"Bubble" eyes

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody "Bubble" eyes

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    NirvanaCat13
    Participant

😯 WOW! Grats!

Skigod377
      Participant

Dang she looks crusty! Like a great great grandma!

Barbara
        Participant

Woo hoo! Congrats on such a great piece! Good luck repairing!

Jennifer
          Keymaster

Neat!! Is this one of the first dragons, with the seam in it (before you perfected your casting process)??

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

Starbreeze
            Participant

Wow!!! What a great find!!! πŸ˜€

Andrea
              Participant

Dust her off and let us see more pics!

Melody
                Keymaster

Nambroth wrote:

Neat!! Is this one of the first dragons, with the seam in it (before you perfected your casting process)??

It is possible that this one has a seam in it. Notice that it is a casting of the rough sculpture before it has been sanded and refined. This dragon was cast in a mold that was made off of the original clay sculpture.
                  We need more pics!

cool. i love learning about windstone history!

Purplecat
                  Participant

Wow!! Congrats on finding her!!

Arlla
                    Participant

How COOL is THAT!!! Dust her off, fix her up and treasure her forever!

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."
                      -J R R Tolkien

Heather
                      Participant

Uh . . . wow. Wow wow. 😯 I had no idea. Oh my. Wow. πŸ˜€
                        Okay, that settles it, she gets restored. I will do my very best for her. She’s so broken! πŸ˜₯ I’ll take more photos, maybe this weekend, and you can see. Even in her current condition, though, she’s got a powerful force of personality. Her name is My Lady; the name hit me the moment I opened her box. I’d been resisting the urge to name her that, but there’s no question about it now. She deserves the honor.
                        It’s ironic that I bid on her simply because she was so broken, and I wanted very much to try restoring her. She has so many little chips and some major breaks; I figured she’d keep me happily occupied for months! Now I know she’ll keep me busy, because I want to see her whole again. And although I’d bid on her with the notion of repainting her, I don’t think I’d dare do that now. If I can match her original paint job, I will.
                        Hoo. Wow. (I may be repeating that for a few days!)

Pam

Dang, that girl’s older than I am! I suddenly feel very smallish in the world..

Mel, did you say original CLAY sculpture? I thought you made them out of clay, and then plaster? Are you meaning to tell me that the original family was all made entirely from soft clay?? If that be so, then you ARE a glutton for punishment!

Melody
                          Keymaster

Pam Thompson wrote:

Dang, that girl’s older than I am! I suddenly feel very smallish in the world..

Mel, did you say original CLAY sculpture? I thought you made them out of clay, and then plaster? Are you meaning to tell me that the original family was all made entirely from soft clay?? If that be so, then you ARE a glutton for punishment! Yep.They were all in clay.I was just learning how to sculpt these! At first, I did all the details in soft clay (Water clay, no less). I started cleaning up the castings when we had to remove the seam lines, and figured out that it would be much better (though not faster, by any means)to put the detail into the gypsum casting instead.The details come out cleaner, and the sculpture can be sanded and buffed to a fine polish in gypsum. But it does take FOREVER to do. That is why I get out so few things.

Melody
                            Keymaster

Barrdwing wrote:

Uh . . . wow. Wow wow. 😯 I had no idea. Oh my. Wow. πŸ˜€
                              Okay, that settles it, she gets restored. I will do my very best for her. She’s so broken! πŸ˜₯ I’ll take more photos, maybe this weekend, and you can see. Even in her current condition, though, she’s got a powerful force of personality. Her name is My Lady; the name hit me the moment I opened her box. I’d been resisting the urge to name her that, but there’s no question about it now. She deserves the honor.
                              It’s ironic that I bid on her simply because she was so broken, and I wanted very much to try restoring her. She has so many little chips and some major breaks; I figured she’d keep me happily occupied for months! Now I know she’ll keep me busy, because I want to see her whole again. And although I’d bid on her with the notion of repainting her, I don’t think I’d dare do that now. If I can match her original paint job, I will.
                              Hoo. Wow. (I may be repeating that for a few days!)

I think she was painted with liqutex paint colors called Chrome green mixed with a color called Hooker’s green. The lighter green spots were achieved by wiping off the paint. I painted her myself. Deco brand gold pen can be used to touch up the gold.
                              Does she have a seam line down the back?

Heather
                              Participant
                              Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.