln.

I hadn’t thought of trying it since it’s not ceramic.

The temps for art glazes and over glazes shouldn’t be high enough to melt the glass eyes, but the glaze gas might discolor them. The heat might also discolor the paint color behind the glass eye. As for the jewel, I think might melt. I wonder if the high heat would make the gypsum brittle.

Now I’ll probably have to try one to see how it turns out. Some of my favorite ceramic creations were happy accidents. πŸ˜€ I used to make ceramic dragon eggs. I never knew what they would look like until I opened the kiln.

Click us to help us grow!

The PYO itself could not survive a kiln. There is a reason ceramics are hollow, because if they weren’t the moisture within the clay..in this case gypsum would not be able to evaporate out fully and would explode.

And yes, I have experience with this, I got impatient with a clay piece I was making and rushed it, it exploded all over the inside of my kiln, and I had to start over.

The oven idea might work, but I would remove the eyes and jewel before trying it. Talk to Koishi about eye removal, or ask Windstone to send you a PYO with the eyes separate. I admit it would help a lot if they came like that…the eyes and jewels not inserted, or glued…because painting them would be so much easier!

Anyway…I’d experiment with a muse, they are small and not too expensive, so if the oven thing fails, you aren’t out much.

Why do you want to use a glaze?

Kyrin

I don’t know about Twin, but I love playing with the Art Glazes and being surprised at how they turn out.

Click us to help us grow!

I don’t think so. I know in pottery classes we couldn’t fire anything more than like 3/4″ thick or something like that…?

If it does work I want to see!

Pegasi1978
          Participant

I thought this (or something similar) had been discussed before. I know Windstones typically can’t withstand a fire. DM lost several of his in a house fire many years ago.

Melody
            Keymaster

twindragonsmum wrote:

Any one have any idea if a pyo will stand up to kiln firing for traditional ceramic glazes and underglazes? I’m mostly worried about the eyes and the crystal. How about Fimo which fires in a conventonal oven? Thanks!

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€ No. You can’t fire gypsum, (not because of the thickness; bricks are fired ceramic clay, so thickness alone isn’t always an issue with ceramics ) Gypsum is different from ceramics. It will turn back into white powder if it is heated to the high temperatures that are required to fuse a ceramic glaze. It can withstand house fires, sometimes. (We have quite a collection of ones that have!)

Jennifer
              Keymaster

Melody wins! She got to this before me, hehe!

Your PYO will not survive a kiln. It’ll turn to dust as Melody said. πŸ™‚

I’m a little confused by the Fimo question. Are you trying to add something to your PYO? Technically, last time I checked with John, Windstone doesn’t really allow any modifications to their pieces. πŸ™ Not because they’re trying to stifle creativity, but because it causes some copyright issues.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                My art: featherdust.com

twindragonsmum
                Participant

Thanks everyone, that was very informative! Jen, I don’t want to modify a pyo I just thought it might be interesting to do the dragon scales with a veneer of cane work; like millifiori. I can get much more detail to my Fimo canes through the reduction process than I can paint on a pyo. You can get tissue paper thin slices off the cane with the right blade and since it cures at 265 F (at the highest, others cure at lower temps) I was wondering if the pyo would survive. I kinda figured my ceramics kiln was a no go, but it never hurts to ask. So, what about 265F in a standard oven? Will the eyes & jewel survive that, and is that hot enough to destroy the gypsum? Thanks!

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€

tdm

Jennifer
                  Keymaster

twindragonsmum wrote:

Thanks everyone, that was very informative! Jen, I don’t want to modify a pyo I just thought it might be interesting to do the dragon scales with a veneer of cane work; like millifiori. I can get much more detail to my Fimo canes through the reduction process than I can paint on a pyo. You can get tissue paper thin slices off the cane with the right blade and since it cures at 265 F (at the highest, others cure at lower temps) I was wondering if the pyo would survive. I kinda figured my ceramics kiln was a no go, but it never hurts to ask. So, what about 265F in a standard oven? Will the eyes & jewel survive that, and is that hot enough to destroy the gypsum? Thanks!

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€

Oh cool, that is a neat idea (With the fimo canes)!! The eyes should definitely survive- they eyes are glass that has been fired with enamel to give them the color (which is why it’s been hard to create new colors). The PYO should survive too… I’ll ask Melody next time I ‘see’ her!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                    My art: featherdust.com

twindragonsmum
                    Participant

Thanks!

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€

tdm

KoishiiKitty
                      Participant

i can also tell you how to take the eyes out if you would like πŸ™‚ just pm me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.