"Bubble" eyes

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody "Bubble" eyes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Heather
    Participant

I ran across a Mother Dragon in the Old Green coloration recently. She has the most peculiar eyes. In each eye there is a pretty big bubble trapped deep in the eye, directly over the pupil. I’ve never seen anything like this before, and it makes me wonder if she is legit. The rest of her looks OK to my admittedly undertrained eye: no felt pad but she has the stamp, she’s just as heavy as my other Green Mother, and where she’s chipped the exposed material is finely grained and doesn’t powder when pressed. It’s just . . . those eyes . . . 😯 Do you recall any “bubble-eyed” dragons from that era? Thanks!

Heather
      Participant

Is yours different from this one?

Skylover
        Participant

This doesn’t sound like my fake one. My fake one has strange looking plastic eyes, is lighter, has the wrong colored crystals on her head, and has green felt on the bottom (no Windstone stamp). She was likely made out of some sort of ceramic material and was air brushed.
          This one does sound very strange though. The fakes are probably more common than the real ones. Do you have any pictures?

Melody
          Keymaster

Barrdwing wrote:

I ran across a Mother Dragon in the Old Green coloration recently. She has the most peculiar eyes. In each eye there is a pretty big bubble trapped deep in the eye, directly over the pupil. I’ve never seen anything like this before, and it makes me wonder if she is legit. The rest of her looks OK to my admittedly undertrained eye: no felt pad but she has the stamp, she’s just as heavy as my other Green Mother, and where she’s chipped the exposed material is finely grained and doesn’t powder when pressed. It’s just . . . those eyes . . . 😯 Do you recall any “bubble-eyed” dragons from that era? Thanks!

I would need a pic to understand what you mean by a bubble over the pupil. The eyes we use are flat on the back, with a depression that is filled with a drop of black glass paint to form the pupil. This gives the pupil a three dimensional appearance from the side. Occasionally our eyes will have clear bubbles trapped in the glass, but those are supposed to be rejected, and not used in the dragons.

Skigod377
            Participant

I wanna see a pic, too.

Heather
              Participant

Fascinating–I’d always wondered how the Windstone eyes managed to look so lifelike. I’ll see if I can get a decent picture of this dragon’s eyes. It’ll be tricky to get the bubbles in focus! They could be just as you say, trapped underneath the material used to make the pupil. I should mention that this poor lady is in pretty awful shape overall, broken and really dirty. πŸ™
                Mimitrek, I looked up the link you sent, and it made me run and take another hard look at mine! Her eyes are orange, though, and the pupils at least seem to be the regular size, and when I tap on them they sound like glass. But I am prone to wishful thinking! πŸ™„

Barrdwing wrote:

Mimitrek, I looked up the link you sent, and it made me run and take another hard look at mine! Her eyes are orange, though, and the pupils at least seem to be the regular size, and when I tap on them they sound like glass. But I am prone to wishful thinking! πŸ™„

If yours is the right weight, then its probably the real thing! πŸ™‚

Heather
                Participant

Okay, here goes. I’ve taken some photos of those crazy eyes and put them on Photobucket. Now I’m going to try my hand at including the links. This could be entertaining for the more experienced forum users to watch. πŸ˜› Popcorn?

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s317/Barrdwing/MLgreen/Ml1.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s317/Barrdwing/MLgreen/Ml2.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s317/Barrdwing/MLgreen/Ml3.jpg

Elena
                  Participant

Interesting…. It just looks like a flaw in the glass to me πŸ˜•

Heather
                    Participant

Photo #1 shows the bubble best. (I’m still amazed that the links work. Thanks for the tutorial, GB!) Sorry about all the dirt on the dragon’s face–I was in a hurry to catch the last of the sun and didn’t even clean her. 😳

Megan
                      Participant

Her eyes are very striking, bubbles or not! Too bad she’s in such poor shape πŸ™

Jodi
                        Participant

It looks like she needs a little TLC. I don’t know about the bubbles though. They do seem odd to me. Maybe the black painted pupil peeled away from the glass of the eye. πŸ˜• Weird.

Jennifer
                          Keymaster

Those look like flawed eyes to me, but Melody can confirm. I have two loose (and I assume un-inspected, since they are loose) Windstone eyeballs here that are like this. Because the pupil is actually an indentation in the glass, a globe within as it were, if it wasn’t painted properly it’d look like a bubble. The eyes I have here are flawed in that the entire pupil is not ‘filled in’ with black, creating a crazy look to the eye very similar to these photos. I’d show you one but I can’t find them- I may have already thrown them away so I wouldn’t accidentally put them in a Windstone. πŸ™

Let’s see what Melody says! πŸ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                            My art: featherdust.com

Melody
                            Keymaster

Quote:

Okay, here goes. I’ve taken some photos of those crazy eyes and put them on Photobucket. Now I’m going to try my hand at including the links. This could be entertaining for the more experienced forum users to watch. πŸ˜› Popcorn?

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s317/Barrdwing/MLgreen/Ml1.jpg Oh-my-gaud… well, believe it or not, what you got there is one of the VERY VERY FIRST dragons we ever produced! I have never seen another one of these super oldies show up before, I have been waiting for one to surface, because I know there are a few out there! They are VERY VERY rare! Maybe as few as thirty six of them, we didn’t keep records.
                              The reason the eye has a bubble look is because the eyes were painted with enamel paint instead of fired glass paint. This looks really nice (notice the reflective metallic look to the orange) however, we found that the paint eventually comes off of the glass! So what you are seeing is the clear depression that the black enamal paint was in. It has since come away from the glass,leaving the clear depression it was in. This dragon is about twenty two years old.
                              She may look weird, but she is an incredible find! We have just one of these ourselves. Congratulations!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.